PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop Oedipus

Mistress Lisette
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
"Oedipus goes "gangsta" in hip-hop musical" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/arts_hiphop_dc;_ylt=ArxB2aDxbqKMFpcCDwlCMtNxFb8C;_ ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--)

By Claudia Parsons 2 hours, 42 minutes ago
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oedipus, the legendary Greek king who killed his father and married his mother, was "the original gangsta" and a "mack daddy" who looked like James Brown. At least that's how the story goes in a new hip-hop musical.

"The Seven" is an updated version of Aeschylus's tragedy "Seven Against Thebes," the story of the two sons of Oedipus who take up arms against each other after he curses them.

The program for the play includes a glossary explaining that "mack daddy" is slang for "a pimp; or a man who is popular with the ladies," and that Homer was the author of epic poems "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" before he became a cartoon character on "The Simpsons."

Will Power, the rapper and playwright responsible for "The Seven," said he was drawn to Greek tragedy by the mythology, which reminded him of the larger-than-life figures in the poor black San Francisco neighborhood where he grew up.

Heh heh. This just tickles me.

Is anybody even thinking about going to see this? Being a literature teacher who's quite fond of Greek tragedies, I'm curious as to how this adaptation is. But being down here in Texas, I doubt I'll get to see this unless I head on up to NY or the play comes down here. And being somebody who's not particularly fond of rap music to begin with, I'm just having a hard time picturing this thing at all. Ah well, if anybody goes to this, will ya post your thoughts, comments, reviews, whatever? Satisfy my curiousity...