PDA

View Full Version : For all that drool over Gerard Butler....

Dmitri
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=453&item=0

Katheryn
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Well.. At least we get to see him with his clothes off.

Lady Sarah
10-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Μολών Λαβέ (pronounced /molon labe/)
It took me 2/3 of the preview to realize just what the trailer was about.

For those that do not know or think it's a fictional movie, rest assured, it's not. It's a fictional work surrounding the 480 BC Battle of Thermopolaye (sp).

In 480 B.C. the forces of the Persian Empire under King Xerxes, numbering according to Herodotus two million men, bridged the Hellespont and marched in their myriads to invade and enslave Greece.

"In a desperate delaying action, a picked force of three hundred Spartans was dispatched to the pass of Thermopylae, where the confines between mountains and sea were so narrow that the Persian multitudes and their cavalry would be at least partially neutralized. Here, it was hoped, an elite force willing to sacrifice their lives could keep back, at least for a few days, the invading millions.

"Three hundred Spartans and their allies held off the invaders for seven days, until, their weapons smashed and broken from the slaughter, they fought 'with bare hands and teeth' (as recorded by Herodotus) before being at last overwhelmed.

"The Spartans and their Thespian allies died to the last man, but the standard of valor they set by their sacrifice inspired the Greeks to rally and, in that fall and spring, defeat the Persians at Salamis and Plataea and preserve the beginnings of Western democracy and freedom from perishing in the cradle.

"Two memorials remain today at Thermopylae. Upon the modern one, called the Leonidas Monument in honor of the Spartan king who fell there, is engraved his response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas' reply was two words, Molon labe: " 'Come and get them.' "

willow of the wooded fortress
10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Looks good. I am a sucker for anything with a good battle scene or two, I just love a good battle scene! I just hope it's not a disapointment like TROY was.

Mavis_Siobhan
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
I got chills watching this. I, too, hope it lives up to the hype they seem to be building.

Did anyone catch when it's planned to be released?

Katheryn
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Seriously?

This trailer is very.. I don't know. It just has an "Alexander" feel to it, if you get my drift. I think it has the potential to be downright horrible. Looks as if most of the good bits are supplanted into the teaser.

Lady Sarah
10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I got chills watching this. I, too, hope it lives up to the hype they seem to be building.

Did anyone catch when it's planned to be released?

Knowing what it's about, I went back and watched it from the beginning...

Technically, I'm not sure. They've got a lot of special effects going on with the editing and the coloring. I think they were aiming to give a dream-like, ethereal feel to it.

Done right, it could be a fantastic movie. But I think they're taking the same approach as was taken with Alexander.

Neither can live up to the sheer blockbuster status that Gladiator had, IMO.

Mavis_Siobhan
10-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Knowing what it's about, I went back and watched it from the beginning...

Technically, I'm not sure. They've got a lot of special effects going on with the editing and the coloring. I think they were aiming to give a dream-like, ethereal feel to it.

Done right, it could be a fantastic movie. But I think they're taking the same approach as was taken with Alexander.

Neither can live up to the sheer blockbuster status that Gladiator had, IMO.

Oh, I agree. I liked the "theater" feel of some of the shots (hilight on the actors, background mostly dark, like there's some sort of seperation between the two).

I loved Gladiator, Braveheart and Kingdom of Heaven. I was having an anti-Colin moment when Alexander came out so I've never seen that. Actually, I'm still having an anti-Colin moment, shows no sign of ending. Long moment, that.

The only movie I can think of that surpassed those three is the obvious Lord of the Ring movies.

But still, I can hope for something that lives up to the desire.

Right?

Dmitri
10-05-2006, 11:30 PM
The whole thing is based on Frank Miller's Graphic Novel interpretation of the Battle of Thermapolae. the "feel" of the movie will be very "graphic" just like Sin City... The story of which sucked but the look of teh movie was phenomenal!!!

And if its true to the novel more than half of the movie will be battle...

Mistress Lisette
10-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I hope it's as good as it promises--it looks phenomenal so far! But, then again, I like movies like this: very dramatic in its cinematography, sharp coloring, and a living graphic novel feel. (I like graphic novels.)

Roberto Phoenix
10-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I do believe he was in the Bewolf and Grendal movie which just came out on DVD. Very good movie with a actual story and moral.