PDA

View Full Version : Bodice question

Aoife (pronounced E-fah)
09-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Ok ladies, I have FINALLY got a bodice! YAY ME!! But I have just one question...How should I lace it? I know there are many different ways to do it, but I really don't know the 1st thing about actually doing it. What should I use? Ribbon or leather or what? Is there a site somewhere that shows the different ways to lace?

Athalia Jewel
09-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Ok ladies, I have FINALLY got a bodice! YAY ME!! But I have just one question...How should I lace it? I know there are many different ways to do it, but I really don't know the 1st thing about actually doing it. What should I use? Ribbon or leather or what? Is there a site somewhere that shows the different ways to lace?

It should be laced from bottom to top.....that pushes everything up. Lacing from top to bottom will push everything down.

As for what to lace it with, that is up to you.

lauradake
09-07-2003, 05:00 PM

Hey--glad the bodice situation worked out! Where did you get this one from? :)

Lots of people lace their bodices in lots of different ways. Personally, I tend to lace from the bottom up, like a shoelace. Your options are limited by the configuration of the lacing holes/grommets. Spiral laced bodices have the lacing holes offset, while more moden lacing methods have them even.

Here is some information on Spiral Lacing:
http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/lacing/lacing.html

That site also has information on Ladder Lacing, which can be done with the modern lacing configuration.

As for what to lace with--some people like ribbon. Others like leather laces. Others like shoelaces. I prefer a cotton cord, myself. Your mileage may vary.

When push comes to shove... just experiment with it. Try different things, and see what you like best. :)

Aoife (pronounced E-fah)
09-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Hey--glad the bodice situation worked out! Where did you get this one from? :)

I found a local woman who normally makes sleeveless prom dresses, you know the kind, bustier styled. this was her 1st attempt to make a bodice, but think she did a marvelous job on it.

lauradake
09-07-2003, 05:09 PM
I found a local woman who normally makes sleeveless prom dresses, you know the kind, bustier styled. this was her 1st attempt to make a bodice, but think she did a marvelous job on it.

Awesome! Glad it worked out! :)

Jeannie Fitzgerald
09-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Avoid leather. It doesn't take a knot very well. And it's not all that strong.

My best luck has been with cotton or cottonlike bootlaces. They are strong, come in a limited selection of colors and take a knot very well. I'm rather large so I take two 60" or 72" laces and tie them together with a square knot, lock the knot with a small drop of super glue, then trim the tag ends off the knot.

I lace from bottom to top because by the time I have everything cinched up, there is a lot of lace left over and I need to be able to tuck the long ends in so they won't dangle all over me. Lacing top to bottom would be more period, depending on class, but whether you do or not would depend on if you wear a corset or not. I recommend a corset since depending on the bodice to shape you puts a lot of wear and tear on the bodice.

Cotton cord should work well also and can be dyed to any color you want.

Many women use ribbon but strictly speaking, it's not period and most ribbon (except silk and some polyester) doesn't take a knot all that well. It does look good though. Depends on the look you're going for.

Have fun with the new bodice.

MajikalMuppet
09-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Over the way to many years I've been doing this, the best way I can think to explain this...Lace it like a tennis shoe. Start at the bottom work your way up.

I find cotton cording, which comes in an array of colors or just purchase white and dye to match, one of the best lacings.

Beatriz
09-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Whether you lace your bodice top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top, spiral, ladder or modern (think of those tennis shoes) depends in large part on how historically accurate you wish (or need) to be.

Lacing the bodice from top to bottom, from what I have read, is more historically accurate if you are middle class or above. (people with money had wet nurses, so they wouldn't worry about how a garment was laced for nursing). However, lacing top to bottom doesn't give as much OOMPH impact from the cleavage. Then again, if you're wearing middles or above a) you are probably wearing a corset anyway and b) aren't looking for that "nearly-over-the-top" cleavage look.

Lacing from bottom to top, as many have mentioned, does provide more lift to display your assetts. It's also probably more accurate if you are portraying a lower class persona (again--if accuracy is wanted or needed).

Another great lace option is rat tail. The satin comes in TONS of colors and is strong. I really think you'll need to play around with something that fits you and your needs. Ribbon, unless your bodice isn't doing much work, probably won't stand up to the job. Some people swear by leather lace. I've also seen leather snap when a wench was fitted into a "if I can breathe it's not tight enough" bodice. My suggestion would be to make sure you have an extra set of laces with you, whatever you choose, until you are sure that what you've chosen will hold up all day.

Ysobelle
09-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I actually close all my corsets with a busk now, specifically so there's little lacing adjustment involved. I just prefer it that way. But I've also taken to using organza ribbon for the lacings-- it looks lovely, and since there isn't too much adjusting, it usually holds.

Having said that, one of Rhoda's lacings did break last week, so I'm replacing that. I also use satin ribbons, and let the ends hang very long. I LOVE the look. But then, I can get away with that at PARF. And I may myself switch to organza-- the way it flutters is just so lovely. Yum.

Caitriona
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
I actually close all my corsets with a busk now, specifically so there's little lacing adjustment involved. I just prefer it that way. But I've also taken to using organza ribbon for the lacings-- it looks lovely, and since there isn't too much adjusting, it usually holds.

Having said that, one of Rhoda's lacings did break last week, so I'm replacing that. I also use satin ribbons, and let the ends hang very long. I LOVE the look. But then, I can get away with that at PARF. And I may myself switch to organza-- the way it flutters is just so lovely. Yum.

But that broke from over-zealous tweaking. I love the way the ribbon flutters and it is strong, but then I'm not one for "I can still breathe it must be tighter" rule either. I like to be comfortable, but still show my assets. (thanks, Nikki) I like the busk in the front so I don't have to keep relacing.

Rho

LynneD
09-08-2003, 01:58 PM
If I have enough time, I like to make my own cord with a lucet. It goes pretty quickly, and I can do it on the subway. I use that heavy, twisted perle cotton embroidery floss (the kind that you don't separate into strands). It comes in a lot of colors, so you can match it to your bodice, and it makes a very strong, thin, square cord that slips through the grommets easily, but not too easily. As a bonus, it doesn't unravel, either! I got my lucet from Lark Books, but I think Lacis carries them, too.

lauradake
09-08-2003, 03:24 PM

*nod* I use organza ribbon in one of my more fantasy bodices, shown here:

http://www.greycatdesigns.com/images/g_l_ms_2002.jpg

Not the best picture--but you can kinda see some of the ribbon wrapped around Greg's hand that's sitting on my waist....)

Very happy, fluttery, and STRONG as all get-out.

Ysobelle
09-08-2003, 04:24 PM
So where do you get yours? It's expensive by the roll!

lauradake
09-08-2003, 06:47 PM

I've only used it just that once--and I picked up a bunch of rolls in the bargin ribbon bin at etiher Joann's or Hancock's. Wish I could direct you to a more reliable source!

Isabella
09-15-2003, 11:16 PM
I latter lace myself. It gives a good hold. I use anything. Yarn or grograin ribbon. They both work, tho the grograin is so mucho easier to handle. If you put some hot glue on the ends it helps thread it, and keep it from running. :)

vanessa
09-17-2003, 03:05 AM
I've been using the "X" method myself, but after looking at that page, I just may change how I lace my bodice! :)

Thanks!

justLori
09-17-2003, 12:53 PM

I've only used it just that once--and I picked up a bunch of rolls in the bargin ribbon bin at etiher Joann's or Hancock's. Wish I could direct you to a more reliable source!

I've also seen it at Jo-Ann's in the bargain stuff--and have a nice collection of it now. Never thought to use it as lacing...hmmm....

just Lori