PDA

View Full Version : Repeat after me---I am a fabric whore...........

Mermaid
10-21-2003, 12:56 AM
O.M. G.
After having a wet basement, I thought I'd better get more of the plastic tubs and get everything in them, rather than risk ruining something if I didn't spot a leak. I already had fabric in 4 bins---I have now filled 6 count 'em 6 more bins and have about 3 more to go. This is scary--I think I could sew garb for 10 garb whores and STILL have some left! Is there a 12 step program for the WalMart $1 fabric (since that's what most of this is) and maybe I should join for yarn too? (got 2 bins full of that!)
The GOOD thing is--I found some fabric I forgot about, and I have visions of an Irish in my head now!
(it's genetic, BTW--my mom has some fabric she bought at least 25 years ago--and she hasn't touched her sewing machine in at least 15 years!)

Mermaid<~waiting to hear "step away from the fabric counter!"

Jeannie Fitzgerald
10-21-2003, 01:42 AM
I am a fabric whore...I am a fabric whore...I am a fabric whore...I am...in need of more fabric...no...must think of things other than fabric...must think happy thoughts...fabric is a happy thought...ACK!

Caitriona
10-21-2003, 07:51 AM
I am a fabric whore too. But so far, I've only bought fabric with specifics in mind. Alot of it is Wal-mart $1/yd. But I did buy 5 yards of this great teal, awesome drape. I'm not sure if I want a chemise or a skirt out of it. But just because I bought it for a "reason" doesn't mean it's in the intended form, that may take years.

Oh, and just ask our dear Ysobelle about my addiction. I stand in her sewing room, eyeing up the remnants. I found a piece of material I *MUST* have. Don't know what I'll do with it, but I love it.

Yes I am a fabric whore.

ambar
10-21-2003, 09:41 AM
My last move had 2 wardrobe boxes filled with fabric as well as 4 china pack boxes. :shock: My yarn stash is 5 china pack boxes with me drooling over more. I am not even going to mention trim, thread, embrodiery floss, patterns, or research books(for costuming among other things). :stunned:

I am a fabric junkie with far too many suppliers in the neighborhood to give up the habit. :irked:

Do you think they make a patch for this? :lol:

Jeannie Fitzgerald
10-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Oh, I so hope they do not!

Mermaid
10-21-2003, 03:21 PM

I probably have the fabric to make a bunch of patches for it! :roll:

Mermaid

Nevada
10-21-2003, 04:00 PM
I will not bu anything unil we move...I will not buy anything until we move...so for gods sakes why do they keep having these keen sales!?

Ysobelle
10-21-2003, 04:16 PM

I probably have the fabric to make a bunch of patches for it! :roll:

Mermaid

G-d, that was beautiful.

Isabelle Warwicke
10-21-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm a fabric whore.

Sorcha Griannon
10-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Steps up to the podium, raising her right hand, placing the left hand on a pile of fabric
I am a fabric whore of the first degree. I admit this. I am one of those people that will go to wally world only to see what the new 1 dollar fabrics are at 2 am. I have boxes of the stuff, with only a vague idea of what I might ever do with it, if anything. I drool over cotton duck on sale for 1 dollar a yard. I have many unfinished garments (all i swear in the works, honest, i really am trying to finished them!) I have left fabric in my trunk for a couple weeks so I could sneek it in the house. I currently have 2 bags of polyfill in the car, that have been in there for about a month, cause frankly i have no room right now in the house. And, most importantly, I am turning my husband into a fabric/garb whore of the first degree.
Steps down from the podium, turning to let the next fab whore testify

Sorcha

Caitriona
10-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I have left fabric in my trunk for a couple weeks so I could sneek it in the house.

Yep, been there. just about always. The funny story is I bought 4 yards of burgandy gauze at Wally World. Thought it too sheer for hubby. When he saw it, he loved it and I was promptedly sent back (at 11 pm) for more for a shirt.

It still sits in it's bag. I've got other stuff to finish first. I don't have to worry about missing faire this winter. I have enough garb to sew.

AnnaFaerie
10-22-2003, 08:27 AM
*with head bowed* I also am a fabric whore!

I truely believe that she who dies with the most fabric wins!

cyd
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Um... I am a fabric whore.

Actually, I'm a textiles whore.

I've probably got about 8 bins of fabric (maybe more, but we're re-arranging things right now so I'm not sure), three bins of leather, a bin of yarn... *sigh*

*bows head* Must use up current supply... must use up current supply...

And yes, a good chunk of it is finding that great deal on the buckayards at wallyworld... Like the seventeen yards of dark teal corduroy that will become middles one of these years... *sigh*

I'm hopeless. *smirk*

Cyd

'Nise
10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Guilty as charged! I gave away a dishcrate box (4x3x3) of assorted fabric collected over the years last year when I moved in with my mother. I have even more then that now! But my really addiction is gemstone beads!!!!! I have two 60 drawer contraptions holding just my gems and pearls, there are a few boxes with over flow, and I want more beads! Luckily my fiance is undersatnding, as I make him garb and the jewelry gets sold...eventually.
Love
'Nise

Mairi the Herbwench
10-23-2003, 12:04 PM
I am not a Fabric Whore. I am insulating my basement. :pfft:

AnnaFaerie
10-23-2003, 12:21 PM
I am not a Fabric Whore. I am insullating my basement.

*snerk* Boy...do I like that excuse. I think I'll try it on the husband.

cyd
10-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah, thanks, Mairi. I think I just got a new sigline. :)

Cyd (who hasn't used her sig in ages anyway...)

Anabelle
10-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Let's see in my tiny apartment, I think I'm up to 4 plastic crates in one closet, a bin under the dining room table and the back of one of my closets is lined with upholstery length bolt rolls. Nah, I not an addict. :snicker:

Malina
10-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Yep I'm definitely a fabric whore. But only the $1.00 table at Wal-Mart, most of the time anyway...:)

Since my husband and I are both addicted to Faires I use the excuse of "Look how much money I saved us by not buying this at Faire and making it myself!" lol

It's gotten so bad I have one tub for chemises, 1 for full circle skirts, 1 for half circle etc...

And that's not counting the 3-5 tubs in the basement of "waiting to be used" material. :oops:

And I'm sorry but it does feel great when someone asks me where I got my skirt, chemise etc and I can answer "I made it myself!" :D

lauradake
10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
And I'm sorry but it does feel great when someone asks me where I got my skirt, chemise etc and I can answer "I made it myself!" :D

*smile* yep, that is the BEST feeling. :)

This season, both Himself and I have been repeatedly mistaken for cast or visiting professional Rennies at each and every faire that we've gone to--both by patrons *AND* cast.

Last weekend, we went dressed as this:

http://www.greycatdesigns.com/images/personal/DOW_2003/laura_michael_DOW.jpg

...and had a very nice conversation with one of the clowns at CRF about working faire. Himself worked fore fir about 6-7 years at RPFS, and although I've never worked, I've DRESSED a lot of cast... so I at least look the part, even if I can't do the accent. ;)

Of course, the best BEST feeling is walking around faire, and seeing someone wearing garb that YOU made--I feel like a kid in a candy shop when that happens. :)

Bonnie
10-28-2003, 09:59 AM
That would have to be pretty cool. I'm just glad I can make my own skirts and chemises...I want to start being bold and attempting to draft my own patterns from those generator sites, but I'm still a bit of a chicken shit.

I'd love to make a gored kirtle...saw the generator site for it, and it LOOKS like it should be easy....but damn. I'd be so pissed if I went through all that work and it came out crappy.

one day.

one day, though...I will do it.

It'll just take me a while to get the nerve up. Rather like the first time I tried sewing from a pattern. :)

lauradake
10-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Be brave. :)

And be sure to make a muslin first... drafting patterns can be a PITA, especially the first few times you do it. Mess around with the cheap-o muslin, and then use that as your pattern on the good stuff. :)

Ysobelle
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Bonnie, don't MAKE me come down there...!

You do have enough muslin, and you CAN do it. And yeah, it'll be a pain, but so what? Just makes it easier the next time round!

Bonnie
10-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Now that's not really an appropriate threat. I WANT you to come down here.

Ysobelle
10-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Now that's not really an appropriate threat. I WANT you to come down here.

And the colder it gets, darling, the more I want to!

emalia
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
I prefer the Term Connoisseur. Whore is so.. crass.. ;D

I am a Fabric Conn...

Ohh screw it.. I am a fabric Whore!

Jayden2298
10-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Fabric Monger
Farbic collector
Fabric floozy
Fabric strumpet
Fabric whore works........

Ysobelle
10-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Textile tramp.

Jeannie Fitzgerald
10-29-2003, 11:54 PM
Material Mother?

'Nise
10-30-2003, 12:02 AM
sewing slut
Love
'Nise
PS wow I think this is my hundredth post!

Alianne
11-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Textile tramp.

Textile Trollop.

Now me, I'm not a fabric whore...but I certainly am a garb whore.

I just give others money to buy fabric or buy fabric for specific pieces of garb and let others sew it....right, Nikki? Rhoda? Andrea? :) :) :roll:

Does that make me a Textile Trollop by Proxy? ;)

I do need to buy more plastic tubs for garb, though (after buying three new ones this summer) -- the boys have now graduated to each having a tub of their own...plus my rolling drawer cart just for accessories.....

I'm sooooo glad that the former owner of my new house put an area in the basement with hanging rods with shelving on top and lots of room below -- right by the washer and dryer. It's the new Garb Central! It's going to be *faaaaaabulous*!

Ysobelle
11-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Textile tramp.

Textile Trollop.

Now me, I'm not a fabric whore...but I certainly am a garb whore.

I just give others money to buy fabric or buy fabric for specific pieces of garb and let others sew it....right, Nikki? Rhoda? Andrea? :) :) :roll:

I'm so here for you, baby. When do we get started? Leah? Rhoda? Anyone else?

Sartorial sluts!

Mistress Morigianna
11-16-2003, 03:29 AM
I was a fabric whore but now, now i am a Trim slut!
:lol:
Warning NEVER work for a company as the buyer for the fabric & trim dept if you have this afflection......
The orders come to the store.... one for the floor, one for me, one for the floor, ..oh oh this is purple, this whole bolt is mine! (none for the floor).....
LOL

I figured out the square footage of my 960' apt and took 20 % off my taxes as business ( mostly for storage) I didn't think they would go for more even though I can prove it. 1 bedroom is all fabric/trims/buttons with a small strip for the sewing machine/ironing board. 1/2 the bedroom is fabric. did you know that a dining room sideboard will hold alot of fabric rolls and the drawers are perfect for notions.... (dishes are in storage)
the living room has a 6 by 4 foot pile to the celing that has a chair underit somewhere. And not least is the sewing area at work where i keep all my patterns ( bought 3 pattern cabinets when HOF went under)and the "big" rolls.......

I made my mother swear if i died she would have another seamstress divy up my rooms so it would go to the right places.....(can't see the pre-pearled hand dyed 60.00 a yard green silk going to good will....)

what is scary is i am going on another shopping trip for the store again soon.... any requests???
heheheheeheheheh