PDA

View Full Version : Your Traditions-- Samhain

emalia
10-27-2003, 10:40 AM
As it is the time to share the bounty of harvest, and great the New Year, i have been thinking much upon traditions old and new.

I am most pleased and excited that I atually get to go home this year for Samhain. I will be enjoying my evening surrounded by fambly and friends to celebrate. We will have approximately 20 or so people at my friends house for dinner, share company. This is my first Samhain home in 5 years, and am extremely excited about it. We plan on having some traditional Irish food as well as some harvest themed foods. We will also then place some of the favorite foods out in the field to remember those that have passed. I will share some Glayva for Rich. I am also sure that we will have a bonfire of sorts as well.

Nevada
10-27-2003, 11:01 AM
We celebrate by turning our yard into a graveyard...trying to make it as much fun for everyone as possible..we host some of our friends and family and get them involved in the fun and have food and drink available after everyone has left Shadow and I have a private affirmation for those who have moved on and for the new year coming...

Lady Alasse
10-27-2003, 05:07 PM
We go trick or treating. Then we come home eat and I leave food out for those that have passed on. I leave it by our roses.

MisRed
10-28-2003, 02:20 PM
We will be having the usual "trick or treaters" in the neighborhood, and then having a "Silent Supper". 13 of us will be gathering in my dining room to remember those who have gone before.

I'm trying to take a 1/2 day at work so I can get the the Farmer's Market for Squash n' stuff. No bonfire, but we do what we can. :)

I /love/ Halloween... it's the only day of the year that the local kids /can't wait/ toget to our house :)

emalia
10-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I have just received part of the food menu, we are having Roast Beef with Currant Sauce. And I am making Scotch Broth..

Nevada
10-28-2003, 03:31 PM
We are going to do fun finger foods for the kids ie pizza rolls etc...caffeine free cocoa when they get back in to warm them up and Shadow and I will do cornbread and meat for our own private celebration...beer of course for him and the guys :roll:

Kiji
10-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Could one of you girls expalin this to newbie in this stuff?

Thanks
Kiji

MisRed
10-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Samhain is for many pagan/wiccan/witches (choose your favorite) at time for us to turn our thoughts towards the shadowlands. We celebrate the lives of those "who have gone before", the end of "things" (relationships, habits, unhealthy things), and the darkest times of the year.

Not dark as in "bad, bad ohh so bad" but rather shorter days, longer nights, reasons to stay in and celebrate ourselves and our families without the distractions of "outside". This is the prime time for many of us to reflect on the changes we wish to make within ourselves, really take the time to study, plan for the days of light that will be coming.

You can check Witchvox for Peg Aoli's article "You Call It Halloween - We Call It Samhain" It's listed with several others on their main page.

emalia
10-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Very well put MisRed. I have been trying to reply to her, but haven't been able to put things together well.

It is also a time to celebrate the end of harvest, to give thanks to the earth for the harvest and to enjoy the bounty of it, together. In many areas, and in many times, it was also the last time of the year in which to safely travel due to weather conditions.

I am celebrating Samhain at home this year for the first time in 5 years. I am celebrating with what I refer to as my Fambly, or chosen family. Not all members of my fambly will be there, but the core of them will be.

Nevada
10-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Its also the Celtic New Year... as mentioned..perfect time for reflection and cleaning out of stuff ::grumble:: including physical closets....we offer food and drink to our foreparents and the Gods...Me and mine choose to celebrate by making it fun for the kids in the area...

Kristianne the MerWench
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Well, I dress up every year, 'cause hey, fun costumes! I do the trick or treater thing, decorate the house if I have time. After that I usually cook some traditional harvest foods- usually a pork roast and some root vegetables and squash, baked apples for dessert. I leave some out for those who've passed, along with some candles to light their way. I usually do my little ritual too, and just meditate and commune.

Next year, since Hallowe'en in on a Saturday, I want to have my friends over for my first Dumb Supper. None of them are pagan like I'm pagan, but I've got two agnostics, an open minded Catholic, an open minded Epsicopalian, and a Buddhist who I think would be into it.

jmthane
10-30-2003, 03:39 PM
I have just received part of the food menu, we are having Roast Beef with Currant Sauce. And I am making Scotch Broth..

Make sure you put enough Scotch in. :wink:

This year, the Eclectic Public Ritual group I am a part of is celebrating Samhain on Saturday - we do all of the Sabbats on Saturdays, in fact - where starting at noon our "craft" is to make soup (the "craft" portion is why we do all Sabbats on Saturdays). Samhain is the last harvest, where things are made and "put by" to help get through the upcoming long cold winter where nothing grows and everyone has to forage for food. (OK, we don't have to do that in modern times, but you get the idea...) So we make various soup, enough for 8-10 servings each, and split it up - dish it up into freezer bags, freeze it, and when you want some later, pull it out, heat it up, and eat it. Then we do a potluck (which I hope will contain other food besides soup), have a before-ritual group circle to catch up on what's gone on since we saw each other last, discuss briefly what the season means and what we're doing in ritual, then we have ritual where we "pierce the veil" and celebrate those who have passed on in the past year.

And this group is open to all comers in Chicago area, so if you're interested, get in touch with me.

arianne
10-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Just a quick note to Kristianne--next year Halloween will be a Sunday, because of the leap year...we in Salem keep track of these things because of the insane influx of people, especially this year with it being a Friday! :star:

Kristianne the MerWench
10-31-2003, 01:27 PM
Just a quick note to Kristianne--next year Halloween will be a Sunday, because of the leap year...we in Salem keep track of these things because of the insane influx of people, especially this year with it being a Friday! :star:

Whoops! You're right :oops: Still, Sunday works too. As long as I don't have to work that day :)

Entropy
11-01-2003, 10:39 AM

I went to Salem last year in May and met some very lovely people. I have to tell you that every single new person I met eventually cautioned me NOT to try to come in October. Arianne, my heart goes out to you for living in such a popular place.

Ysobelle
11-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Do you ever get nuts up there just to try and convert you terrible heathens?

arianne
11-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Ah yes, the nuts...there were plenty last night. This was our second Halloween here in Salem and after this year, I doubt we'll venture downtown anymore for the night--I'd much rather stay home and do our own ritualy things, though with the screaming drunks outside the house it might be difficult. Anyway, the "highlight" downtown last night (ie, where the biggest crowds were) was the born-again Christians spouting with microphones and signs saving "Trick (go to hell) or treat (go to heaven)" and "Jesus lives" etc, and their associates who walked around handing out fliers saying "Jesus Saves". To be honest, I would have liked to hear a regular DISCUSSION between these people and some of the Pagan folks who were there, but it's hard to hear anything. One of the born-agains was sort of the pacifist, who kept saying things (about Muslims, lesbians, etc) that would create just an audible gasp in the crowd and they'd sort of move at him, but he kept trying to retalk himself into different topics. His line was "I don't want you all to go to hell that's why I'm here." The other guy who came later and stole the first guy's crowd was more aggressive and inspired several large guys to come right up in his face to argue. When we thought there really was going to be a fight breaking out, we decided to get out of there. I just can't understand why the born-again guys would put themselves through that...I highly doubt ANYONE on Halloween in Salem comes up to them and says "Oh man you're right, I want to be saved because of your brawl with the 'heathens'!" I thought Salem would be better for Pagans, but really, it seems a lot more difficult to practice on your own (mostly on Halloween). Ah...

Ysobelle
11-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I just can't understand why the born-again guys would put themselves through that...

Same reason the Southern Baptist Convention decided to "target" us during the High Holidays. The greater the glory, I think, going into the lion's den.

Nevada
11-03-2003, 03:28 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a lady who tried to convert me..when I asked what her definition of a pagan was she said any religion that isnt christian...I verified if you werent christian then you would go to hell...she agreed...I pointed out that Jesus was a pagan then by her definition as he was Jewish...not christian...when she began to argue I walked her over to the bible section (working in a bookstore then) had her pull out the bible she used daily and flipped to the sections that stated Jesus was King of the Jews...explained the christian sect was a splinter of the original Jewish faith....was interesting...she couldnt argue with me any longer...I pointed out that I may no longer worship a christian faith..it didnt mean I was stupid or hadnt spent MANY years in bible study and youth groups as a kid and young adult

Thomas
11-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Well at least she was close. My dictionary defines pagan as "(a) Formerly, a person who is not Christian; (b) now a person who is not Christian, Jewish, or Moslem." I have has many people give one word answers: "Witches" "Warlocks" and my favorite. "Daemons," Then was a lady who answered "What the word means doesn't matter it is all evil..." and "...words can be twisted by the vile..." My responce was words can be twisted by anybody and that good and evil is perspective. Many of the Amazonian tribes stayed alive by cannibalism (I am not condoning or condemning) War and Raids. It wasn't until they were "saved" that the balance of their societies crumbled and they were almost totally wiped out.

Avhiennda
11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
For Samhain, my temple hosts a large Ancestral Silent Supper. For $45 its all the food and drink you want, as well as renting the place to hold it/cater it.

We hold a WONDERFUL Silent Supper Ritual at that time, complete with an ancestral altar, and a Drawing Down of the Goddess. What warms my heart, however, is not just that the place was packed to capacity and they were all RSVPs, but WHO these people were.

They were elders of our tradition and direct lineage -- we are talking decades worth! -- Right down to the Mother of our Tradition herself, who began our tradition 30 years ago.

To see them, be able to interact with them and to share in the ritual with the past, present and future of our tradition and our temple...it was simply amazing.

Samhain itself was fun and reflective for me. I didn't do anything but go home. I watched my favorite movie, Hocus Pocus. Forget that its a stereotypical movie...its FUN! And the colors were magnificent! And Sarah, Bette and Kathy gave marvelous performances!

Then just before midnight I honored my loved ones who had gone before me....then went promptly to sleep, because I was suddenly extremely sleepy and realized that's how i'd be talking to them for that evening.

Sunday was the Witches Ball. Fun Fun Fun and the midnight ritual was so powerful I vaguely remember parts of it. Other parts I can't recall at all.

As far as the definition of Pagan....seems most people I talk to hear 'Athiest' when I say "Pagan". Sheesh.