PDA

View Full Version : information request, assistance needed please

artimis_lebeau
10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Hello,

This past weekend, a very good friend of mine asked me to do something very special for him and his lady. I was asked to become legal in performing a marriage ceremony, and hand-fast them in September of 2004.

My question is this: Where does one start to aquire the liscence or paperwork to peform a hand-fasting ceremony so it is legal? Can this be done in less than a year?

I would appreciate any input regarding this matter. Feel free to post here, or e-mail me directly at [email protected] .

Thank you

emalia
10-13-2003, 09:42 AM
All that is technically needed is for you to become a notary public for your state. This will allow you to perform marriage ceremonies that are binding and leagal.

Caitriona
10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
I know in PA all you need to make a ceremony legal is to be ordained by the Universal Life Church. It takes about 5 minutes and can be done on-line, free and non-denominational.

www.ulc.org

Hope this helps...

artimis_lebeau
10-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the info.

Amelia: I did not realize being a notary public allowed one to perform marriage ceremonies.. Thanks

Caitriona: I was looking this morning through websites and found the ULC website. It was interesting to see that one can become ordained by internet. I would have to check on CT law, I did find that in Utah, they do not accept being ordained by internet as legal.. This is though a very possible way for me to achieve this. Do you know anyone who has registered through this site?

Thanks

Caitriona
10-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Caitriona: I was looking this morning through websites and found the ULC website. It was interesting to see that one can become ordained by internet. I would have to check on CT law, I did find that in Utah, they do not accept being ordained by internet as legal.. This is though a very possible way for me to achieve this. Do you know anyone who has registered through this site?

Thanks

Yes. My husband and I had a friend marry us who was registered. My Sister in law is also registered and I've been meaning to do so myself.

The easiest way to find out if you can use a ULC is just call the county clerks office in the county they will marry in.

Good Luck and best wishes to your friends.

artimis_lebeau
10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Thank you for the info and wishes..

Abigail
10-15-2003, 06:23 PM
All that is technically needed is for you to become a notary public for your state. This will allow you to perform marriage ceremonies that are binding and leagal.

That might be true in your state, but Not here in CA. You can go to the county clerks office and pay a $50.00 fee and be able to perfrom weddings for the day (24 hours).

I have an SCA Friend who was married by our Baron. He got the $50.00 permit and married them and someone else that day too. It gives you the "offical" say so from the state to legally marry folks.

My brother and his fiance are going to have her Grandfather do that , so he can officate their wedding.

I just IM'd a friend here in CA, and in CA notaries CANNOT marry people here, but she says there are other states where they can.

You might call and ask the county clerk's office where your friend is going to get married and find out.

~A~