PDA

View Full Version : Any one here have a Hysterectomy?

GraceHardGrave
11-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Went back to the GYN Monday because I was awakened out of a sound sleep by left side pain.

Keep in mind, that the left side, is where i had a VERY LARGE cyst removed in May. (They actually had to take part of my ovary as well.) I was sent in for more ultrasounds (which suck donkey balls... I feel bad for every woman who's ever had sex with Ron Jeremy.)

I've had problems with my plumbing ever since puberty, and have tried EVERY medication and homeopathic and herbal remedy out there.

It runs in my family. My mother has so many problems she spends 4 days on the couch around that time of the month.

My doctor is suggesting Lupron Depot. (Which tells your body to STOP everything.) She says that this will be our trial run, to see if I need a Hysterectomy. (She is the third GYN to suggest this.) I'm only 25.

So, thoughts? Questions I should be asking my doctor, but have forgotten?

She's suggesting only taking the Left Ovary, and the Uterus, but leaving the Rt ovary, (which could just as easily start having giant cysts as well.)

My Husband has had a vasectomy, and we weren't having kids, so that isn't a consideration, but I am kinda upset that it'll be one more body part to lose.

Of course my doc is also worried about Uterine cancer, so in her mind, this is a one stone/ two bird scenario.

I'm just worried about the Bone Loss issue from the Lupron (Due to steroid shots to offset my arthritis my bone density is in question.) and having another surgery. (I react badly to the meds that they use to put me under.)

DoņaNina
11-27-2006, 12:15 PM
My mom just recently had a hyst (I think, it was just the ovaries). I thought they were just gonna remove the mass she had in one ovary, but when they saw how beat-up they were they decided to take em both out. We've got PCOS in our family, so she had the cysts all up ins her junk. I have it too. Mom told me though, she'd rather have had the surgury than the complications of cancer. So if you're not even planning on kids, I say think og your own health first. I know it sucks, I may have to go through the same thing someday.

Buxom Wench
11-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I had my hystorectomy when I was 30.
I had horrible pains every month that pretty much had be bedridden for the first 36-48 hours of my period.

When my youngest daughter was 7 or 8, Himself and I thought about having a child together. He had 2 boys, I had 2 girls but we had no biological kids together. When I went to the doctor, he said he could reverse my tubal but, being that I had severe endomitriosis, I probably wouldn't carry past the 3rd or 4th month.

My response:
If I can't use it and its causing me such horrible pain, TAKE IT OUT!!!
I've never regretted it and I was much happier each month.
Granted, I already had children.

If you have any personal questions, feel free to PM me.

rosefaeries
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I had my hysterectomy about 2 summers ago. It was one of the better things I have done for myself. I had utrine fibroid tumors that would grow with whatever treatments they tried. (the medications were like fertilizer to the darn things) When I couldn't lean forward in a chair without almost passing out from the pain is when I said take it out. Though all the input I got from women here helped quite a bit to make the decision also.

La Femme Meow
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes, thank God! Got rid of 15 pounds of fibroid cysts that I hadn't realized were there. Chalked up the menstrual problems to stress but other side effects drove me to the doctor who surprised the heck out of me with his diagnosis. Very large scar, many many stitches but back to a normal life within weeks. Yeah, you'll be tender, doors will be heavier, curbs steeper for a while but many other women will notice and whisper, "Did you have surgery; I did too" providing a beautiful support network. I have never felt one whit less femine or sexy as a result nor should any woman.

GraceHardGrave
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
My mom just recently had a hyst (I think, it was just the ovaries). I thought they were just gonna remove the mass she had in one ovary, but when they saw how beat-up they were they decided to take em both out. We've got PCOS in our family, so she had the cysts all up ins her junk. I have it too. Mom told me though, she'd rather have had the surgury than the complications of cancer. So if you're not even planning on kids, I say think og your own health first. I know it sucks, I may have to go through the same thing someday.

PCOS was always a big problem for me, I actually had to have surgery for my one year wedding anniversary. Hubby keeps saying that too. "If it's for your health, do we really have a choice?"

GraceHardGrave
11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
My response:
If I can't use it and its causing me such horrible pain, TAKE IT OUT!!!
I've never regretted it and I was much happier each month.
Granted, I already had children.

If you have any personal questions, feel free to PM me.

That's actually what I said in May, and that doctor thought that would be too soon.

If I think of any, I certainly will. I'm actually working with a book or two, and the hysterectomy page at doctorsonline to talk with my husband so we can figure out how to deal with things around the house.

GraceHardGrave
11-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I had my hysterectomy about 2 summers ago. It was one of the better things I have done for myself. I had utrine fibroid tumors that would grow with whatever treatments they tried. (the medications were like fertilizer to the darn things) When I couldn't lean forward in a chair without almost passing out from the pain is when I said take it out. Though all the input I got from women here helped quite a bit to make the decision also.

The First doc I had in this practice, said she suffered from PCOS as well, so she understood. When it came time to get down off of the table to walk in to the room where ultrasounds and the like were done, I was in tears.

The woman looked at me and said, "You have a low pain tolerance you need to GET OVER IT." (After doing the Ultrasound and seeing that the cyst was bigger than my uterus she didn't appologize.)

Trust me, I know pain. So of course I switched doctors.

Mairi the Herbwench
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
I haven't had one (yet) but my sister has and she's never looked back - said it was one of the best things she ever did. I'm a candidate for one since I also have fibroids, but because every general anesthetic I've ever used cause 3 days of vomiting and a week of naseau, I've been very relunctant to do anyting. A friend of mine told me about the Supracervical laprascopic hysterectomy (google it) and after researching it, if it comes down to it, I'm going to request this with a spinal. There's about 2 weeks recovery as oppesed to 6 weeks, it leaves your cervix intact so it doesn't interfere as much with your sex life, and the scarring is minimal since it's a laprascopic procedure. Look it up, talk with your doc, and see if it's right for you.

Best of luck - it's still major surgery!