PDA

View Full Version : What's the WORST book you've ever read?

Morte
06-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I'd have a hard time naming the absolute worst but i recently read a strong contender, an older Harlequin romance called "A Ranch , A Ring and Everything" if you see this book RUN, run fast, run far and don't stop! i started reading it cuz it was short (and free my mom gave me a bag of old romances) and i wanted something mindless... wellll i sure got it! i only finished the book out of sick fascination.. i couldn't believe how bad it was.. yet it kept getting worse! the characters were TERRIBLE the plot not only predictable but unbelievable and did we REALLY need a helpless puppy to even things out?

aniwho it got me wondering...what "gems" have you found?

Molly
06-16-2003, 01:43 AM
joseph conrad's "heart of darkness" - i had to read it in a high school AP class and it still haunts my night mares....

and "ulysses" - i can't remember who it's by, but :shock: ... i'd like to know what he was on when he wrote it

Molly

Kiji
06-16-2003, 02:17 AM
A old Romance novel called The worlds Greatest Novel..it had to be the worst I ever read. Not to say I didnt enjoy laughing over it :)

emalia
06-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Without any hesitation or thought.. Watership Down.

Bonnie
06-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Watership Down was the worst?????

I LOVE that book! It's one of my reccomended books. I have read it about ten of fifteen times over the years.

what's not to like?

jmthane
06-16-2003, 03:12 PM
I believe Ulysses is by James Joyce. Could be wrong though - I'm very brain dead today - but I think that's right.

Nevada
06-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Need a good chuckle? Checkout the Fabio books...Hes a nice guy...met him a couple of times...but the books I giggled through

Bonnie
06-16-2003, 05:20 PM
By and large, the worst books have been the cheap romance novels....but I HATE HATE HATE one book I read in high school...likely because of the teacher who assigned it and gave SUCH an assignment that it took all the joy out of reading it..Martin Eden...UGH UGH UGH!!!

Mad Kestrel
06-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Panda Ray, by Michael Somebody-or-Other It was a science fiction book that sported the worst kind of cliched characters and a plot that you could poke holes through with a wet linguine.

It was such a dreadful read that my best friend and I held a book burning :flamed: and destroyed her copy. Avoid it at all costs.

Mairi the Herbwench
06-27-2003, 01:27 PM
My sadistics text book.

Theodore Sturgeon said "90% of everything is crap" and that holds true for most books - I'm highly selective.

Ysobelle
06-27-2003, 02:20 PM
My sadistics text book.

Oh, now THAT'S gotta be an interesting read. Does it come with a flogger?

Mairi the Herbwench
06-27-2003, 02:22 PM
It should have! Good thing I took it over the summer - don't think I could have done a whole semester of it...

Daelyn
06-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I'd have to say "Portrait of an Artist" and "Ullyses", both by James Joyce, tie for worst book. I got forced into reading them repeated while getting my first degree, because he's "such a pioneer", and "an amazing writer". He may have been the first to use a technique, but that sure as chocolate doesn't make him the best.

'Nise
06-30-2003, 06:38 PM
some corny romance I got for 50 cents at a grage sale called "the Rebel Bride."
In the end, after being nonconsensually raped by her "husband" who threatened her to marry him (the rebelious heroine folded everytime the, dare I call it "plot" went against her) she accpets him back with open arms. GAH! I'd have booted the bastard in the balls and taken trophies!:rant:
Not that I'm opinated in any way :haloslip:
Love ya
'Nise

Jamianne
07-01-2003, 01:28 PM
The absolute worst book I can remeber reading..."A Catcher in the Rye" by Sallinger. And I had to read it twice...once in high school and again in college. I absolutely *DESPISED* it the first time I read it and it didn't get any better the second! :pfft:

Megan Campbell of Feather
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Icy Sparks - worst worst book I've ever read. It was on Oprah's list. Nope made no sense to me at all.

Best Books - the two books written by Wally Lamb - "She's Come Undone" and "This Much I Know is True"

I love to read - books have become my escape while unemployed.

Alchemist23
08-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Emalia, ditto on the Watership Down thing...I tried to read it twice my Freshman year in High School, but, blah...couldn't get into it.

Other candidate? Spell for Chameleon, by Piers Anthony. A completely, laughable, fluffy read, with annoying characters who spend half the time naked for no apparent reason. Is the author obsessed with this? In the Blue Adept series...much better read BTW...the serfs were always naked too. And the woman, a woman who changes from ugly and intellengent, then to beautiful and dumb and back agian? It is like equating the two together, I found the concept re-dic-u-lous, and was disgusted when the lead male character said he liked having her because he didn't want someone stupid or ugly, so he got the best of both worlds. (As long as he didn't have to hold a conversation, or sleep with her during the respective spells)

The only reason I finished this book was because I finished it in one sitting practically...it was an easy read. I don't see why people like the Xanth series so much if that book is indicative of the quality of the series. Blue Adept much better. Like the concepts of dualities, etc......

Anyway, shutting up now. :tp: I cannot believe there is actually a toilet paper icon...I LOVE these forums!

Lady D
08-01-2003, 10:22 PM
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon.htm

"The Eye of Argon". It's a story rather than a book, but sci-fi conventions have reading contests to see who can get through the most without cracking up. It's absolutely horrid. It sounds like someone tried to use a thesaurus waaaay too much.

Bonnie
08-02-2003, 03:43 AM
OMG!!!! That IS terrible.

Reminds me of an episode of MASH in which Radar takes a writing course, and spends the rest of the episode writing down/narrating the events that unfold during the course of the show...

The result was exactly the same. Like a dictionary threw up on his notebook.

Tempest_Gypsy
08-03-2003, 06:13 PM
I got as far as

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

before I almost fell out of my chair.

Bonnie
08-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Then you got further than I did.

:bow: :snarf:

Alchemist23
08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Ok, that eye of Argon thing...yeah, that tops the list. Really bad, I didn't make it through the first couple of sentences without cracking up. Was it written as a joke? This couldn't have been serious right?

The best part was at the end, which I skipped to...

But as a labor of love for those whose 3rd-generation copies have now suscummed to the bitter vicissitudes of time and entropy, worn away by the ravages of countelss re-readings before entralled audiances, yet who have found that the the heady flavor of its stylistic paragraphs has seeped into their soul and still grips it with a fervid grasp,

That was beautiful...poetry... (the spelling...haha) :lol:

Jeannie Fitzgerald
08-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Centaur Aisle (yes, Aisle, not Isle) by Piers Anthony and Number of the Beast by Rober Heinlen Tie for worst. Both came across a being written by a pre-adolescent trying to sound naughty. Yeesh! Second place? I got bogged down in the second book of the Dune series by the incessant dialogue that seemed to go nowhere at the beginning.

As for people not liking Watership Down, it just goes to show how people's tastes differ. I loved Watership Down and have no idea how many times I've read it!

Abigail
08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
UGH....

Crime and Punishment.. 897 pages of HELLL. I hated that book.

ooh ooh and I second the nomination for Heart of Darkness. ICK :thumbsdo:

And my massage text book. It's boring and the illistrations look like a 5 year old made them.

And uh, the book about the kid who fall s out of the tree, uh, oh yeah, a seperate peace. :blech:

This makes me want to go home and read.. a good book.

::sigh::

-A

Kristianne the MerWench
08-11-2003, 03:20 PM

ooh ooh and I second the nomination for Heart of Darkness. ICK :thumbsdo:

And my massage text book. It's boring and the illistrations look like a 5 year old made them.

And uh, the book about the kid who fall s out of the tree, uh, oh yeah, a seperate peace. :blech:

This makes me want to go home and read.. a good book.

Ok, I second Crime and Punishment as being really awful. But I LOVED Heart of Darkness and A Separate Peace. Then again, I've tried to read Wuthering Heights 5 times and have never gotten past chapter 5. Not one admirable character in the whole book.

I know I'm gonna make some enemies here, but I think that taken as a whole, the Wheel of Time books are some of the worst I've read. I honestly believe that Robert Jordan has never met a woman who wasn't a harpy. Naturally, I'm all for strong-willed female characters, but can we please get through a chapter without one of them shrieking in fury? I managed to get through book, umm, 5, I think, before I gave up.

Ariel
08-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Worst book I ever tried to read (emphasis on try) was Lady Chatterly's Lover. I just couldn't get through it, ever. It still sits, taunting me because I hate to leave books unfinished. I also didn't like Wuthering Heights, and then there was this dreadful sci-fi book I read once but I can't remember what its name was, just remember the cover of this woman standing there. It was god awful.
In regards to the Wheel of Time series, I enjoy it, but think the women characters could be better. And I think Jordan could hurry up and get to the point. :evil: The last book was drivel, pure drivel.

Bonnie
08-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Now see...I LOVED Wuthering Heights.

Catherine's exclamation, "...I AM Heathcliff!!" reverbated through my entire soul. I had a love very similar, once. It is one of my favorite books.

Leela
08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Now see...I LOVED Wuthering Heights.

Catherine's exclamation, "...I AM Heathcliff!!" reverbated through my entire soul. I had a love very similar, once. It is one of my favorite books.

Aye, Bonnie,

A breathtaking, passionate story. Get's the blood moving, if you know what I mean.

As for the WORST book (that I actually read through)...one of the last L'Engle young adult novels, and I've blocked out the name...but it involves Vicki getting stranded with a mess of penguins :shock: an absolute mess. But she wrote A Wrinkle in Time and that makes up for a lot of her later drivel.

I tend to forget the ones I choose not to read.

LynneD
08-18-2003, 10:44 AM
I thought "Bedlam's Bard" by Mercedes Lackey was utter dreck. I couldn't understand why my sister, an English teacher, for God's sake, recommended it so highly. Did it even have a plot?

renfairegypsy
08-18-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure if it's a book or just a short story, but "Maggie, A Girl of the Streets" by Stephen Crane was something we had to read in AP English and I couldn't even focus on it. It was so bad I had no idea what was going on.

OldMarriedWench
08-18-2003, 09:45 PM
I used to LOVE the Xanth series...they're ridiculously punny, so I got sick of them, but I didn't find it offensive. Chameleon, the female character to whom you're referring, went through these changes over monthly cycles--her dominant feature when she was beautiful was that she was stupid, true, but as I recall, the point of the hag phase was that she was disagreeable, perhaps because she was so much smarter than everyone else, which is certainly not a bad thing to think about a woman, ugly or not, right? I sort of assumed that her curse was Anthony's way of addressing PMS in some fashion, and really, why take science fiction/fantasy seriously?
My worst boojk ever? Shadowfires, by Dean Koontz. Actually contains the line, "And as he watched her go, the moth flickered near his face, as if in that moment, his love for her caused him to glow brighter than the overhead light." puh-leese!
Also a book by Iris Johanson--something in the title bout "Midnight..." just horrible. Within the first five pages, she described the main heroine as a tough cookie three times.

CinD
12-10-2003, 02:05 PM
anything written by Johanna Lindsey. I'm very good about reading a poorly written book all the way to the end and have never thrown away a book. Ever. Until I read hers. I think what I resented the most was wasting my time reading to the end and hoping it would get better and it never did and I could have been reading something so much more rewarding. ugh! Don't like Lindsey's books. Sorry if I offend - don't mean to - but you *did* ask! ;) {hugs} cc

purple stars
12-14-2003, 03:51 AM
So far in my 19 years of life I have not read a book that I ave never liked. Oh wait I take that back, I really don't like anything done by. Oh Anubis what is her name???? Danile Shilles. I think that is how you spell it :? Sorry to anyone out there that likes her and that I spelled her name wrong.:( not good at spelling. I was reading one of her books and I could just not make my way threw the first ten pages.

KatieMac
12-18-2003, 10:51 PM
anything written by Johanna Lindsey. I'm very good about reading a poorly written book all the way to the end and have never thrown away a book. Ever. Until I read hers.

You know, I think Johanna Lindsey is one of those authors who you either love or hate. I have a couple of her books on my keeper shelf, but there are others that just didn't do it for me. As an author I know that you aren't going to please all readers all the time, but I admit that JL is one of those writers who always keeps me guessing as to whether I'm going to find a keeper or a passer-on. :)

Katie

syndony
12-22-2003, 01:52 AM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame. by Victor Hugo..wordy, wordy, wordy. Took me 6mths to read it instead of the usual 6 days. There was so much in there that wasn't necessary.
Peace,
Syndony

Entropy
12-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Silas Marner by George Eliot and The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck were two books that I had to read in high school and absolutely HATED! I'll read just about anything and have had a 3 book/week habit since I was a teen, but I just could not make it through those two.

ugh!

Marguerite
12-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Ethan Frome was pretty awful, I thought, but I--what are we up to, third? the motion for Heart of Darkness. For god's sake, Conrad, we get the point! No need to beat us over the head with it! Is there a single paragraph in that book that doesn't have some form of the words "dark" or "black" in it?

Jeannie Fitzgerald
12-24-2003, 08:21 PM
I have enjoyed all of the Michael Crichton (sp?) books I've read (and I've read them all including the ones he wrote under pseudonyms) except the last one I partially read. I forget the title but it was semi-autobiograpical and about his personal philosophies. He got so full of himself I finally trashed the book!

'Nise
12-24-2003, 08:57 PM
I had a creative writing teacher tear apart Criton's work. Mostly becuase of gramerical issues and lack of descriptions. I'm a pretty hard core genre gal, and his stuff usually does not fall into my range.
Dickon's serial novels I have a problem getting through. He was a good writer, but it was a mistake to pay him by the word! Shorter stories like A Christmas Carol I have no problem with.
Love
'Nise

lauradake
01-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Second place? I got bogged down in the second book of the Dune series by the incessant dialogue that seemed to go nowhere at the beginning.

Yeah, that one didn't do much for me, either.

I think I've effectively blocked out all the bad books I've read, over the years. Selective memory can be a great thing, sometimes. :)

hhrvt
01-05-2004, 08:20 PM
ill go with both "heart of darkness" and "portrait of the artist" and im going to add "catch 22" all 3 were required in my hs AP lit class *vomit* think the only one of the 3 i finished was heart of darkness

MissyAdo
01-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I'd have a hard time naming the absolute worst but i recently read a strong contender, an older Harlequin romance called "A Ranch , A Ring and Everything" if you see this book RUN, run fast, run far and don't stop! i started reading it cuz it was short (and free my mom gave me a bag of old romances) and i wanted something mindless... wellll i sure got it! i only finished the book out of sick fascination.. i couldn't believe how bad it was.. yet it kept getting worse! the characters were TERRIBLE the plot not only predictable but unbelievable and did we REALLY need a helpless puppy to even things out?

aniwho it got me wondering...what "gems" have you found?

I guess I'm just rebelious, but I actually want to read this "gem" now.

Worst? Hmmmm. The Accidental Tourist? I think that's what it was. I was a voratious reader in High School but I couldn't force my way through that one...maybe I'll try it again sometime. I've been amazed at what I get out of books when I reread them, especially when its been a long time.

Watership Down is easily in my top 10! I always thought it was a book that everyone could find something appealing about. Guess I was wrong.

And I'll get flack for this I know but LOTR is my second least favorite book(s). I've read it several times now too. After the first time I figured that I must have missed something to have disliked it so very much but after the third time I realized that I just don't like the story. (With the exception to the Tom Bombidil sequence.)

VivaLeMongoose
06-23-2004, 12:28 AM
[quote=Abigail]

I agree! I hated that book so much I didn't even finish it, and I always finish books I start. I think it was the boring double homicide that really turned me off about it. :yawn: Damn summer reading.

Close second on my list: "The Scarlet Letter." Also "Mists of Avalon," for blatant and overbearing axe-grinding, which ruined what was otherwise a fantastic novel.

Isabelle Warwicke
06-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I know it's a classic but......
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
I have a 50 page rule. I will read the first 50 pages of a book to give it a chance. I didn't make it past 22 with this one. I felt schizophrenic. Is it legal for a sentance to last 3/4 of a page and contain 17 commas? I really wanted to read this book to. It was so critically acclaimed.

Magdalene
06-23-2004, 02:09 AM
OK--it's a tie between two Harlequin Romance novels. I do enjoy these novels, but I do read them understanding that they're mindless entertainment, good for killing an hour or two. However, these two...

1.) I don't remember the title, but here's the plotline in a nutshell--rich 20 year old girl runs away from home to protest that her father suddenly dumped her mother for a babe half his age. Hero is sent to bring girl home. They fall in love, get married--turns out Hero is cousin to girl's new stepmom. Girl is total bitch to stepmom, because from her POV, this hussy wrecked her parents' marriage. Everybody tells Girl that she is a complete brat. (OK, she is being a bitch, but I don't know how many of us would be kind to the woman who wrecked our parents' marriage.) Girl is finally advised by both her parents that they had gone their own ways a long time ago, they just stayed married because they didn't care enough to get a divorce, and didn't she feel like a childish brat now? Well, while the Girl *was* a brat--she didn't exactly know her parents weren't in love anymore! I found the treatment of the heroine annoying--if she really WAS such a bitch, then why was I supposed to like her?

2.) I think this one was called "Obsession" or "Fascination". Heroine is a twenty-something-year-old big-time model hiding secret from Hero--he'd actually met her when she was an ugly teenager. She changed her name, had plastic surgery done, and was out to make him fall in love with her then reject him in the name of revenge because he'd rejected her when she was FOURTEEN and he was TWENTY-FOUR. She, however, decided he'd rejected her because she was ugly. I can understand her thinking this in her teen years, but by adulthood you'd think she would have figured out that he'd likely rejected her because he didn't feel like getting written up for statutory rape. Annoyingly enough, Hero points out to her in the book that she'd been a minor at the time--but this fact gets glossed over. Why Hero would have wanted a woman that insecure and that grudge-holding is beyond me.

Anabelle
06-24-2004, 03:09 PM
I have to vote for anything by Danielle Steel. It's kind of the mad libs method of writing a book.

Magdalene
06-24-2004, 05:20 PM
I have to vote for anything by Danielle Steel. It's kind of the mad libs method of writing a book.

Mad Libs? I think it's the same book over and over, just change the names, date, and location. Heroine is tragically orphaned as a child. Heroine is sexually abused. Heroine has tragic love affair.

Same could be said for John Saul's books too....

Anabelle
06-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Mad libs are the a story with certain words left out. You fill in the blanks to create your version of the story. They are designed as an activity to teach kids their parts of speech in a fun way. They can actually be quite amusing when adults get their grubby paws on them. :twisted:

Adriana Rose
06-24-2004, 06:21 PM
UMM I would have to say that the worst book that I have ever read is Around the World in 80 days. I had to read it for my freshman english class. (shudder)

Morgaine
06-24-2004, 11:46 PM
I'll have to vote for 2 books I had to read in high school:

Old Man in the Sea - never finished it. Hated it. Couldn't understand it. Thank heavens for Cliffs Notes for the test.

Lord of the Flies - HATE that book beyond reason!!! hated it so much, I couldn't finish it (and I finish everything), and watched the movie during class because I never cut class, and at least I had a hope of passing the test. That one still makes me growl.

grygrrl
09-07-2004, 02:00 AM
I read some drivel by Fabio--the long haired model for all the bodice-busters in like the 80's and it was the Godawfullest load of CRAPOLA. I laughed until I cried and I could not believe anyone would actually PAY for such rubbish.

biker
09-07-2004, 10:09 AM
David Copperfield. Got tired of the "Oh woe is me Im in dire straights, oh youll help me out." If the little frecker would get a job instead of relying on others he wouldnt have been in dire straights.

Anything by Anne Mcaffery. way too wordy.

Watership down was great though.

Katerinka Kotenoka
09-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Okay, gotta say.. I love almost anything written by Pearl S. Buck. She really puts you in the book... I also love Amy Tan, but HATED the one I can't remember the title to..it's the one they made the movie out of...it just jumped around way too much... you read one mother story, then some other daughter story, then another mother, etc...if they put the mother to daughter together it'd be better, instead of trying to remember, is this that one's mother/daughter?
I like Piers Anthony, for the play on words, but some of his books are rather long winded. I admire Tolkien, but geez! Like I need to know exactly what the trees looked like! Tolkien is wonderful, but long winded!

Dragonfly
09-07-2004, 03:43 PM
DR. ZHIVAGO!!! :yuck:
I freakin hated it! ARGH!!!
It makes a nice thick footrest, or a doorstop.

Although...I must grudgingly admit that the author managed to interweave 6 unrelated characters in to something that resembled a cohesive story and I have since been informed that such is the way of Russian authors.
Blech.
however, I loved all the other classical books mentioned thus far, save Martin Eden. Yeah, that'n was wierd.

I also think that if you are FORCED to read something, you're going to hate it. I decided I was going to read it like a crazy person and form my own opinion on everything we went thru in school before I was told how to analyze it, that way I would actually appreciate it. S'why I still love Shakespeare to this day.. (Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...)

Also not a big fan of Ayn Rand...and I know some people are gonna argue like hell with me for it, but I also hated Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series. Couldn't finish the first book. It was so inaccurate, and the whole of forcing someone without setting up safewords, that sort of thing...did NOT go over well with me. That's the only time I ever burned a book. Still a smidge guilty over it. Just a smidge, though.

The other one I utterly hated was some book talking about celtic culture and the druids and I don't know WHERE they got their information, but it was like they pulled everything out of their hind end, didn't like it, shoved it back in, and pulled something else WORSE out, then wrote it down...I will not bother to look up the title or the author as I do not wish to recall the whole evil incident, nor do I wish to lead others astray in seeing just how bad it really was.
It was for a class...we sat around and looked at each other and said at teh same time "I know I read it, but...I can't remember a damn thing the author said." Seirously We were all like that.

Um...I'm done now.

Apropos
09-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I recently read "Wicked". Without a doubt the worst book I have ever read in a long long time. And that includes cheap trashy romance novels...(admission of guilty pleasure).

Katerinka Kotenoka
09-07-2004, 06:48 PM
I thought Wicked was okay, but the one the author wrote about Jack the Ripper & a lot of unrelated stuff was worse! The Ugly Stepsister was good...but the others were a little odd.

Maire of Drew
09-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I have to cast a second vote for The Old Man and The Sea....I freely admit that I am NOT a Hemmingway fan, but that book annoyed me so much that I threw it across the room when I finally finished it!

Second most hated: I'd have to say that would include anything by Tolstoy. I did my Sr Seminar on Tolstoy when I was in college, and think that reading Anna Karrenina and War and Peace in the same semester is practically a prescription for needing Paxil!

Jeannie Fitzgerald
09-08-2004, 07:57 PM
David Copperfield. Got tired of the "Oh woe is me Im in dire straights, oh youll help me out." If the little frecker would get a job instead of relying on others he wouldnt have been in dire straights.

Anything by Anne Mcaffery. way too wordy.

Watership down was great though.

I never read David Copperfield when I was in school back in another lifetime (or so it seems). I picked up a copy at a yard sale and decided to give it a read earlier this year. BORING and DEPRESSING! I couldn't wade through more than 1/3 of it. This coming from the woman who has read War and Peace, the Silmarillian, etc., three or four times and enjoyed them each time

I used to enjoy McCaffery's Pern series but the last two or three books have started to seem repititious. If she can't come up with some fresh ideas for the series, she needs to give it a rest.

On th same note, as much as I love Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series, it's beginning to wear thin. He needs to get on with it instead of milking it.

Love Watership Downs. Have read it several times.

Bean
09-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Well, there are some FABULOUS choices here for worst book!!! I tried to read "Thinner" by Stephen King, made it 2 chapters in. I also tried to read the LOTR that follows "The Hobbit" (Fellowship, I think) and got bogged down about 50 pages in. If I can't find any redeeming qualities in a book after the first 50-75 pages, it's gone! I also vote for Silas Marner, that sucked! I faked my way through if for class in HS.

I did read alot of the Harlequin crap, mostly because my cousin belonged to the book club and she would pass them onto the family by the bagful. They were mindless reading, and didn't make a huge THUNK when they hit the floor after you fell asleep reading them.....

Bonnie Strangeways
09-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Hmm, number One would have to be The Great Gatsby. I agree with an earlier statement that you are more inclined to dislike it if you are being forced to read it. The only book I found that was antypical of that statement was Great Expectations. I actually found myself sucked into that story.

Second choice would have to be Insomnia by Stephen King. The name is an opposite of what actually happens. It's better than War and Peace for putting Insomniacs to SLEEP!

Eric McTavish
09-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Worst book eh??? That would be The Seven Days of Sodom and other Writings By the Marquis De Sade.

Brooke
09-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Ok, I am new but had to jump in with my 2 cents here. I will admit that I pretty much disliked my entire English Literature Class in HS. How can one class have so many bad books in it? Worst? Has to be Moby Dick!

Brooke

theredheadgeek
09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree, not a fan of Wicked. You can't try to shove symbolism into a story and then parade in front of the reader with a flag that says "hey! There's symbollism here!!!"

Points go to the trashy compilation of romance stories I once found from the 1940s. The woman might have an affair, but to keep those housewife readers from getting any ideas, they made sure that the heroine ended up dead, alone, miserable, etc in the end. It was really kinda scary and maschosistic.

Someday maybe my little signature will grow...

Selene
09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Hands down "The Stranger" and I had to read it in English and in French. Talk about torture :shock:

Gabrielle.Riley
09-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I will admit that I pretty much disliked my entire English Literature Class in HS. How can one class have so many bad books in it?

Amen! I can barely remember any of the books for that class.. (probably because I wound up not reading them) The ones I actually did read.. well, I can't really remember those either. Only the horrible rendition of King Arthur tales that I had to read over the summer sticks out in my head. HS completely turned me off to supposedly good books. What do I read now? Medieval period based romance novels :roll:

Branwen
09-16-2004, 08:25 PM
The worst books that I have read a far & few in between. But I would have to say that I did not enjoy reading The Secret Garden. I felt insulted when reading it. I felt like I was being talked down to. I would like to believe that I'm a fairly intelligent woman & I don't need books to make me feel like an uneducated child. There was a few other books that I read that I have conviently forgotten the names of. One of which was about a College town in which the leading character is lusted after by a Semi Hockey Pro & ends up marrying the local cop who abuses her. I think that book was by Tabitha King. Poor plot & really boring. Another book that I read that was just plain UGH. Was a sci/fi horror about creatures attacking warm blooded creatures & giving them the felling of ultimate pleasure while slowly killing them. I think that one was by the auther of the Goosebumps books. I have to admit that I have finished all of the books that I thought were just nasty. :oops:

Nightfire
09-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Worst book far and away, was Les Miserables! Absolutly evil, and the man drones on and on and on about the dirt on the floor! Oh it was the most painfull experience in my mind...EVER! :rant:

biker
09-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Ok, I am new but had to jump in with my 2 cents here.

nothing wrong with having a opinion

biker
09-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Ok, I am new but had to jump in with my 2 cents here.

nothing wrong with having a opinion

kisses7727
10-03-2004, 03:47 PM
"The Eye of Argon".

That was AWFUL! :yuck: I understand that a writer likes to paint a picture with their words but I think this "artist" used way too much "paint"!!!

The worst book I have tried to read in recent times was Drowning Ruth. It was an Oprah book pick, I guess Oprah is smarter than I because I had no clue what was going on half the time in that book. It was just too hard to follow when you are trying to read in a noisey house infested with children.

Morte
10-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Do you mean "The Book of Ruth"? I read that recently and was veyr disturbed by it.

Phoenix McHeit
10-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Another book that I read that was just plain UGH. Was a sci/fi horror about creatures attacking warm blooded creatures & giving them the felling of ultimate pleasure while slowly killing them. I

That would be "Firefly" by Piers Anthony. Personally, I adore his writing, I have 47 of his novels. The Xanth series, Blue Adept series (all 7), Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Incarnations of Immortality series, Isle of Woman series (those are the BEST, I think) and the Tarot series... as well as many other single books or parts of series that I can find.

Worst book.. hmmm... as a voracious reader, I really don't have a 'worst' one in memory. I have books that I couldn't follow, weren't interested in, or were just boring, but I try & give em all a fair shake. I guess all the really bad ones have conveniently slipped thru the cracks in my brain.

pngwnmama
10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
New hardcover this Spring- Rule of Four. Awful! Hated the way it jumped around in its timeline! Grrrrrr!

Blue Pixie
10-04-2004, 12:18 AM
No my science text is the worst book- but then again the Lord of the Flies was not my favorite either- hated the ended where they tried to kill each other. :evil: It was disgusting. :x My rogue on the other hand thinks Nightfall was the worst only because it's so repetitive. :?

Blue Pixie
10-04-2004, 12:19 AM
ahh I don't know how to underline :oops:

Dedeley
10-04-2004, 12:27 AM
ANYTHING written by Thomas Pynchon. Even the Harlequin's can make you laugh sometimes.

ioevohe
10-05-2004, 04:36 AM
This was sent to me by a friend under the title "I must spread the pain".
:twisted: It is a review of a very stange fantasy "book". It beats anything I have ever read in therms of shear *wrongness"!
Lana (Io Evohe) of the Cool Arrows Clan
http://www.livejournal.com/users/crevette/113659.html

Ysobelle
10-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh, my G-d. I couldn't even get through the review!

I think my eyeballs are crumbling. I also think I've found one of the missing books Thursday Next's Gran has to read so she can pass on.

RichardMacHugely
10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Okay, this is no Night Travels of the Elven whatever, but the worst book I ever read, and by "read" I mean finished completely, was "Otherland" by Tad Williams.

It's not that the book was poorly written or lamely imagined, it wasn't. It was well written, the characters were believable, etc. But it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo long. Much much much longer than it needed to be.

"Otherland" is a single novel, but it is published in four volumes. Why? Because each volume is about 900 pages all on it's own. This book is MASSIVE. But the story could have been told in about 600 pages altogether I think. In good writing, every word on the page advances the story in some way, but in "Otherland", hundreds of pages flit by without anything happening, at least nothing that moves the characters closer to the resolution of the plot. Williams' flaw here is that the worlds he invented are rich enough for dozens of books, but he tried to get them all into one. I loved reading "Otherland", but when I got to the end I felt cheated, and I'll never read it again.

Ysobelle
10-05-2004, 10:49 PM
(Laughing)

The Otherland series is one of my favourites. Right up there with his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. I love that man.

Blue Pixie
10-07-2004, 02:52 AM
This was sent to me by a friend under the title "I must spread the pain".
It is a review of a very stange fantasy "book". It beats anything I have ever read in therms of shear *wrongness"!
Lana (Io Evohe) of the Cool Arrows Clan

Holy shit batman :shock: - what in god's green earth is this :shock: . I can't readi it-it so bad- yet i'm compelled to finsih it for the humor that is this bad writing- but then again i'll go blind.
Can someone drive- and walk me around the faire if I go blind? 8)

ioevohe
10-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Alas~ i too had the strange compulsion to read the entire thing (for hummor's sake) till my eyeballs were bleeding! :faint: we will all be a bunch of blind wenches at fair "reading" our men by braile. :wink:

Ysobelle
10-07-2004, 11:29 AM
You never know-- that might be a bigger attraction than Scottish Weekend.

Cupcake149
10-07-2004, 02:00 PM
So, if we read Clann an Drumma by braille????? I get Kyle.

:twisted:

Ysobelle
10-07-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna claim Jamsie before anyone else does.

Well, anyone else on this particular occasion, that is.

Blue Pixie
10-07-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't know- I need to met all the rogues to know which one I want- well I know who I want- I want my rogue joe

Phoenix McHeit
10-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Gee I think everybody knows who I'd claim... sheesh I'm so pathetic :sigh: