PDA

View Full Version : Jude Deveraux

emalia
01-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Has anyone else started reading her books? I ahve read 3 in teh past 2 weeks, and I am starting on my 4th! It all started with Forever.. Then it was a knight in shining armor, follwed by High Tide ans now it is Temptation. Any suggestions as to what I should read next?

Morrigan
01-29-2003, 09:09 AM
OMG Jude has soooooooooo many good books.. it's hard to say.. but here are my picks
The Velvet series.. (Velvet Promise, Highland Velvet, Velvet Song, and Velvet Angel) there is a book before those.. Black Lion or something like that.. (help me here PK) it's of the first Montgomery

Also The Taming and the Conquest and.. hmmm the other one... the Awakening maybe.. all go together and are good..

honestly anything by Jude Rocks

emalia
01-29-2003, 09:37 AM
so perhaps I should try to read them in order then? It might be helpful? I am finding that I rather like what I have read of the Montgomery's

Morrigan
01-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Yeah.. in order would be good.. ROFL and i have no idea what the order is... except that Velvet song is the last one....I always look at the copyright dates when reading books for the order! lol

Hugs.. hope you like them!

PirateKisses
01-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Yep, The Black Lion is the first in the Mongtgomery series. Rather old but really good. The entire Velvet series is fantastic.

If you like Jude, then you will absolutely LOVE Julie Garwood! The Bride is a scream! Anything but her modern mystery/thriller books are awesome. I was a little disappointed with the modern books.

It's all Morrigan's fault. She got me started on them back in the late 80's. Wow, that really dates me, doesn't it? No wonder I did my hair eggplant...gotta cover that gray somehow!

PK
who is now the coolest mom in the preschool class courtesy of her purpley hair and pierced tongue.

Morrigan
01-29-2003, 07:40 PM
ROFL OMG my hair is Vampire red now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnkleGoddess
01-29-2003, 11:29 PM
I am to agree that Julie Garland rocks. I have Gentle Warrior and the Wedding. I like Teresa Medeiros's The Bride and the Beast also.

emalia
01-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I also just recently picked up a book called THe Playboy, it is the second in a trillogy that started with The bachelor. I do have to say that it was a great read, and I am looking forward to starting it after I get through Temptation.

But thanks for the hints. I will try Julie when I demolish all Jude has to offer.

Avhiennda
01-30-2003, 10:19 PM
There was a Jude Deveraux book (I think I still have it) which was awesome! It was about a woman and a ship and a plantation and how she ended up working it and running it on her own. Of course the man of her life is the one who 'captured' her and whisked her away.

But I can't remember the name of the book! help?

Avhi

emalia
01-31-2003, 07:12 AM
That sounds right up my alley!!! Please post it if you figure out what it is.

CinD
02-05-2003, 03:46 PM
If you like Jude, have you read any of the Julie Garwood books? I absolutely love her writing style and her characters are memorable! I have read and re-read many times every one of her books - the historically based, as well as the moderns - every time I fall in love with her characters!

If you want to read some great books, but without the lusty sex scenes, anything written by Georgette Heyer is worth the investment! I think in most of her books, tho, she's more Regency era and definitely not Ren. Regardless, I love her style, as well - and her murder mysteries are great, too!

If you like murder mysteries, Anne Perry's books are very good - during the time of Jack the Ripper. Good characters and well written - not a lot of repetition to remind you what happened in the last chapter - I just hate that! :yuck:

Happy reading!! :grouphug: cc

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
02-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Ok, Love Jude Devereaux. Really love her old stuff. Not as big of a fan with anything after Remembrance. A Knight in Shining Armour was my first trashy romance novel, and it's still one of my favorites.

The Velvet series (in order) are The Velvet Promise, Highland Velvet, Velvet Song and Velvet Angel. Then read The Black Lyon, (the only book I cannot keep. I've had three of them and all three have disappeared!)because you'll appreciate it more with some Montgomery knowledge. After those, my favorite pairings are Wishes (and you have to read Mountain Laurel too, because it's about Jace's parents) I like the Twin of Ice, Twin of Fire books, too, and the Taming and the Conquest are incredible.

Sweet Liar is my favorite contemporary one.

I vaguely remember that she has a new one coming out. Here's hoping that it's back to the old style...

Ariyana Dragonwagon
02-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Juse Deveraux's new book is entitles Forever and it is very good, though more of a modern tale.. with a supernatural twist.. even my daughter liked it and so far the only books we have both liked were the Janet Evanovich books!

surlywench
02-14-2003, 02:08 AM
I LOVE the Montgomery books ;o)

I was introduced to "Velvet Song" by a friend in my cabin at a (go figure) all girls christian summer camp. The only one I haven't read, (I can't find it...her books I buy vintage, with the full cover paintings) is Velvet promise.
I've read Knight I.S. Armor, didn't have nearly as much fun with it.

For pure schmoop factor, try one called "this is all I ask" dont remember the author. It's *too* cute.

-SW

CelticBombshell
02-14-2003, 01:35 PM
I love both Julie Garwood and Jude. But my favorite is johanna Lindsey. She does alot of historical during the Saxon-Norman time period.

:meow:

emalia
02-14-2003, 01:53 PM
I am starting on Velvet highlander today!

Kat
02-16-2003, 10:33 PM
I've read Jude Deveraux, Julie Garwood, just about anyone (almost) that is in this time period. I love them, at the moment I am reading a series by Diana Gabaldon. The first in the series is Outlander. I know they have been out for awhile, but they are good. The books are around 800 to 900 pages. One of the reasons I like this series is the time period and when the book comes to an end (when I still want the story to go on) I can pick up the next book and continue to read about the people in this book that I have come to know. There are five books in this series. If you haven't started to read them, go get them, they are good.