PDA

View Full Version : Lost...

MaidenFaeSnow
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
This week, I lost a very dear family friend...to breast cancer.

Most of us think of breast cancer as having a rather high survival rate, which is true when caught early.
The fact is, that approx. 40,410 women died from breast cancer in 2005, and 460 men.

The friend that I lost this week was only 57 years old. She has been an icon in my life since I was 2.
She found a lump 7 years ago and went to the doctor, found she had breast cancer and was treated.
She survived and went on to lead a normal life, until several weeks ago. She wasn't feeling well and
thinking she had a sinus infection went back to the doctor. Not only had her cancer returned, it had
spread to her lungs and brain.

Tomorrow, January 28, 2006...I will burry my friend.
http://www.creepingevil.com/Karen_Kathy2.jpg

I'm writing this to you because I care. Please take a moment each month to do a breast self-exam.
Please take several moments to visit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (http://www.komen.org)
website to educate yourself about what CAN happen to you or someone you love.

It costs nothing to become educated on this topic.

It could cost you your life to do nothing.

Rowen
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
My prayers go with you. ::hug::
Each time I am tempted to skip my momogram; I think of my children and how devastated they would be if they lost me. I had my latest one on monday; it was clear.

Rowen

Mistress Lisette
01-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Dearest Maiden, I'm sorry for your loss. My own Mom is a survivor, having undergone a mastectomy. As a result and b/c of the two wonderful guys in my life (hubby and son), I'm pretty diligent about self examinations and mammograms. Thank you for reaching beyond your grief and reminding us to take care of ourselves.
~Lisette

Aryani
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh..... :grouphug: ::hug:: I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :cry: You'll be in my thoughts, as will your friend.

Jules
01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
My aunt is a survivor and reminder that no one is safe from this. My prayers are with you at this very difficult time...

http://1000smilies.com/pinkribbon.gif

Mairi the Herbwench
01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
My mom had breast cancer twice, surviving both times - and this was before chemo. She died of unrealted causes. My sister in law - (a month younger than me) died last November from breast cancer that had metastazied. My husband's aunt died the year before that from breast cancer.

I've been getting mammograms since I was 30, and there's nothing worse that the phone call "we saw something on you mammo." Luckily, it was benign.

Get checked - don't put it off - you will be amazed at how many people you are important to. Maiden, my deepest condolences on your loss, and grateful thanks for the reminder.

Alchemist23
01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
*hug*

Selena
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
It costs nothing to become educated on this topic.

It could cost you your life to do nothing.

I lost my maternal aunt to breast cancer 7 years ago. Had she been one to be afraid to see the doctors when she had the first signs, she would probably still be here if she caught it early. In the early stages, she did nothing.

In the end, it had spread all over her body and she just gave up. She died in her own home with my mother (her sister), my stepdad and myself to hear her last breath. Ladies, never be afraid to face up to this and fight for your life. It's worth it as on a lighter note, I have friends who fought it with chemo and won. They are only in their late 30's.

Lady Laurel
01-27-2006, 02:42 PM
I am so sorry I truly feel for you."Hugs" You will be in my prayers.

I keep hoping there is going to be some cure for it.
My mother died or ovarian cancer so girls get your regular Pap smears to. Both are very very important.

MaidenFaeSnow
01-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Thank you all so much for your support. Yesterday was a very hard day but it was also beautiful, warm and sunny, just the kind of day she would have loved. There were hundreds and hundreds of people attending, she was well loved.

Peaches O Malley
01-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. ::bighug::

Both my mom and my sister have found small bumps which were thankfully non-malignant cysts.
Had my first mamogram this year, no it's not pleasant but it is necessary so ladies, please get checked.

:grouphug:

Buxom Wench
01-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Maiden, love hugs blessings & prayers to you and your friends famly.

I know the feeling.

I lost my father to breast cancer and my mom is a breast cancer survivor.

I get a mammogram every 6 months.

About 2 years ago, the dr. found a lump. He said it was probably a cyst and we should wait 6 months and then see how it was doing. At that point, I said, let's take it out now and then we'll see what else has to be done.
I have since found a new doctor.

People, and I mean Ladies AND Gentlemen, get checked. It doesn't take a lot of time but it could save your life.

Saucy Ria
01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Maiden, I am so very sorry for your loss.... Thank you for thinking of your sister wenches in your time of sorrow.
The letter came today, the hospital was happy to inform me that my mamogram was clear! I had been on pins and needles since last week because I just didn't like the sudden change in the once overly perky tech's demeanor after she had seen my films. You try to convince yourself that it's just you being over sensitive, but you can't help but flash to the memory of the horrible mastecomy scar on your beloved mother's chest. Lose your breath when you think of your children going through the same fears and agony that go with having a sick mother. Truely realize that you just aren't ready to leave your soulmate yet. Irrational yes, out of the realm of possibility? Of course not. That is why I go for this test every year. This is why tears fall even when the news is good.
PLEASE go for your mamo..... It's not that bad, even when the machine's computer crashes with your boobie smashed in it's claws! YOu deserve to know you are safe, you deserve the benfits of early detection if, GOD FORBID, there is something there. THe poeple who love and need you deserve whatever effort it takes for you to stay in thier lives! GO GET SQUISHED!!!

MaidenFaeSnow
02-01-2006, 08:40 AM
My sisters, you are truly wonderful..you all have really helped me through this.

The last time I had my pap I asked about a mamo and my doctor told me it wasn't necessary, I was too young (I was 38!) and should wait until I turned 40. Well, I'm going to see a different doctor in a different office. The one I had before made me feel rushed, like I was taking up too much of her time. Too much of her time?? This is MY life!! I guess her mission is not "First do no harm..."

Anyway, for any of us who have given birth, the discomfort of a mamo should be a snap to get through (c'mon girls we can handle it!) And for those of you who have not yet had kids, the rest of us are here to tell you, YOU CAN HANDLE IT TOO!!!!

I made a donation to the Susan G. Komen Breat Cancer Research Foundation, it wasn't much, but it's amazing how good it made me feel because not only am I helping others, I'm helping me too. We should all feel good about keeping our boobies healthy!

Selena
02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
The last time I had my pap I asked about a mamo and my doctor told me it wasn't necessary, I was too young (I was 38!) and should wait until I turned 40. Well, I'm going to see a different doctor in a different office. The one I had before made me feel rushed, like I was taking up too much of her time. Too much of her time?? This is MY life!! I guess her mission is not "First do no harm..."

Anyway, for any of us who have given birth, the discomfort of a mamo should be a snap to get through (c'mon girls we can handle it!) And for those of you who have not yet had kids, the rest of us are here to tell you, YOU CAN HANDLE IT TOO!!!!

After my aunt died, I tried to get a mammo, but the insurance company (fuckers!) wouldn't cover it... I was ONLY 30, they said! My doc at the time (damned if he didn't retire) was cool and pushed it though, though.

Mammos don't hurt if you're large like me. A bit on the awkard side perhaps, but no pain when I had mine. My tattoos hurt... this did not.

Lady Sarah
02-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I had my first baseline mammo at 30. what makes it sad is that even with a two time surivor in my family history and all of the other combined cancerous history in my family, I was told more than once that I still didn't need a mammo until I was 35. Stupid people...

And, it didn't hurt. I felt pressure, that was it.

Ysobelle
02-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Exact same thing happened to me-- I was too young, it wasn't my mother who'd had cancer but her sister, so that didn't count-- gah. I found a new doctor, and she wrote me a referral right away. I just have to go do it now.

Lady Sarah
02-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Exact same thing happened to me-- I was too young, it wasn't my mother who'd had cancer but her sister, so that didn't count-- gah. I found a new doctor, and she wrote me a referral right away. I just have to go do it now.

Don't make me fly to PA and drag you to your doctor.

Mistress Lisette
02-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I can't believe that there are *still* doctors out there who tell women to wait or that they're too young. That's bullshit. I'm pretty busty but mammos hurt and paps pinch, but, hey, it's my life and I'm fighting for it all the way. I don't care if I become that annoying woman that doctors hate to see coming down the hallway. Okay, venting at a**hole doctors slightly done.

My Dad died of cancer that started off as testicular, the cancer was removed, then came back with a vengeance and invaded every frickin' organ--including his brain--and his blood all within 4 months. My grandfather died of stomach cancer, and, like I mentioned earlier, my Mom's a breast cancer survivor. So, ladies, take care of yourselves and remind your rogues to get checked, too.

::bighug:: :grouphug:

After all, the world needs wenches and rogues to keep its balance!
~Lisette

Selena
02-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I can't believe that there are *still* doctors out there who tell women to wait or that they're too young. That's bullshit.
~Lisette

With my experiences, it wasn't necessarily the *doctor* making the ruling, really... more like they know the insurance companies won't PAY if you don't meet XYZ criteria. I hate these damned insurance companies... they have NO idea what's going on in my life, yet seem to find it okay to deny preventative health care benefits that the doc has approved.

Edited: Although I'm sure there are some docs out there who still try to deny the truths to the younger patients...

Mistress Lisette
02-01-2006, 02:12 PM
With my experiences, it wasn't necessarily the *doctor* making the ruling, really... more like they know the insurance companies won't PAY if you don't meet XYZ criteria. I hate these damned insurance companies... they have NO idea what's going on in my life, yet seem to find it okay to deny preventative health care benefits that the doc has approved.

True, true. Ah, hell, I'm kinda pissed at the whole system, but especially the insurance companies and doctors who think they're god. Also, some insurance companies actually pay extra $$ to doctors *not* to run tests. These are usually the HMOS...

~Lisette

Buxom Wench
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
True, true. Ah, hell, I'm kinda pissed at the whole system, but especially the insurance companies and doctors who think they're god. Also, some insurance companies actually pay extra $$ to doctors *not* to run tests. These are usually the HMOS...

~Lisette

That reminds of when I had my hystorectomy (sp?)
The insurance company rep called me at 8:30 pm. the night before my surgery to ask if I really thought this was necessary.
My reply:

Listen lady, if you think that feeling like someone is stabbing you with white hot irons and then poring acid in them is something you want to feel for years to come, you must be insane.
I took down her name, ID # and all the info I could think of at the time so I could call her supervisor after surgery.

That moron told me it was procedure to make sure that its what the patient wants and not something the doctor is forcing them into.

I told said moron that if that's the policy, fine, but don't wait until 10 hours before the patient is supposed to be at the hospital to call, there is enough anxiety already without adding second doubts.

And Ysobelle, I'll gladly drive to PA to take you to the dr. myself.
After all, we love you and want you around for a long time to come.

Selena
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
That reminds of when I had my hystorectomy (sp?)
The insurance company rep called me at 8:30 pm. the night before my surgery to ask if I really thought this was necessary.
My reply:

Listen lady, if you think that feeling like someone is stabbing you with white hot irons and then poring acid in them is something you want to feel for years to come, you must be insane.
I took down her name, ID # and all the info I could think of at the time so I could call her supervisor after surgery.

That moron told me it was procedure to make sure that its what the patient wants and not something the doctor is forcing them into.

I told said moron that if that's the policy, fine, but don't wait until 10 hours before the patient is supposed to be at the hospital to call, there is enough anxiety already without adding second doubts.

ACK! :irked: That's some policy! How offensive!

Lady Laurel
02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
I have always been told to start having them when I was 40 but now yall got me thinking if I can get it done during my next pap smear I will. There is so much cancer in my family it would me silly if I did not do that. After all women under 40 get breast cancer to. Its just so scary. I just usually go into panics every year that I have to have a pap smear I am so terrified they are going to tell me I have the same thing my mother did.