PDA

View Full Version : Lestat

Jessa
01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I saw the Lestat musical last night during its preview run in SF. As a fan of the novels, but not much of Broadway musicals, I wasn't expecting much yet I couldn't not go.

I went with a friend who hasn't read the books, but was bouncy and excited simply to be going to the theatre. She recued my poor husband who was dreading the event, but wouldn't make me go alone. She is exactly the kind of person to go with - her excitement was contangious. I decided I was going to have fun and I did.

The actual show probably didn't contribute to this as much as it could have. The first half was rushed by cramming too plot into too short a time. My companion had a hard time following some of it since she didn't already know the story. You shouldn't have to have pre-read to follow this kind of show. The pacing didn't allow one to get pulled into the story enough or really feel for many of the characters.

The second half was distinctly better in this regaurd, partly because there is less to cover, and partly because it stays with the same few characters for most of it.

I got tickets before the reviews were out, and once I have tickets for something, I try not to spoil anything by reading reviews. Today I got curious, and discovered that Lestat has been met with almost universally scathing criticism.

Despite my enjoyment of the evening, I can't say the bad press is undeserved. They do hit the mark on the hurried plot, supporting characters that are underdeveloped, and forgettable songs (execpt for the kinda annoying "I Want More"). Some of the actors gave good performances and the costumes were beautiful.

WenchLadyKate
01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
They've got the theatre in Times Square all decked out to go for this. When I orignally heard about it I rolled my eyes so far into the back of my head I got dizzy. Then I thought about it and got excited about it. I'm sorry it sorta sucked. I might still check it out if they have tickets at the half price ticket place. Thanks for the review, and for saving my money on full price tickets!

Jessa
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
The other thing some of the reviews noted was the that show had been tweeked a few times during the SF run, and might undergo some bigger revisions prior to the Broadway opening. I hope so, because there are some good things going for this production and it would be nice to see it realize more of its potential.

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Yes, the show is in "out of town previews" right now. It's the phase where it's still in its infancy and they're basically experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

The show that eventually gets put on stage opening night on Broadway can (and often does) wildly differ from the show that is put on in the out of town previews.