PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE 7/3: Very Sad News for MD/VA/NC folks about BAGEL

Vyxen
07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
A few minutes ago I received a telephone call to convey the following information. My e-mail, alas, has confirmed the news. I will post details as they are available.

~ Vyxen/Lynda

Info copied from dc-otters (Joe Ogulin) and forwarded from St.George Productions mailing list:"Reply-To: St. George Productions, LLC stgeo[email protected] To: [email protected]

I am afraid I have some very sad news to impart to all of you. Cornelia Rutherford (head of VARF) just called me and told me some tragic news. David Baker, aka, "Bagel", was killed in an apparent hit and run accident last night. He wasr eturning home on his scooter and the police found him on the side of theroad. He was pronounced dead at the hospital. They are investigating the cause. Neither drugs nor alcohol were involved in the accident.

For those of you who do not know him, he was a great talent--juggling, contortion, creativity. He had his battles with controlled substances, but had conquered them for the last few years. He is survived by his son, Loki,from his former wife, and his fiance. I will let you know about any memorial service that is to be planned locally and any other news."

Pics at: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/a_vyxen_wench/photo/294928802992609632/0
and http://new.photos.yahoo.com/a_vyxen_wench/photo/294928802992614252/0

lady Amalthea
07-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I only met him this year at VARF and thought he was a great guy. This is indeed sad news. He will be missed.

KnightlyJay
07-02-2006, 04:47 PM
He was such a heart filled performer, someone who took the stage and made it his own. He will be sorely missed.

Vyxen
07-03-2006, 03:18 AM
"Kind friends and companions,

I have spoken with so many today that I hardly know what to post to everyone. our collective sorrow is deep and is buffeted only by the shock of this tragedy. This I know for sure.

At the request of bagels family ther will a memeorial service tentativly and Kindly sceduled for The weekend of july 15th at the Lake anna winery. the winery has Kindly asked that we hold the event there. Bagel's family is in shock as are his closest friends. a memorial fund is in the process of being set up however most of his family lives in florida so things are going to take a few days to set up. this effort is being put together by Cornie and I and bagel's family. The kindness of each of you have been supportative and much welcome as we absorb this blow. I spoke at length to Pictsy and Shanna and offered our collective feelings of love. we ask all of you to continue to know his spirit in all you do.

Davids family will keep all of us posted as to when where and how and I will pass this information on as quickly as i Know. An autopsy is being performed to help sort out what happened but we may never know for sure! Davids zest for life and Innaite Chrisma will inspire many for years to come. please forward the information of his passing down the line to all who knew him.

as of now I believe that the folks on the Maryland renn fest circuit have been contacted but please if this has not happpened by all means. Ncrf has sent out a post on their entertainers group. OOTW has posted info on their front page.

I remember that on particulary rainy day I looked out from the cottage stage to see bagel standing atop a building accross the green when he saw me he started heckling me from accross the fair site. as the improve built we garnered more and more audience until finally we had a grand show going.That show became lesJongleurs prestations du magic a flambue. History was made. bagel inspired so many young performers to be creative and have fun when they performed. I constantly had to be on my toes when we were onstage together. (kodak moment Freaks in pain. dont do this, we may be professional: or just three guys with cool props)It is because of His inspiration that I have grown over the years. when on the road with him he became my brother. From the Lesjongleur pajama party in the woods under the flashing beacon to the great trivia games around the globe! we had fun but most of we shared a bond that will be with me forever.

for those of you that dont know the story. It was a rain drenched night on a mountain top in West By God Virginia That Cornie, Bagel and I, sat down as said Yes we could do this Look we just pulled a show Out of the woodwork we can do it agian and again. And so it came to pass. OOTW took on Varf and its biggest believer None other Than Lord bagel. granted the title by Elizabeth, The first to bare that name when he was granted the three yards in any direction from which he stood at the moment as his personal land holdings as defined by the stretch of his grey cape."

LJ: Mark_Gerard

townspaniard
07-03-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm so shaken by this... I had not cried at a death since my father's until this one. I was very numb to death. Bagel was a wonderful person, and the best tribute I can think of is making our faire a better one.

I will miss you so much Bagel.
Love and well wishes to his family.

Dani
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Thank you for posting this, Vyxen. I've been in shock over this since early yesterday morning - he was one of my dearest friends, and I don't know how to handle the loss yet. I'm going to miss him - I already am.

Vyxen
07-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Jul. 3rd, 2006 02:35 pm Update on the service for Bagel

This was written by Cornelia Rutheford. Bagel's close friend, and the founder of the Virginia Renaissance Faire (http://www.varf.org (http://www.varf.org/)). The faire is located at the Lake Anna Winery (http://www.lawinery.com/ (http://www.lawinery.com/)). This is the winery that Cornelia refers to.

I've been in contact with David's former wife Shauna and sister Lisa. We will be coordinating the memorial for Bagel. I've spoken with the Heidigs and will hold the service at the winery on either July 15 or 16 and will let you know the date/time details in the next 48 hours. The family would like this to be a celebration of Bagel's life and not turn into something maudlin, which we all know he would hate. His mother will be here and she is understandably fragile at this time. It's important that we show her how much we appreciated her son without adding to her grief. I invite you all to come up with your best "Bagel Story" to share with others at the memorial. After the formal part, it would be nice to mingle with his family and friends to recall the good times.

Everyone I've talked to today - family and friends - have expressed the desire for a living memorial to Bagels life, talent and love of the stage. Based on his activities and conversations on his last day among us, the following was thought to be the perfect tribute by all close to the situation:

OOTW will build the Cottage Stage - the gorgeous centerpiece he had envisioned. We will dedicate it not so much to his memory but to his life as a performer, friend, father, son and brother. A fund is being set up for this purpose. May everyone who graces that stage be gifted with that passionate spirit.

The family has asked that everyone look for their best, child-friendly photographs of David and email them to [email protected] . They will be printed and assembled into a memory album for his son, Loki. I'm sure we have many pictures taken over the years and this could become quite overwhelming so choose one or two that are particularly special to you and include a little story about them in your post. This will be something Loki will cherish for the rest of his life.

Thank you all for your patience as we sort out the particulars. - Cornelia