PDA

View Full Version : Heat!

Mighty Rontor
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
No one ever said that MDRF isn't warm. Opening day this year sort of nailed that shut: heat index of 106F! I heard that there were anywhere between 9 and 13 ambulance rides. Maybe it's time they should start selling Gatorade at Faire. No, it's not period, but neither was wearing tapestry in 90F days back in 1540's. While this weekend promises to be much cooler, I'm very tempted to carry a wineskin with Gatorade from now on. I mean, I'm the son of Amazonian Brazilians, I generally love heat and humidity, and I think it's hot. I can't imagine how my friends of northern European descent can handle it, AND the booze to boot! Even some of the heartiest had their share of heat stroke and exhaustion.

By the way, ladies, how much are the glass blowers charging for a bodice chiller these days? I'd like to get a replacement for my lady, Nan.

LadyLaura
09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Try drinking a bit of pickle juice mixed in with your water... :wink: ye olde gator aid substitute! I generally can't drink booze if the temps are that high, have to wait until post-faire! The heat can sneak up on anyone, it's difficult to try to stay cool and hydrated, no matter who you are!

Emma
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
I second the pickle juice reccomendation. We're lucky to have a pickle seller at KY faire and if the heat starts getting to us that's where we head. Eating a pickle or drinking the juice helps with the electrolytes.

~Emma

Buxom Wench
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Before I headed to PARF Labor Day weekend, I picked up a box of salt tabs to leave in Ysobelle's booth.

I've ordered the electrolyte tabs and they should get here while I'm in Texas. :roll:

MaidenFaeSnow
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
The glass blower at PARF charges about $30 for bodice chillers. If you are a season ticket holder they knock five bucks off!

Mighty Rontor
09-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you all for the great advice! *hugs*

Of course, it was only natural that you would have ...The Answer! ^_^

Isabelle Warwicke
09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
You can buy small packets of powdered drink mix. They sell them just about anywhere bottled water is sold. They are super small and fit into almost any pouch or pocket. I usually can be found carrying a few Crystal Light Hydrate & Energy and Propel packs. If you can't find Gatorade, mix it yourself.