PDA

View Full Version : New Guild

Miller's Daughter
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I've started some of the planning for a gypsy guild in (Southern) California. So far, I'm up to four definite members, and four prospective members, and I'm just curious if any of you lovely wenches are interested as well. Most of the info I've got figured out can be found on Myspace...

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&EntryID=35563013&categoryID=0&groupID=100809401

If you have any questions/comments, post here or PM me (or on Myspace, if you've got an account there).

~Little Lily

Mistress Morigianna
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
can you clarefy what you mean by gypsy?

some groups here are pirmary bellydancers with tribal outfits.
or do you mean the "fantasy' gypsy in multi colored clothing like stevie nicks (lol)
or ???

Miller's Daughter
05-24-2007, 07:57 PM
A cross between the fantasy "gypsies" and the Romani/Irish Travelers/Black Dutch/other various clans. We're superstitious and often spiritual band of misfit travellers...

Here's a copy of the Myspace post:

I am trying to put together a gypsy guild, loosely based on Romani beliefs and traditions, and am looking for storytellers, actors, singers, musicians, fortune tellers, etc (basically, anything to give us the feel of the ancient travelers).

What we do & Who we are:

Play with the patrons, obviously. As a part of faire, we are there to make the customers smile and laugh. Street skits would be a wonderful way of doing this, being out there with the people, and pulling them into whatever mischief we may be creating. Play with other participants.

We are a rag-tag clan of people simply trying to survive on the road. We can dance, sing, play a (period) instrument, tell the children stories, read palms, juggle - whatever strikes your fancy, as long as you can keep it fairly clean. Our characters are known as the liars, cheats, and thieves, creating trouble wherever we go.

What you need:

-A character with a history. Does not necessarily have to be of Romani blood, seeing as the guildmaster - myself - has one of Irish descent. The clan is, for the most part, a melting-pot of mischievous 'gypsy' travelers.

-Faire garb that works with the guild and your character.

-A good attitude and a sense of humor.

-I DO NOT REQUIRE EXPERIENCE WITH RENAISSANCE FAIRES. We are here to help each other out, and I see this as a "beginner's" guild. If someone wants to be a part of this group, but has never actually worked (or maybe even attended) a faire, that is fine by me. I will show them the ropes (and I hope that other members will, too).

Requirements/Rules:

-We PRETEND to be trouble. I have a 3-strikes rule. If I find out that someone is causing trouble that is worthy of getting us booted from the faire, we will sit down and have a little talk. The second time, you will be pulled from our current faire, regardless of how many days/weeks are left. The third time, you will be pulled from the guild. Again, we are pretending to be trouble - please don't actually cause any.

-When the guild starts growing, there may be a small fee ($10/year or so), to set aside for things like supplies for the guild, food and drink for the guild sites, etc. I have not actually decided on this yet, so don't let it hold you back from joining now. When I start thinking it may be necessary, there with be a guild meeting, so everybody can share their opinions and vote on it.

And then there's this...

Just posting more info as questions are being asked...

Like I said, I'd like it to be more of a learning experience, even for me. I'm still learning how to put it all together and such (so, of course, any and all help would be greatly appreciated)...
I don't think having a booth at a certain faire will get in the way. I'd like to work a few different faires (those are still being decided), so when the time comes, just let me know which ones you can be at, and I'll make sure to put you down on the gate list.

I do classify the group as a performer guild. Street improv, mostly, but any talents you may have could possibly be used. Gypsies did what they could to make money and survive, so anything from juggling to contortionists, singing and dancing, palm and tarot readings, storytelling (I think I push this one just because it's something I'd like to do myself, lol). But simple street acting is fine, as well. Again, any talents at all would be useful.

If you have any other questions, post them in the forum or message me, and I will do my best to answer them. Also, I'd appreciate any input you might have as prospective members.

If you would prefer to talk in person or privately, just let me know. (And, for those of you around Corona, I should be there the weekend of the 9th/10th, so don't be afraid to approach me, even if I look busy.)

Pathos
05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Could you make that text a little smaller? I can still see it.

:wink:

Miller's Daughter
05-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Sorry... :roll: It actually looks kinda large on my computer... lol... I was wonder if y'all'd be able to see it... But at least you can see it, though, right? :/

Gemdrite
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry... :roll: It actually looks kinda large on my computer... lol... I was wonder if y'all'd be able to see it... But at least you can see it, though, right? :/
Don't worry, it's readable. Just a little small, is all. No worries!

Bronya
05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Just a quick reminder (not to rain on your parade)...if you plan on having this guild at our Faire in Irwindale and plan on interacting with 'danes, you need to get approval from R.E.C. They are very strict!!! They pretty much rule EVERYTHING that goes on there.

Miller's Daughter
05-27-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not actually sure about working REC yet. That's something that will be decided over time. Of course, we could just do what my Spaniard friends do... They've got a guild, but because they don't work RPFS, they simply all go together every weekend, and they still play with the patrons and the performers. But like I said, that's something we'll figure out when we come to it. *shrugs*