PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just bought at Walgreens??

Bonnie
06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
The new Harry Potter book. The inside cover says 29.99.....

I paid 24.98

hrmmm...

I tried asking the gal behind hte counter if they were on display legally, since I was sure they weren't supposed to be on the shelves until the 21st, but she evidently didn't understand me. It got tiresome.

anyways....pbbbt!! :)

Daelyn
06-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Our Barnes & Noble's throwing a big party at midnight Friday to celebrate the book release... ^_^

Bonnie
06-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeah, but am I mistaken, or did I just buy a book the store had on display well before its scheduled release date?

Ysobelle
06-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but am I mistaken, or did I just buy a book the store had on display well before its scheduled release date?

Yes, you did! EVIL WOMAN! Have you finished it yet???

And oh my G-d, how are we going to handle talking about it here without being ruinously spoilerrific?

Bonnie
06-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Nikki, my love, I <JUST> bought it. I'm on page 31 right now.

as for discussions...start a new thread...header: HP5:SPOILERS!!!

After that, it's up to the posting parties to monitor themselves. If you see a post heading into uncharted territory, stop reading.

simple.

nyah nyah!!

Ysobelle
06-18-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm rereading them all now-- just about done Chamber of Secrets.

And I'm slowly wrestling The Blond into reading them. I WILL win, and I think he and I both know it. MUHAHAHHAHA!

Nevada
06-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Dang woman....you are so lucky..I hope the publisher doesnt find out because they have a whole chain in England they wont release the book to til the actual day because last book they put it out too early...sheesh..I am bouncing waiting for my copy

Kiji
06-18-2003, 08:44 PM
You got the book today!? You lucky woman you! *whimpers* Must resist urge to run to local walgreens and check....must remeber have book on order.

I'm not sure wether to beg youfor spoliers or beg you not to.

:)
Kiji

moira
06-18-2003, 09:08 PM
you could get them in serious trouble... a shop in brooklyn (i think) just got either a really big fine or someone got arrested for selling it early, not too sure at the moment... i think i'll go hit the walgreens near me

moira

Kiza
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
ARGH!!! Why can't the store by my house be selling the book now?!? *cries*

Oh, I hate to think of how illegal that is, but I'm going absolutely nuts waiting for this book. Just finished PoA the other day and started rereading GoF this morning. Between that and playing on a Hogwarts site (sounds geeky, but it's not that bad) I'm pretty well whipped into a frenzy.

Kiza

emalia
06-18-2003, 10:52 PM
YOU F*ckin SUCK!!!
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
I can't stand this!!!

Bonnie
06-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Yeah...I half feel like calling walgreens and telling them just how illegal it is to do what they're doing, but i guess it'd be hypocritical of me, seeing as how *I* took advantage of their criminal behavior and bought the book...but still.... It does rather suck of them, aye?

DreaBeth
06-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Being the rule follwer that I am... I have read that there is the potential for prosecution for both those selling and those buying the book in advance of the release date. Jo Rowling is suing one of the NY papers that ran a legable picture of two pages of the book, bought in the Brooklyn store Moira mentioned earlier. http://www.msnbc.com/news/927941.asp

As for me, I'm really hoping Amazon comes through and has my copy on the doorstep on Saturday as they promised.

Andrea
aka Geneva the Neutral

Isabelle Warwicke
06-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Tomorrow night, there is a Chicago suburb that is turning it's four block downtown into Diagon Alley. Renaming the shops and decorating and everything....very freakin' cool...I drug out my old high school graduation gown [it's black] and bought myself a nifty little red and yellow scarf and carrying a broom.....I'm sooo there....I haven't even read all the books yet. Tell you all about it early next week.

Bonnie
06-20-2003, 03:24 AM
Wow...that just sounds sooo freaking cool! Like it's play time and we're all kids again...what I wouldn't give to be there with you, eating chocolate frogs, tasting Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, and challenging all comers to a game of Wizard's Chess...using mundanes as chessmen...

emalia
06-20-2003, 08:00 AM
You know.. I am sick.. I am really really sick.. I truly contemplated getting in my car and driving 4 hours to Bonnie's house so that I could read the book when she wasn't.. I think I need help....

Nevada
06-20-2003, 09:52 AM
Must be patient..must not camp out at bookstore hours before books goes on sale...must definitely take nap this afternoon so I wont sleep through it! hahaha.l....

emalia
06-20-2003, 10:13 AM
I am taking another book with me. I am anticipating much line-age.

Bonnie
06-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Hell, since I worked last night, you could, theoretically, have been reading all night....wonder how far you could have gotten?

page 489, and still no one is dead, although there has been serious injury, and poor Harry! Who would have ever thought this would happen! I think that teacher needs to be squashed like a bug!

emalia
06-20-2003, 11:38 AM
(Swimming back to the computer)

I would probably be where you are about now.. But I would have passed out eventually.. =)

Ysobelle
06-20-2003, 12:18 PM
GAGH!! BONNIE! NO FAIR!!!!!!!

jmthane
06-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Tomorrow night, there is a Chicago suburb that is turning it's four block downtown into Diagon Alley. Renaming the shops and decorating and everything....very freakin' cool...I drug out my old high school graduation gown [it's black] and bought myself a nifty little red and yellow scarf and carrying a broom.....I'm sooo there....I haven't even read all the books yet. Tell you all about it early next week.

:pfft: :pfft: :pfft: :pfft:

I'm on the road...

I look forward to hearing how it went! (I've read them in US and English editions - I own them both ways. Looking forward to this one. And Bonnie - STOPPIT!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! :augh: )

Bonnie
06-20-2003, 05:36 PM
You know...those durn Weasleys!! Don't they just take the cake?!?!?!

You got to love them!!

page 698 .... still no deaths!! But wow....Hagrid's gone and stepped in it this time! :twisted:

cyd
06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Oh bonnie, that's mean... :tantrum:

Zip it, unless you start a spoilers thread!

:mmph:

Cyd

Bonnie
06-20-2003, 06:07 PM
hehe

But I'm not posting spoilers....

just reactions to the book. I guess I could have written "A certain Professor of the Care of Magical Creatures" has really stepped in it this time...."made it more obscure, not posting names and all, but really... what would be the fun of all that?

When I post spoilers, you'll know...

it will read "SPOILER ALERT!!

so, are you running out tonight and buying the book?

jmthane
06-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I wish. We're on the road to Elk River, MN for a Faire.

Tempest_Gypsy
06-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Bonnie!!! Bad pirate wench! No donut!!! :pokepoke:

I'm gonna cry if it doesn't show up tomorrow. That means it will be at the post office waiting for me and I'll have to wait until monday!!!! :tantrum:

Athalia Jewel
06-21-2003, 12:57 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight, she used to work at Barnes & Noble....when a store puts a book out on display and starts selling it before the scheduled release date, that store has to call all the other stores that have it, tell them that they started selling the book before the release date, and then all the other stores have to start selling it too.

Bonnie
06-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Ok...all finished....

Now I can sit back, wait for the rest of you to catch up and discuss this book...

I liked it. yes, someone DOES die....sniff.

Quite depressing, really.

emalia
06-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Ok.. I got home at 2 AM this morning and am taking a reading break to say I GOT IT!!!
thank you Bonnie... :D GC from BN was an awesome gifty!

justLori
06-23-2003, 03:13 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight, she used to work at Barnes & Noble....when a store puts a book out on display and starts selling it before the scheduled release date, that store has to call all the other stores that have it, tell them that they started selling the book before the release date, and then all the other stores have to start selling it too.

Actually, if they get caught, they are fined. And if it happens enough, the ENTIRE CHAIN can end up not even recieving the books from the publisher until well after the release date, or not allowed to carry them at all...

Evilness that was drilled in our brains at the bookstore where I worked some time ago. We never let a book out early, and we always checked up on our competitor, just in case we could blow the whistle on them...

just Lori