PDA

View Full Version : At the end of my..... er... thread. -rant-

nyghtshayde
09-07-2003, 05:06 PM
This is the third bloody second hand sewing machine that has gone down the tubes for me. Since I started sewing two years ago, I have been extremely lucky, as those who come across their unused machines will bring them to me in hopes that I can use them....

The problem is, each one is old... I think the last one was from the 80's which isnt toooo bad, the others are from the 60's I think. Each one has had a major attitude problem, and at first were quirks I could work around, but eventually they just died out.

The first one died from old age, its motor pretty much died. The second one (the "newest" one) tangles the bobbin thread constantly, and this last one breaks needles unpredictably and has also started to tangle. Its the tension, the mechanism has fried out somehow. I dont know enough about the machine to try and fix it.

Im dying to get a new machine, I just dont see it happening. And Im sitting here with two french seams to complete, four hems, and two pairs of bloomers to sew :augh:

Im just ranting, Im looking at having to sew all this up by hand before faire this weekend and am allready mourning for my poor eyesight :(

Anyone else having my luck? :(

(I should note all the machines have been thouroghly (sp) cleaned and I made sure to oil them as per normal maintenance :( they arent dying out on me from lack of love and much pleading :wah:

Bonnie
09-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Your local sewing machine shop should be able to give the old beast a tune up, which should fix your problem. Actually, mine gets a tune up about once or twice a year, else the same things start happening to it....it's the timing causing the broken needles, tangled threads, skipped stitches....

shouldn't cost more than sixty dollars or so, maybe less it you have a coupon (my shop has coupons)

truly worth it. Better than hand sewing and cheaper than a new machine, or even a used machine.

Mermaid
09-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Yep, I'm with Bonnie on that one! Sewing machine tuneup at least yearly. I bought an old old machine for $5--spent $24.95 on the tuneup, only to be told it needed a new motor, it was sparking. $64.00 for that. Now it sews beautifully, and it's a heavy, sturdy machine. should last another 40 years or so! I gave it to my daughter <G>a
Most sew/vac places have coupons--sometimes you may have to ask them if they do and where they run them.

Mermaid

Beatriz
09-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Okay, where are you ladies finding used machines at such great prices? I have an el-cheepo Brother sewing maching that I bought on sale at Wally World for about 50 bucks, but wow! I sure would love to replace it with an older (and better made) machine.

'Nise
09-08-2003, 06:00 PM
try thrift stores, most have them for under 30 bucks, usually around 15.
Love
'Nise

cyd
09-08-2003, 06:05 PM
or ebay.

Me, I've got a REALLY old treadle machine that I'm going to get converted with a motor... the treadle machines are SPECTACULAR for working with leather and heavy materials, but having to treadle leaves something to be desired... But the whole kitncaboodle cost me a grand total of $25.

By the way, Allie, I still owe you for a belt. ;)

I've also got a few older machines... and quite honestly, you can get a really nice older machine for $50 or less on ebay... and the older machines are really worth it!!! They'll cut through anything like butter, while the new ones have plastic gears and will break... The newer ones are great for embroidery, but for straight sewing, the older ones win hands down!!!

Reminds me, time to bring the serger in for a tune-up...

Cyd

Mermaid
09-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Also check estate sales.....and the sew/vac place I use for tuneups has several old machines for sale---not sure how much they are, but you'd have the tuneup part already done, so if you find a place, that would something to consider as well.

Mermaid