PDA

View Full Version : Latest pattern from McCalls

vanessa
07-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Ok, I'll admit, I like some of the more recent commercial patterns for some very basic Wench-Wear. I usually pick the ones that don't have darts, and I modify them to include steel boning instead of the poly boning. I LOVE the costume sections in the pattern books....

Based on three patterns I found from McCalls (who is quite known for their 'many different styles in one pattern'), I'd say that the Rennie patterns have definitely made a LARGE mark in their inventory!

Look at patterns
4090 (Rennie Skirts)
4091 (Chemise)
4107 (Bodice!!!)

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/mccallspatterns/shop.cgi?search=&TI=40020&UK=30621005&M=&pageSize=9&s.nextPage.10.x=41&s.nextPage.10.y=9

Once I try some of these, I'll post the results.... can't wait to try the skirt pattern (4090) that looks like my Moresca skirt!

:bananada:

Bonnie
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
oh wow...

VERY cool.

I'm going to have to try some, myself. And to think I JUST told someone I wasn't going to be doing much garb sewing this off season. NOw I have to have told a lie.

damn.

Glad I hung on to the blue silk....

AnnaFaerie
07-16-2003, 10:23 AM
I bought the skirt pattern 2 weeks ago...haven't made it yet, but I think the pattern looks great!

Thanks for the site......nice.

Bonnie
07-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Just bought the pattern today...the skirt and the chemise...AND, I got them for .99 each!!!

JoAnnes was having a sale.

Don't hate me 'cause I got lucky. :) whoo hoo! I think i'm going to make the skirt out of this fabulous silk look polyester...very lightweight, shimmery, and soft. Feels nice...not quite like silk, but PRETTY, and vibrant colors. and it's half the price of silk.

LEt you know how it turns out, once I start working on it. But it looks VERY promising.

Not sure, perhaps some others with more sewing experience can say, but shouldn't the leine have slightly more full sleeves? and if so, it shouldn't be too hard to just increase the amount of fabric being used, should it?

Mandy ReNee
07-18-2003, 11:05 PM
:spool: I have liked some of the McCalls patterns but i have actually been doing quite a bit of garb sewing this summer and i have been using simplicity's patterns. They came out with a book on just renaissance period costumes this year. :lol: I bought five new patterns yesterday at Hancock Fabrics and they were having a sale on all simplicity patterns for $1.99. Any thoughts on pros and cons of simplicity versus mccalls for patterns for garb would be appreciated since I am pretty new to all this stuff. :sew:

Mandy ReNee
also wishin my stuff will get here soon.... :rotfl:

AnnaFaerie
07-19-2003, 07:55 AM
I sew a lot (I am a costumer) and I tell my customers to use Simplicity patterns more than McCalls for the Renaissance clothes. For the most part the McCalls are more modern looking (check out the bodice pattern being discuss here)...princess seams, etc.. The Simplicity patterns are more accurate for the time period. Ok.....ok I know they aren't made they way they were then, but the Simplicity patterns just make a better show of being accurate. With all that said.....the McCalls patterns are looking up.

I have bought the book you are talking about for the last 3 years. Isn't it great to have around?