PDA

View Full Version : Northern California Renaissance Festival. Seriously?

LdyJhawk
09-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Okay..Casa de Fruta. What? Seriously, what?

Should I have figured that it was going to just annoy me because I'm used to the midwest prices for gate (which..I've paid to get into uh..I think I paid to get into Bristol once in 2001 so maybe a bad idea) and paying 25.00 per person to get in made me go o.O

Should I have realized something was amiss when instead of "welcome to the shire/festival/hey ya'll" I got "enjoy your shopping!" from the one cast member to speak with me on any level unless you count hawkers from booths? yes, I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt just because it was a new faire and I wanted to see what was what, I don't imagine I could be mistaken as a fellow performer

The lack of street performers? The fact that the Queen was speaking to a patron in a lovely California slow and easy tone and yet was STILL the only person to to interact?

Maybe having to elbow through grouped performers idly chatting with each other just to get OUT the gate a mere hour after I'd paid to get in was a bit off putting..

This faire was..tiny. I swear, I'm used to winding lanes speckled with trees and some hidden stages. Wharfs, a chapel..this just seemed a bit like a mall.

Is it a hard site? Is it year round? Anyone?

Can anyone give me some insight here that could maybe help me learn to love this place? I can never say it will be home but lord...

Props for Gloriana's costume though. Her head piece alone was quite lovely

MaidenFaeSnow
09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know anything at all about that faire. Is this it's first year? I would think a person would have to expect certain things during the first year of any faire. It certainly would not be anything like a faire that has been around a while. Far less organzation. Gate price - if it is that small I would find it difficult to swallow a hefty gate price too...out here the gate price at PARF is $27.95, far more than the $18.95 at MDRF but then it's a bit larger too.

Perhaps some constructive feedback would be helpful directed towards their management to help make next years faire better.

FairieTink
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't know anything at all about that faire. Is this it's first year? I would think a person would have to expect certain things during the first year of any faire. It certainly would not be anything like a faire that has been around a while. Far less organzation. Gate price - if it is that small I would find it difficult to swallow a hefty gate price too...out here the gate price at PARF is $27.95, far more than the $18.95 at MDRF but then it's a bit larger too.

Perhaps some constructive feedback would be helpful directed towards their management to help make next years faire better.

I was just chatting to someone about this today, as far as I know, PARF is the most costly faire to get in, Hell even TRF is on;y 21 bucks at the gate. PARF may be a nice faire, and I love u all but there ain't no f*(king way I am paying that much to get in.

MaidenFaeSnow
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I was just chatting to someone about this today, as far as I know, PARF is the most costly faire to get in, Hell even TRF is on;y 21 bucks at the gate. PARF may be a nice faire, and I love u all but there ain't no f*(king way I am paying that much to get in.

There ARE ways to get around paying that price though :wink:

Buxom Wench
09-10-2007, 10:08 PM
There ARE ways to get around paying that price though :wink:

Yes, yes there are. ::whistle::

Bronya
09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Casa De Fruta is the old Renasissance Pleasure Faire-North. It moved several times and used to be the same size as RPFS (the very FIRST faire ever established back in 1968) with about 250 booths. When REC let that Faire go a lot of people were very upset and Play Faire Productions was born. It took a few years to get going. The potenital is there to expand and grow. Alot of the booths (apx 150) are the same people from RPS. A huge amount of people from So Cal and San Luis Obispo, San Diego Faires and The Pirate Festival all travel to this Faire. In fact, if you are a member of Friends of Faire, they will honor your membership and give you one free weekend. Unfortuantely and not making excuses...this is California and everything always costs more here...most of you are only paying 2.23 a gallon for gas...we still pay 2.89! 25.00 is way to much they try to give a weekend deal of 35.00. I agree but if we want to go to Faire...There are a lot of the same performers that run the Cal circuit. Our version of Bold and Stupid Men, Broon and Mooney, Sound and Fury, Poxy Boggard, Merry Wives of Windsor. .
Some smaller Faires here in Central Cal don't cost anything or else maybe a donation to the local AIDS hospice or women's shelter.
As far as the queen goes..she is new...the best Queen ever is Gaelyn. Now she only does RPF. Iam going this Sun and will mention to Mike the lack of "Character" you found. since you live here in Ca., please give them another try and come visit Central Ca and So Cal Faires! We have a great one in Big Bear too!

Sorcha Griannon
09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
We have a great one in Big Bear too!
Big Bear moved this year too, and a friend that did go 2nd weekend Saturday said it was dead. Hardly any vendors and few in garb. Too bad. I'm planning on looking into being a vendor next year, but, who knows. I do know that a lot of people go there to see the Boggards, who are only doing that faire every other year, this being an off year, so perhaps that is the reason.

California has a lot of faire's that have moved within the last 5 years, big ones like RPFS and Casa being 2 key examples. It's hard to get the permanent buildings and built-ins when the lease (or owners) are jerking your chain. What did RPFS have, a 10 or 16 year lease that was broken 2 years ago shortly before faire was to begin, and we had just started putting in permanent structures too.
If I'm not mistaken, any structure has to be inspected and approved too (someone let me know if I'm wrong on this), and given the earthquakes, some standards are much more strict, and expensive, here than, say, somewhere without earthquakes.

Sorcha

LdyJhawk
09-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I want to head back to Casa de Fruta but there's just a part of me that keeps saying, "yeah but..25.00 for that?"

Don't get me wrong, they had some amazing vendors. But then again, they had a woman selling mass produced, tags still hanging from the ear stuffed puppets. It seemed like a bit of a toss up.

The guy with the leather masks? They were beautiful. *I* am too broke to get them, but beautiful. I wanted to make off with the spinning wheel a woman was spinning at, I figured it would have been frowned upon.

I was reminded by my SO that yes, there was a bit of interaction. outside the gate two rather zealous puritans made a game of reading my "I solemnly swear I am up to no good" shirt. It was cute. They appeared to have missed out on "you are playing for the patron, not each other" part so when one leaned a little close and started yelling next to my ear I had to cringe but hey, they TRIED. Leaps and bounds above anyone else in that place.

I really am just at war with myself. Go back and pay the 25..stay home and forget it's there. Guh. I WANT FAAAAAAIRE. Anyone have 300 bucks and a strong hankering to send a Kansas girl back home for a weekend fix? :P

SHpepperKat
09-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Where did RPFS move to? I used to go to that one when it was still out in Agoura. then they moved it to Glen Helen regional park. I think it lost alot after that move. Is there a new permanent site now?

Sorcha Griannon
09-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Where did RPFS move to? I used to go to that one when it was still out in Agoura. then they moved it to Glen Helen regional park. I think it lost alot after that move. Is there a new permanent site now?
It's now at the Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. No camping, onsite or close by, which sucks for me, no working ale anytime soon. Yes, it's got more shade, and is a little cooler, but I don't like the set up right now.

Sorcha

Mistress Morigianna
09-11-2007, 01:45 AM
big bear was a new site and a quick move. now it will be there and they
are making inprovments.
Second weekend overlapped another faire that many didn't know BB would when they signed up so it was strange second weekend.

sort of like the pirate faire coming up that decided 2 weekends was better but they over lap 3 other events the second weekend. And are not giving a one weekend discount....so lots of reg merchants can't go. ;-(

The new irwinedale site I have mixed feelings about. We were told we would not get rack cards for the store because we were no loger the "target" area forthe new faire. they are working the LA & hollywood crowd...LOL.
All the inland empire people that went to the devore faire are still looking to find where it went- heheh
Everyone seemd to think irwindale is i the middle of the desert 3hours from us rather than the same 40 minutes. :roll:

really out here you can go to faires from feb-nov all in under 3 hours from you!! ::yay::

Lis Elfwench
09-11-2007, 02:02 AM
really out here you can go to faires from feb-nov all in under 3 hours from you!! ::yay::

I'm so frickin' jealous. ::devilmaycry::

Sorcha Griannon
09-11-2007, 03:27 AM
big bear was a new site and a quick move. now it will be there and they
are making inprovments.
Second weekend overlapped another faire that many didn't know BB would when they signed up so it was strange second weekend.

I'm glad to hear that was the problem:) I had some problems getting my merchandise early enough this year, but worried about next year with the bleak picture of 2nd weekend.

Yeah on the large amount of faires! My problem is either getting the weekend off, or feeling up to it this year. I'm needing a faire fix, asap though. Isn't Las Vegas coming up soon? Kill 2 birds on that, faire and Vegas baby;).

Sorcha

SHpepperKat
09-11-2007, 03:39 AM
It's now at the Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. No camping, onsite or close by, which sucks for me, no working ale anytime soon. Yes, it's got more shade, and is a little cooler, but I don't like the set up right now.

Sorcha

No camping? that's not good at all. Do you know if there were other sites that were looked at for holding faire?

I want to go back down there someday and see all the faires I used to go to again.
Only now I have my own garb and can play a little more. I went to rpfs, escondido, San Diego the first year it opened. Always wanted to go to others too but never did. Hmmmmmmmm sounds like a great vacation idea. Ren Faires and In-n-Out burger in Cali.

Sorry for the hijack.

Perin
09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
PARF is the most costly faire to get in,

Wow $28 bucks to get in.

King Richard's used to claim that title but they're only $25 now. But at least at PA you can buy a season pass for $90. If you wanted to go to KRF every day as a patron you'd be looking at $25 x 18 days = $450.

Phoenix McHeit
09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Yup PARF is ridiculously costly. Which is why I tell everyone, if you're going to go more than 3 days, buy the stinking pass already!

That being said, I love PARF. ::yay::

MaidenFaeSnow
09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow $28 bucks to get in.

King Richard's used to claim that title but they're only $25 now. But at least at PA you can buy a season pass for $90. If you wanted to go to KRF every day as a patron you'd be looking at $25 x 18 days = $450.

Actually, if you buy your season passes before Jan. 1, they are only $65. Work that out per weekend, HUGE savings. Plus, food costs in the shire are very reasonable. Plus the interaction you get and shows are TOP notch! You can get return to the past passes for only $20 if you are planning to come back anytime during the season too. There are also a couple of days they will do a two-for-one admission day (usually opening weekend.) If you are on the Royal Family email list you often get admission coupons too.

Sorcha Griannon
09-11-2007, 11:04 AM
No camping? that's not good at all. Do you know if there were other sites that were looked at for holding faire?

I want to go back down there someday and see all the faires I used to go to again.
Only now I have my own garb and can play a little more. I went to rpfs, escondido, San Diego the first year it opened. Always wanted to go to others too but never did. Hmmmmmmmm sounds like a great vacation idea. Ren Faires and In-n-Out burger in Cali.

Sorry for the hijack.

I don't remember hearing any other places. I do know that LA County was the end all and be all. They definately wanted to get closer to the "money":)
Come on, you know you just have to have a Double Double from INO after a long day at faire. :wink:

Sorcha

KissMeKate
09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Unfortuantely and not making excuses...this is California and everything always costs more here...most of you are only paying 2.23 a gallon for gas...we still pay 2.89! 25.00 is way to much they try to give a weekend deal of 35.00.

I was excited to find regular gas at $2.95 near St. Louis yesterday, but the Chicago suburbs are climbing towards $3.20 again and don't even think about buying gas downtown!

I know many people are complaining about Bristol being $18.95, but they run coupons and specials, plus FOF and participants can get even better deals.

SHpepperKat
09-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Come on, you know you just have to have a Double Double from INO after a long day at faire. :wink:

Sorcha

But the DD must be with extra cheese and extra grilled onions. Fries and a chocolate shake. I haven't had one of those in 13 years. and BOY do I miss them.

Sorcha Griannon
09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
But the DD must be with extra cheese and extra grilled onions. Fries and a chocolate shake. I haven't had one of those in 13 years. and BOY do I miss them.

Sounds almost like animal-style. lol...Great, now I want one too

Sorcha

SHpepperKat
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Sounds almost like animal-style. lol...Great, now I want one too

Sorcha

have one for me too PLEASE ? ? ? ?

LdyJhawk
09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
There's an In N Out four minutes from my house. If eating it more than once a month didn't make my stomach try to leap out and kill me...I'd eat a lovely burger for you tonight

SHpepperKat
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I really really miss them. The last one I had was in 1994 and it's by and far past time for one again. Sadly, since all the meat and stuff is kept fresh, there will never be one near where I live up here in Wa. But the gang and I are planning a trip possibly to Disneyland next year and I already found the closest INO to there. Just a couple blocks away. So one could guess where I will be eating when we go. I even tried to get my mom and a friend to bring me one back. But when Mom went down, she forgot and my friend drove so that wouldn't have worked. Ok I am getting really really hungry now.

Bronya
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
They are trying so hard but RPF will never be like Agoura or when it was on the lake side at Devore. But it is the biggest Faire in Cal. I am sad about Big Bear...it was nice, up in the mountains. Save your money LadyJHawk and maybe Come to the pirate festival in San Luis Obispo nexhttp://www.goldcoastfestivals.com/piratefaire/pireventinfopg.html
make sure you come to So Cal to go to RPF. I live in Fresno and we have 3 here. There are Faires, you just have to travel a bit.

LdyJhawk
09-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I may just drop the cash and fly home to get my fix. I am weak

Mistress Morigianna
09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Big bear is still in the mountains- just on the other side of the lake in fawnskin instead of the bbcity proper- (less traffic!)

there is camping at a KOA near the suthern site but none on the site istelf.
The faire is on water- it is the sante fa damn.

I still miss long beach :ow: