PDA

View Full Version : Anti-What?

MisRed
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Okay, gotta stir the pot.

I was reading the "Plan B from Our Space" thread and couldn't stop thinking "Wow, it's so nice to have an intelligent debate regarding things like Plan B, no matter what faith someone is." until I got to the Pagans vs. Christians biting.

I can't leave well enough alone and I still don't accept the statements "those damn dirty Pagans" anymore than "those stupid Christians." Yes, faith gives people a ledge to place their beliefs on, but it's not up to /anyone/ on any board to change anyone elseís idea of what's "right". I come here, knowing that I'm not going to agree with everything I read. I know that if I wanted to go read sycophantic drivel, I wouldn't be in a place where strong willed women (and men) congregate.

Yes, there are "evangelical pagans" as often as there are "tolerant christians" and as often as there are "non-kvetching jews". Just because a member of a faith is an asshole, doesn't mean /I'm/ gonna paint the whole faith that way.... it means /that/ person is an asshole. And thereís nothing in any faith that says you canít refuse to deal with someone, because they are an asshole.

I donít think the Guild as a whole is any particular faith friendly, but maybe thatís just my take, since I refuse to accept someone talking nastily about any religion as a cooment about /me/.

Mairi the Herbwench
12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Hear, Hear! People should be judged (what a harsh word) on who they are - not what religion they claim.

aspen
12-14-2005, 07:33 AM
And their words are a pretty good measure of who they are.

Aspen

KissMeKate
12-14-2005, 09:31 AM
This board has been subject to many heated debates and I doubt that will change in the near future. It's difficult to say let's all be tolerant and then actually do it. We're all entitled to our opinions, which aren't going to be the same as the next persons. And reading and replying to posts on this board is a choice we all make.

It hasn't just been religion issues, there have been political, regional, and even personal issues that have created arguements and discussions. Some people argue to be the devil's advocate and to initiate mature conversation, some people are just naturally confrontational. And when the debate becomes innane drivel, you stop reading that thread and go on to the next conversation.

No one is always right, it's always a matter of opinion.

Pathos
12-14-2005, 09:42 AM
People should be judged (what a harsh word) on who they are - not what religion they claim.
Religion can be a big part of who someone is.

Mairi the Herbwench
12-14-2005, 10:58 AM
People should be judged (what a harsh word) on who they are - not what religion they claim.

Religion can be a big part of who someone is.

True - but you still need to judge the person - not all Catholics are the same, not all Pagans are the same - etc. It's how you use what you've got.

Drea Beth
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
From the "What a Wench Is, and Isn't" page:

2. We are not PC. We are not threatened. We are unafraid to stand firm in our judgements.
3. We are not threatened by those who intend to intimidate us, and we will *not* be subdued.

Explains a lot on why so many of us argue our positions so fiercly! :)

Alianne
12-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I donít think the Guild as a whole is any particular faith friendly, but maybe thatís just my take, since I refuse to accept someone talking nastily about any religion as a cooment about /me/.

Well, this is a pot I'm going to stir a bit.

I *do* think the *boards* (not necessarily the Guild itself), by calling a forum 'Wicca/Religion', at least *appears* to be more 'Pagan Friendly' because of the wording. I understand *why* -- I'm fairly sure there's a higher percentage of Wiccans/Pagans in the Guild membership and participating on the boards than in the general population -- and that the *intent* was to create a safe haven of sorts....but over time, and with how certain attitudes to pop up in that forum, that that forum can often present itself as being 'non-Pagan/Wiccan Friendly'.

There have been instances of religion 'bashing' in that forum, let's face it. There have been. And it's usually Christians who are getting bashed -- or overgeneralized, at the very least.

I think it's important for some who post in that forum to remember that although yes, it's a 'safe haven' for Wiccans and Pagans to discuss, debate and feel comfortable in ways they often are denied the opportunity to in the 'outside world', that the forum is *not* their personal, private playground and that *other* religions have just as much right to post discussions there and have their views tolerated. (Which is, of course, different from asshatoholic behavior -- but if you're going to call someone out on bad behavior or inflamatory statements, make sure you're calling out the *individual* and not using too wide a paint brush when doing so).

[note: edited to clarify a point and for grammar]

Jessa
12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I agree wholeheartedly, but I still reserve my right to kvetch when it suits me ;)