PDA

View Full Version : Adipex/phentermine

Bean
02-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Anybody have any experience with Adipex? My doctor just put me on it for 6 months so I can drop about 45 lbs in order to get my cholesterol under control.

Rhia
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I took it right before I got married - dropped about 20 pounds, had tons of energy, ate little slept less

the hubby always laughed because it was like I was on low-grade speed

the first three days on it were unnerving as my hair crawled and my teeth itched and I couldn't stop talking, but after that I settled down a bit.

DoņaNina
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like it has a lot of caffeine.

WenchLadyKate
02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I took it right before I got married - dropped about 20 pounds, had tons of energy, ate little slept less

the hubby always laughed because it was like I was on low-grade speed

the first three days on it were unnerving as my hair crawled and my teeth itched and I couldn't stop talking, but after that I settled down a bit.

Did you keep off the 20lbs?

Any drug to me seems like a temporary fix. I recently found out that my cholesterol was too high so I started eating healthier and exercising. Granted, I've only been at it for 2 weeks, but whatever weight I lose, I'm hoping to keep off by doing it this way. If it doesn't come down, I'll do a cholesterol medication before any weight loss drug.

Also, is it a weight loss drug or something else that has the added benefit of weight loss and energy?

Bean
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I am only taking one per day, so my jitters were only bad for a couple of hours. I did talk alot at work yesterday, but I didn't feel really out of control.

I am also considering joining weight watchers. I am off to the bookstore today to see what I can find on nutrition. The doctor's office is sending a low carb diet to me, but I don't know if I can give up my carbs.....

LadyKate: it is designed for weight loss; it's and appetite suppressant.

Ria: how long did you take it to lose the 20 lbs? I am on this for 6 months so I hope to drop about 45-50.

thanks for the input!!

DoņaNina
02-21-2007, 12:09 PM
It's bad carbs you're going to have to give up if you want to lose weight. Seriously, you'd be surprised how awful the stuff you get most of your carbs can be.

I know giving up white bread and pasta can seem awful at first, but really, you get over it pretty quickly. All that starch is pretty worthless and turns to fat quickly unless you're an olympic marathon runner.

MaidenFaeSnow
02-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Several years back I took somthing similar, lost 80+ in less than a year. It also affected my hair in that it thinned-permanently. Once off of the med, the weight came right back on. Anything like this is a temporary fix. The only long term solution is to change the way you live your life.

Change your eating habbits and move your body in such a way that it is a way of life for you. Focusing on 'dieting' defeats the purpose itself because too much attention is paid to eating. The only thing that ever worked for me was getting myself moving. I HAVE to work out, or I cannot maintain a lower body weight. As a result I look like I do right now, bigger than I know I need to be. I know all I need to do exercise and I can maintain any weight I want and still eat pretty much whatever.

I don't really understand why doctors put people on these meds and then not figure out a sufficient plan for AFTER the meds stop. It makes no sense to me. So if I were you, I'd be thinking about that while you are on them, what will you do to change your habbits while you are on the meds so that when you come off of them your life has already been modified and you won't put the weight back on.

Bean
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I am considering several options on the nutritional front: weight watchers, low carb, low fat, and just plain good nutrition from the old chart of food groups.

I am already trying to make healthier choices for lunches at work, I had soup and salad at Panera yesterday instead of McD's, Wendy's, or Taco Bell that I would eat every day. I also needed to make a trip to the grocery store so this was a good time. I can now stock up on good stuff and won't have to throw so much away.

I realize that this pill won't do it all and that if I don't change my evil ways that I will gain it right back. It is, however, a start; a way to jump start some results that will keep me motivated. I also started a sort of food journal to track weight, what I ate, water intake, and general feelings for the day. Right now it's mostly fear of failure, fear of committing to the new lifestyle I'm going to need to lead, fear that it will be too much information/changes all at once and that I won't be able to handle all of it.

Although, I do have loads of new fabric just waiting to be made into new bodices, and I refuse to make them until I lose a bit!!! So I'm going to go and fondle my fabric and picture me thinner and in NEW GARB!!!

sslider66
02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
It sounds like you are going at it with the right attitude. Just keep in mind that the pills are temporary and changing your habits will give you the best long-term results. Good luck!

MaidenFaeSnow
02-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Just keep in mind that as you lose the weight, you'll gain energy and you'll become more active which will inturn make losing easier and it will all become more natural. Letting it be natural...letting it just 'be' helped me so it became part of who I was.

The timing of coming off the med and graduating college was a downfall for me. I was using the college gym as it was free and it was a comfy place for me to work out, it wasn't a meat market. When I graduated, I couldn't use the gym anymore - life moved on - and not working out anymore is when I started gaining weight back and headed back into old habbits. That's was purly my fault and I was well aware of it but I had already learned the lessons that could keep me on a healthy track.

Best of luck to you!!

Bean
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
What surprised me the most was that my cholesterol went up over 40 points in 2 years!! I have 3 siblings with high cholesterol, another one that had a stroke at 40, and my dad has had all kinds of circulatory issues including a blocked carotid artery. So, I have alot to worry about.

All I can think of now is that I'm going to have some sort of major medical breakdown and that all my hard work getting financially stable is going to disappear. I'm finally at a place in my life that I don't have to worry about how I'm going to pay the bills and I don't want to go back.

Okay, virtual therapy session over!!

I know that it's said all the time here on the boards, but I can't thank you guys enough for responding to this inquiry and the thoughts of support. It really does help to know that you guys are out there and I can call for help at any time and someone will respond whether they know me or not.

Rhia
02-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Mine came back slowly (marriage is bad for the waistline! *g*)
But I was eating the same crap as always - I was totally dependent on the drug for the weight loss. For a jump start, I could see it being helpful if you can't get your metabolism moving in the right direction though lifestyle changes.

I've done WW in the past and lost some (25 lbs) but felt very restricted - probably just me, but there you are. Hell of a lot better than Jenny Craig (crazy bitch!) Anyway... also did the Adkins/South Beach thing - HATED IT! I was miserable; like just this side of clinically depressed miserable - every meal inspired new crying jags. Didn't lose a pound in the month I was on it and I was nuts.

Right now I'm doing SparkPeople and LOVE it! It's lifestyle change driven, not dieting. I've lost 16 pounds since January 4th and haven't felt deprived at all. The hubby is on it to and he's lost 12 pounds in the past month - he's watching cholesterol levels as well and one of the things he really likes is the ability track a whole host of nutritional areas, cholesterol being one of them.

Good luck with whatever you do - remember to pick something you can deal with forever and not just for the forseeable few months.

I am considering several options on the nutritional front: weight watchers, low carb, low fat, and just plain good nutrition from the old chart of food groups.

I am already trying to make healthier choices for lunches at work, I had soup and salad at Panera yesterday instead of McD's, Wendy's, or Taco Bell that I would eat every day. I also needed to make a trip to the grocery store so this was a good time. I can now stock up on good stuff and won't have to throw so much away.

I realize that this pill won't do it all and that if I don't change my evil ways that I will gain it right back. It is, however, a start; a way to jump start some results that will keep me motivated. I also started a sort of food journal to track weight, what I ate, water intake, and general feelings for the day. Right now it's mostly fear of failure, fear of committing to the new lifestyle I'm going to need to lead, fear that it will be too much information/changes all at once and that I won't be able to handle all of it.

Although, I do have loads of new fabric just waiting to be made into new bodices, and I refuse to make them until I lose a bit!!! So I'm going to go and fondle my fabric and picture me thinner and in NEW GARB!!!

WenchLadyKate
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I've been doing the WW thing and if you decide to do it, go the monthly way when you get a membership with WWonline. It makes journaling much easier since you can do it online.

The main things for me were giving up things like, iced tea, juice, fast food (which I'm sure I'll still have a taco every now and then, they're only 3 points!), chips and the afternoon piece of chocolate. I replaced the chips with a serving of plain cereal (the crunch for me is my comfort) and the afternoon chocolate with lowfat yogurt.

Some other things that I've given up are butter (I'm using Smart Balance now), milk (I used lact-aid and still do, but now it's fat-free or soy for me), processed sugars and fats, and pasta (although I havn't given it up entirely, it's a once a month thing now). There are more, but I can't think of any...

I haven't felt deprived on WW at all, but I still get a lot of points (30). My mom has a bit though, but she has less points (24) than I do so I can understand the difference. She is also unwilling to try the new stuff in the house. She's going the entirely "frozen WW stuff" way. I just can't get behind it.

OMG, I could go on forever... Anyways, if you need any support, if you join WW, lemme know! I'm having a blast trying all sorts of new things...

Selena
02-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Just keep in mind that as you lose the weight, you'll gain energy and you'll become more active which will inturn make losing easier and it will all become more natural.

Yup yup yup. Been there, too. Just realize it's a help UP to the right direction and not a complete fix. It's great to get you ON track, but keeping on track is up to you.

BTW, my doc won't even prescribe the drug... he's afraid of getting sued.

Bean
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Rhia, what is SparkPeople? Can you give weblinks or book titles? I am interested in anything that will help and not be too restrictive. I just bought the book "Idiot's Guide to Nutrition" so hopefully I'll have a better understanding of food groups, reading labels, etc.

Rhia
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't EVEN Get me started! I'm turning into a recruitment poster for SP!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

I love the place, but know it's not for everyone.
It's free! me loves me some free!
it guides you through the whole thing, with daily emails and a variety of stages to work your towards healthier habits
it encourages you to track your food intake with a great, easy interface
it encourages you, without pressure, to add cardio and strength training to your week
it offers "teams" to join based on interest, location or even goals (there are two rennie/wench teams!)Let me know if you are interested in getting on and I'll make sure we hook up over there and get you on the wench teams!

the only thing that's a downside is that it's very much tied to your computer

Rhia, what is SparkPeople? Can you give weblinks or book titles? I am interested in anything that will help and not be too restrictive. I just bought the book "Idiot's Guide to Nutrition" so hopefully I'll have a better understanding of food groups, reading labels, etc.