PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for Snipe!

Calimaryn
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Snipe you awesome webmistress you!

I have a quick question that has been bouncing about my noggin for some time. Could the boards be made private? I dont mean to be uber exclusive or anything but to prevent non IWG people from 'stalking' others or pulling stuff up via google.

Sure having a public board would be helpful to chat with everyone but once people are introduced they could then get access to the hidden boards. It would be more work, I know, I have a board of my own that does this. But it may help our sister wenches by keeping things private.

Just an idea!
Thanks for all your time and hard work,
~Cali

Selena
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I remember asking that very question when I first began posting to this forum. Don't remember exactly why, but I was told no, we couldn't make it private.

Perhaps this can change?

Hi Snipe you awesome webmistress you!

I have a quick question that has been bouncing about my noggin for some time. Could the boards be made private? I dont mean to be uber exclusive or anything but to prevent non IWG people from 'stalking' others or pulling stuff up via google.

Sure having a public board would be helpful to chat with everyone but once people are introduced they could then get access to the hidden boards. It would be more work, I know, I have a board of my own that does this. But it may help our sister wenches by keeping things private.

Just an idea!
Thanks for all your time and hard work,
~Cali

webmistress
03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
What exactly would the criteria for admittance be? We already limit posting to register members, and registered members already have to be manually confirmed before they can post. Are you suggesting turning all of the forums over into an admittance only format? Or just creating one for that?

MaidenFaeSnow
03-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I've been to a few forums where until you join, you only see a handful of the forums topic areas containing threads. As soon as you are a member, you have access to the rest.

The problem here though, is it won't stop people from stalking if they want to. They can still join and just Lurk and on most forums you can hide your online status so even if you find out their identity they could still be there and you won't know it. Therefore, it seems it would be a lot of work to go through if this is the only purpose.

You can't post unless you are a member but you can see everything. I can therefore agree with maybe an area where only those who have passed the 'bar' can view threads as it is slightly more private. Some slimeballs won't try to join.

Tink
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Maybe I'm wrong seeing as how I'm not a web designer, BUT it seems to me that something like what's being asked for here would be A LOT of work for Snipe and seeing as how she runs this board out of the kindness of her heart and she receives no pay (that's what her full time job is for :wink: ) she doesn't have the time to do such things. Unless of course, she doesn't ever want to sleep or have a social life.

I think if someone wants to find you on the net, they will. It's a very public place no matter how private or secure you think the sites you use are.

Now given some of our past problem children...like that cleavage photo taking asshat from 2 seasons ago...if someone poses a big enough problem, we do know people who CAN track the person's true identity down and that usually scares them off, BUT they *can* come back again and lurk. It's rather hard to prevent that unless someone takes the time to track *every* new person who joins this site. What a pain in the ass THAT would be.

Anyway, I'm sure there are ways to do such things, I'm just not sure the time and/or money it takes is feasible on a site like ours.

Calimaryn
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
What exactly would the criteria for admittance be? We already limit posting to register members, and registered members already have to be manually confirmed before they can post. Are you suggesting turning all of the forums over into an admittance only format? Or just creating one for that?

Honestly I do not know the capabilities of vBulletin, but on phpBB you can make forums Registered{Hidden} that do not show up unless you are registered and given permission for that board. This makes it not show up on Google from what I have researched on my own board.

I know its a lot of work but perhaps volunteers could help out with the bulk of it?

Of course I think you should also have a nice little paypal donation button for the care and maintenance of the boards but thats just my willingness to donate speaking!