PDA

View Full Version : New wench from MN

Leyla
05-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been posting around here a little bit, thinking I'll make my introductions after getting dressed up and taking my pic for an avatar. Well time is passing fast, and I'm just not getting around to it, and feet are so much quicker to dress up and easier to photograph no?

I've loved everything I've seen about IWG, I wish there was a local for me to join here :cry: Or I wish that I had enough time to get one started, but with nursing school and working I'm swamped. If anyone else was planning on starting one in MN let me know, I'm all for it!

I'm soooo jealous of everyone getting to participate in fairs right now. I have to wait until August for ours to start up again. I've been reading tons of the Garb Goodies forums and getting lots of ideas and inspiration for new costumes this year.

So, not really sure what else to say at this point. Feel free to ask questions if you want more info :smile:

It's very nice to meet you all :hi:

Margaret
05-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi Leyla and welcome!

SwtLvbleBrian
05-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Good morning and welcome Leyla. Hope you have a lot of fun and make new friends here!!!!:hi: :hi: :hi:

Lilaney
05-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Hello!
Glad you are a having a good time here!

KissMeKate
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Welcome aboard!

Fortunately or unfortunately, the nearest Local to you is probably ours at Bristol. We'd love for you to join us if you're ever in the area!

I visited MNRF a couple of years ago and was amazed for as few Lundegaard members as there are for such a huge Faire site. I was told a few of the Wenches approached the management there a number of years ago about a Local and were turned down. But I do encourage you to meet your fellow Wenches, decide if you are organized enough to form a Local and try, try again! And if not, at least you'll meet some great wenches to wander about with!

Leyla
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Welcome aboard!

Fortunately or unfortunately, the nearest Local to you is probably ours at Bristol. We'd love for you to join us if you're ever in the area!

I didn't think there was anything even in the surrounding states. Local #34 isn't listed on the Chapter/Local search page! I've wanted to visit the Bristol fair for a while now. Perhaps this would give me greater reason to head that way.
:-D

Luciana
05-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Welcome! Is nice to have you here.;-)

KissMeKate
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I didn't think there was anything even in the surrounding states. Local #34 isn't listed on the Chapter/Local search page! I've wanted to visit the Bristol fair for a while now. Perhaps this would give me greater reason to head that way.
:-D

I've been trying to get that fixed. ::tinfoil: There are actually a number of locals that aren't on the chapter search page. But if you look at the locals listed on the forums, you can read more posts from and about Bristol. We have a LOT of great activities being planned for the upcoming season, and we'd love to meet you! We have about 50 wenches that call Local 34.5 theirs (if you can't have 69, at least settle for half!), and about 20-30 wenches that actively participate in Bristol activities. You can always send me a PM if you can visit us, and we can chat about details!

Bronya
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Leyla-Where in MN are you? I lived in Good Thunder (in the southern part)for a while then moved to Mankato...a total of 8 mos. then back here to sunny CA. This IS fun place to hang out.

Mistress Lisette
05-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi, Leyla! :hi: Btw, I think your av's pretty cool! :-D

Leyla
05-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi Leyla-Where in MN are you? I lived in Good Thunder (in the southern part)for a while then moved to Mankato...a total of 8 mos. then back here to sunny CA. This IS fun place to hang out.

My husband and I both grew up about 30min north of Minneapolis. We bought our first home here last November! Close enough to the cities to get down there for fun events (art fairs, concerts, belly-dance classes :smile:) , but not close enough to deal with big-city life on a daily basis. I'm not too familiar with Mankato, I know its south (waaay south) from here, and there's a college there, but haven't had reason to head out that far lol. Envy you in CA with the sun and ocean and lack of 2' snowy -30F winters.

eeyore
05-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi Leyla! Yay! Another wench in MN!!! There are only a few of us. The rogue and I are just southwest of the cities. Only about 15 min from the faire.
Ever go to any of the haflas? I bellydance, too. http://home.mchsi.com/~eeyore7474/bellyemoticon.gif

LadyAtlas
05-19-2006, 05:07 PM
:rescue: Welcome Aboard :hi: :hi:

Leyla
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Leyla! Yay! Another wench in MN!!! There are only a few of us. The rogue and I are just southwest of the cities. Only about 15 min from the faire.
Ever go to any of the haflas? I bellydance, too. http://home.mchsi.com/~eeyore7474/bellyemoticon.gif

You mean there are other Minnesotans around these forums??? I haven't been to festival for the past two years, quasi (uncostumed *whimper* three years ago) and attended every single weekend for two years straight prior to that (in full garb). Those two years I attended I was with another rogue (evil, self-centered, wretched....gggrrrrrr) who had introduced me to the festival and I'm afraid I needed a couple years for the taint of association to wear off. I am all geared up to go this year, and introduce my girlfriends to the festival since they've never gone in garb. However, I know KNOW I'll want to be out there far more frequently than they will. Sigh, so here's the thing, the only people I really know out there are in association with the jerk, and he was kinda a loner so I didn't meet a lot of people then either. I need some wenches to hang out with. Do you think maybe we could meet during fair some time and you could help introduce me to the other wenches?

What is a hafla? The rogue and I are going to Beirut Restaurant tomorrow, my b-dance instructor gave us a flyer that says "Guild of Oriental Dance Beirut OPEN STAGE!!!!" So I'm guessing there will be people there performing, at least that's my hope lol, I want to watch, not perform.

My girlfriends and I just began level one belly dance with the Cassandra School about 6-8 weeks ago or so. We are having SOOOOO much fun, I will definetly be sticking with it.

eeyore
05-19-2006, 09:17 PM
A hafla is like a party. You get together, some dance, there is usually some food. Sometimes henna and costume swapping. And open dance towards the end. They are pretty fun. I'll check when and where the next one is.

I've taken classes at Cassandra's. Right now I've got a great teacher out this way. I've been taking classes for just over three years now. It really is a lot of fun.

I only know one other wench by sight. (Hi Mairi!) So maybe we can set up a little meet and greet for rogues and wenches here. But I will definitely meet up with you. :)

The show at Beirut's should be pretty good. You don't have to perform, but you could if you wanted to. I've found a shot of tequila loosens up the nerves. ::glugglu: ::pinkele: Just kidding! Anyway, I wish we could go, but we've got someone's grad party tomorrow night. Ah well. Have a great time!

Nimue
05-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Welcome, fellow midwestern wench!

willow of the wooded fortress
05-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi and welcome! I didn't realize I hadn't said hello to ya yet. I just found this forum several months back and I love it! I have been wanting for a long time to get more involved in faire and have so far found this a wonderful place to start. I have met several wonderful ladies from here recently at a faire and had a much needed sewing lesson from wench lady kate. It's so important to have a place to connect with others who are passionate/crazy about faire, because I know my family doesn't totally get it, so I don't feel to wacky here.

Shasta
05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
You may be interested in this one if you are near the WI border...

http://www.wirenfaire.com/

Shasta

Lawencha
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
You may be interested in this one if you are near the WI border...

http://www.wirenfaire.com/

ShastaHi Shasta! I see you are a WiscWench, too! I am pleased to see that our WI/MN quotient is rising. Hi Leyla! I am originally from MN! Grew up in Woodbury (when it was a rural township - not the strip mall whore it has become) and moved to Brainerd as a teen! I've lived in many places in MN and did my undergrad at St. Cloud State. Are you up near Elk River?

Leyla
06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Shasta! I see you are a WiscWench, too! I am pleased to see that our WI/MN quotient is rising. Hi Leyla! I am originally from MN! Grew up in Woodbury (when it was a rural township - not the strip mall whore it has become) and moved to Brainerd as a teen! I've lived in many places in MN and did my undergrad at St. Cloud State. Are you up near Elk River?

Oops, missed this post when it first came out. Didn't mean to ignore the question. Elk River is just a hop, skip and a jump away.

renren
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey Leyla! I am also from MN. and new to the wenches! Welcome!
I live about 200 miles north.Serena, a close friend who lives about 45 mins. from me is also a wench on the forum.Have you been to the olde worlde faire in Twig? Went for the first time this year, Been going to minn. renfaire for about 7 years. We are hoping to get to bristol also, probly next year!:-D

townspaniard
06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Nice to have you around.

Leyla
06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey Leyla! I am also from MN. and new to the wenches! Welcome!
I live about 200 miles north.Serena, a close friend who lives about 45 mins. from me is also a wench on the forum.Have you been to the olde worlde faire in Twig? Went for the first time this year, Been going to minn. renfaire for about 7 years. We are hoping to get to bristol also, probly next year!:-D

You'll have to let me know if you guys are going to MNRF this year. I finally have a job that should make getting weekends off a bit more flexible. If you go let me know, maybe we can meet for a bit. Actually, come to think of it when MNRF starts I'll probably start a new thread to meet fellow wenches out there.

renren
06-30-2006, 06:18 PM
we'll probly be going one of the last weekends,possibly more than one,to mn. ren faire. Might bring the kids down one time, then come with friends the other.
will let you know!:-D