PDA

View Full Version : Motivation!

puck
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
so, i know i'm lovely. I know i'm fun and sexy. but i'm also, currently, fat. Not that 'my dress size isn't in the single digits so i'm fat', fat. but truely weighing too much for my health. I fell a few months ago and had to have knee surgery that has me not walking at present. i believe my metabolism has stopped completely. i start walking again next week, tho! (YAY!) and i'm going to be in physical therapy for the rest of the year, most likely. But i'm having a lot of trouble staying focused on a reasonable diet. i dont eat sweets much, but i do enjoy second helpings... and i procrastinate my exercises on days when i'm not going to the physical therapy...
so i'm here to seek motivation.. to keep myself focused. and i encourage anyone who is dieting or recovering from illness or starting or continuing an exercise program to come here as well. mayeb if we keep keep a freindly eye on each other we'll stay on track more often.
I'm just guessing tho. :) but i know i could use some words of support every now and then.

ZoeMcSheen
05-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I completely understand where you are coming from. I am currently recovering from an ankle surgery and I have not been able to get around much since Feb. I was overweight before I fell, and have gained another 15-20 pounds since I got hurt. One thing that you need to keep in your mind is that you WILL be better, and you WILL be able to get up and move around and lose weight, you just have to bide your time and do what you can to keep from putting any more on until you can... All though it's understandable if you still put a little bit of weight on. I watched very carefully, and I still gained 20 pounds. Good luck to you, and if you need any support, don't hesitate to contact me!

Lilaney
05-18-2006, 09:10 AM
First, Zoe, Happy B-day!
Puck, I completly understand and sympathize, i am currently in the
middle of the same lifestyle change issues.
It is the hardest thing for me ever!
I need the same type of motivation, to keep at it. For me, it is when
things start feeling like they are weighing me down and I want to run to
my comforts. Which currently is stuff that is all wrong for me.
I am not fat per se, but am not ready for the olympics either. I just have
gotten comfortable seeing as i dont have a Chief PRT person yelling at me
anymore. so some helpful motivation occasionaly to help me remain focused and determined on my goal would be a good thing.
So I will say good luck! And do you have a goal to reach? not like a weight or something, but more like, when I get to where i want to be I am going to go and...? For me, it will the boots of my dreams, that will not fit until I get a bit smaller than my current size.

Mistress Lisette
05-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Goals and then rewards have helped me. Like Lilaney said it might help you to "reward" yourself with something you've been wanting when you reach a goal. I don't do the scale thing so I honestly have no idea how much I weigh. Instead what I go by is what my body can do, how flexible and strong it is and how much endurance it has. Oh, and if you're going to go the goal/reward route, make sure your goal is achievable. Break off especially big goals into smaller, more achievable ones. For example, if your goal is to lose, say, 30 pounds, try breaking this up into 5 lbs initially and then maybe 10 lbs. That way you won't psyche yourself out as easily.

Good luck!! :-D

puck
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
OH!! A GOAL!!
excellent idea! a REWARD sounds even better!! *grin*
Happy Birthday Zoe! *hug*
I'll have to think about what is a good goal to set.. and what my reward will be.. i just wish i was able to make more money..then i could go on a trip or something... I'll go ponder this.
I've read that writing down what you eat can help you lose weight, but i'm worried i'll turn into a psycho control beast if i do... has anyone tried this?

CelticBombshell
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I've tried food journaling but i didn't help me b/c i would forget to put in the 2cookies i had or the popcicle or somthing but it has helped alot of others. chek out self magazine for some inspiration they have alot of good healty ways to eat right and lose weight as well as a program that is really easy to go by if you need structure.

mel

starparty
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
OH!! A GOAL!!
excellent idea! a REWARD sounds even better!! *grin*
Happy Birthday Zoe! *hug*
I'll have to think about what is a good goal to set.. and what my reward will be.. i just wish i was able to make more money..then i could go on a trip or something... I'll go ponder this.
I've read that writing down what you eat can help you lose weight, but i'm worried i'll turn into a psycho control beast if i do... has anyone tried this?

Dangling that carrot in front of myself has really helped too. I put on a skirt I made the other day and my first reaction was "It looks like a #$#^*@ CIRCUS TENT!" So if I can lose 30 lbs by the time I go to MIRF I'm going to treat myself to an Odd Bodkin Bodice ^^

As for writing things down, I've found that I'm not a control freak about it, but it does help me to realize all the little snacks I was eating that I'd forget about. The "Biggest Loser" program I'm part of here at work has a nice chart that you can use to write it all down with different columns for everything. Do you want me to scan it in and email it to you?

Another thing I've found is that drinking a lot of water has helped me. I'm not as hungry and it helps flush things through.

And OT - What part of Ohio are you from? :)

Lilaney
05-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes, journaling is a good thing, not nessecarily all that you eat..
which for some people is a good thing, but I can never remember..

Think on WHY you are eating..Are you hungry? Stressed? Bored?
Maybe instead of eating, grab the journal and write!
Trust me, if anyone ever read my 'pocket journal' it makes absouloutly no sense!
(Barnes and Noble have a bunch of pretty journals and the like to pick from)
I have been able to 'map' out my eating habits.
(This is not nessicarily <sp> a 'control' issue, but it allows you to see your own habits from the outside of the actions. As they say, Hindsight is 20/20)
And then learn from it, soon you will be able to 'tell' when your body is
fooling you.
No, you are not hungry, you are thirtsy..
No, you are not hungry you are bored, call a friend!
Yes! You are hungry! Eat something wise.
Another tidbit I have learned is, if you have 'snacking' issues (*Waves Hand*I do!) Eat every three to four hours. Not a huge meal, save that for lunch or breakfast.. but like, an apple, or a cup a yougurt.
It keeps your tummy comfortably sated and allows you satisfaction that you are 'beating' back your cravings.
Now, please eat sweets, but in moderation!
I try to buy the fun pack (fun pack!?That is no where near enough M&Ms to make me happy! sorry, rant) sizes of candies.. if you must have them sit down and eat them slowly..
Remember you are in the begining stages of becoming a better you! A healthy you! and vibrant butterfly from the cocoon of your former self!
(yeah, I know, corny, but it sounds pretty!)
Try not to take yourself too serious, or you will just depress yourself.
and fall off the wagon..

Find three things you are doing this for. It does not have to make sense to anyone else.
But sometimes Key words will trigger emotions in our minds which allow us that extra spurt to keep us going especially on those days where laying around sounds better than working out...
*Ahem* here are mine..
Keiko, Nator, and 42.
See!? Make no sense but they make me feel better!
Good Luck
and I swear the next post will be shorter!!

ZoeMcSheen
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. It was a great day.

Also, I have to agree with the journaling idea. Either use it as a diversion or I used one to keep track of EVERYTHING I put into my mouth (food wise).

I wrote down everything from a single pretzel stick to a piece of gum to everything I ate at dinner including things like butter and spices.

Then I would never count the calories. I would read over what I ate over the past few days every few days, but I would never count. This taught me portion control, and through that I lost a few pounds. Because of the few lost pounds, I got more energy, and wanted to walk more, which made the rest of the pound drop right off.

Then I had to go and get hurt, and now, I'll have to go through the whole thing again, this time though, my hubby has decided that he needs to lose a few as well, so we are just going to start making healthier dinners and riding our bikes a few miles every day!

Bean
05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I have actually had fresh fruit, salad, and corn on the cob this week! I am such a boxed, processed, prepackaged food girl. Now all I have to do is continue next week with the same thing. I will tackle one thing at a time, first it's fresh foods added into the diet. Next it will be portion control and/or emotional eating. I have been good for the past couple of days, but like everyone else, motivation is the key factor........

puck
05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
EXCELLENT going, cusefan!!!
good solid, plan, too!. tackle each one at a time!
I've made myself a journal. i start it tomorrow!. maybe if anyone has any interesting entries into their's they can add it to our thread. keep us all on track.

willow of the wooded fortress
05-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I have actually had fresh fruit, salad, and corn on the cob this week! I am such a boxed, processed, prepackaged food girl. Now all I have to do is continue next week with the same thing. I will tackle one thing at a time, first it's fresh foods added into the diet. Next it will be portion control and/or emotional eating. I have been good for the past couple of days, but like everyone else, motivation is the key factor........

That's a great plan of action! They say you should eat a rainbow, fruits and veggies from red, orange, green....I found a great site that has a chart of this and all the nutritional info, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

I have been seeing a holistic food counsler for the past 3 months and have learned so much. I have never been one to consume too much processed food , I love fruits and veggies and excercise is my job, BUT, I eat a lot of red meat, bread, cheese, wine, and I smoke, yes a yoga teacher that smokes:shame: . That is something I want to cut out of my life. It's hard because my husband is a very heavy smoker and when I have stopped, he still smokes in the house. Anyone have this issue?

puck
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Yoga question! how easy is it to find modified yoga poses? as i explained in the first post, i've got the knee problem... and i've always loved the idea of yoga, but never got started. partly because yoga is kind of new to the area. now i'm afraid i won't be able to do some of the poses because they are henseforth forbidden to me.. is there a modified for bad knees yoga? :-D and pilates, too, if anyone knows?

05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Yoga question! how easy is it to find modified yoga poses? as i explained in the first post, i've got the knee problem... and i've always loved the idea of yoga, but never got started. partly because yoga is kind of new to the area. now i'm afraid i won't be able to do some of the poses because they are henseforth forbidden to me.. is there a modified for bad knees yoga? :-D and pilates, too, if anyone knows?

If I had you in my class I would suggest working 1st with breathing excercises and meditaion. Breathing technique and meditation is a HUGE part of yoga and would be very helpful during a time of change in your life. You could pm me if you would like, I could take you through some wonderful breathing techniques via phone if you want. I will check our books at work and see if I can post a few that would be helpful. Yoga today in the states is often done as an excercise form and teachers really range in style, education, and all, so it's good to be careful where you go. Yoga really is a way to gain tools to deal with living, it's very spiritual and does have fitness benefits of course.

puck
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
book recommendations are great! any diet or exercise or meditation books out there that we've found helpful??

05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
book recommendations are great! any diet or exercise or meditation books out there that we've found helpful??

Good Day Ladies! How are we all? I have a book I thought you may like to get, it's called Eastern Body Western Mind By Anodea Judith, it's about psychology and the Chakra System as a path to the self. It's fabulous. It was a major part of my training as a yoga teacher. Now that I mention it, I could use a reread of it myself as things have been crazy lately. I post more books after work today.

Emrld
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I have been working with my own weight loss issues myself for a while now. And have been having small success here and there.

There is a new school of thought that I have recently heard about which if you think about it - adding this idea isn't going to hurt you - nor will it cost you. It is called before during and after. What it refers to is an 8 oz glass of water - drink one glass before every meal, one during, and one after. If you are able to do this for all 3 meals that would make it 9 8oz glasses in one day. So you get your daily water intake taken care of and it does help to fill your stomach so that you are less likely to over eat.

Remember a reward doesn't have to actually cost you any money. It can also be doing something for yourself - taking time to paint your nails and let them dry while watching your favorite movie on tv /dvd. Taking a buble bath with candles and soft music - just basic self pampering. Help re-inforce that you are special, wonderful and deserve to be treated well.

Also - check out www.flylady.net (http://www.flylady.net) she and one of her friends have put out a book about taking care of yourself and self discovery to understand some eating habits so that you can change what you are doing. They also have a free Body Control Journal Page - a way for you to evaluate what you are doing as far as eating, exercise, and sleep to see if you can find the best ways to make your body work for you.

Good luck on your journey and remember we are here if you need a little encouragment or even a reminder that you do deserve to be treated with respect and love by yourself.