PDA

View Full Version : What are your opinions on NJ Ren faire and Kindgdom

willow of the wooded fortress
05-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I noticed that on the calendar of events that the NJ Ren fest and Kingdom was not listed for June. What is the feeling out there about this fest? As it is coming soon and I was considering going.

WenchLadyKate
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
NJ Ren Kingdom, IMHO is fun for a day. I wouldn't really make a weekend out of it, unless you're going with a group. They've changed it this year so I can't make a really accurate account, but it's generally been, a decent (if not small) sized faire with some good shopping and very good shows.

Apparently this year it's all about the Pirates. Something about the Pirates of Tortuga or something, whatever. In my opinion, they're hopping on the pirate bandwagon which will eventually die out. I'm all for adding a pirate flair to a faire, even changing the story to reflect it, keeps the show fresh, but a whole pirate faire? I'm not entirely sure. However, I could be wrong and it could totally rock. I'll be spending at least one day there over the season.

And NJ Ren Fest, I'm not sure if that's the same as NJ Ren Faire which was held in Wildwood last summer. I'm not sure if that's even happening again this year. Although, I really really really enjoyed a ren faire on the beach. I have photos of me in garb in the ocean. Great photos, and i was barefoot the whole time!

Sterling
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
And NJ Ren Fest, I'm not sure if that's the same as NJ Ren Faire which was held in Wildwood last summer. I'm not sure if that's even happening again this year. ...

Sorry Kate, I asked Lars about a repeat of the Wildwood faire, he said no, apparently there were some big financial issues. I'll miss that one for sure!
WATCH THE WENCH CAR PLEASE!!!!

Ysobelle
05-25-2006, 02:14 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the Renaissance Beach Faire is dead, dead, dead. Alas. It was indeed fun to have bare feet on cool sand.

And a Wench Car!

05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Was the NJ REn Faire/kingdom/pirate faire held in somerset nj at some point years ago, was it run by the same people? I was wondering if it was becuase I heard there was some strife going on. It was a very, very small faire and was only there a few years if that.

Drea Beth
05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
NJ Renaissance Kingdom was located in Somerset for about 12 years before moving to the current location in East (I think) Orange. The faire is small and focuses more on shows and story than on vendors. The area of the faire is small, but it works. Also note, because it is held on county land the faire is dry.

That said, this year's Pirate theme should be a blast. I've heard that the shows are a lot of fun and (imho) it should be a nice break from the Arthurian story line. Everyone I know who is involved is really excited and looking forward to a great year. (I agree that they're probably trying to capitalize on the popularity of pirates, especially with POTC2 coming out on July 7, but hey, why not?)

NJRK is my home faire, so I am a little biased. I've attended/volunteered for the past few years and for me, it's truly what faire is about. I feel like I'm home...

Gabrielle.Riley
06-01-2006, 11:39 AM
is anyone going opening weekend? I'm toying with the idea of going one day this weekend..

06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I may go on sunday, but not sure yet. If not I'm going the next saturday. I hope to meet some folks there one of the days!

WenchLadyKate
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Forgot that it was already upon us! I'll actually be at the Busch race in Dover this weekend so I probably won't get to go. And next weekend is the open house at Moresca and the weekend after that I'll be away, and then... Wow, I think I might miss the whole thing this year! I usually go at least once, and I'm curious about this Pirates thing... Poo...

Gabrielle.Riley
06-02-2006, 12:52 AM
oh psh there's nothing good at the summer Moresca open house! and there's 2 days in each weekend :P