PDA

View Full Version : To pattern or not to pattern

Beatriz
02-05-2003, 04:38 PM
I need some advice.

I want to make a chemise out of some very cool (and costly) fabric I've found. Because I don't want to ruin or waste it, I'm trying to decide if it's better to make the chemise from a store-bought pattern or follow the directions from Lara's site (or one of the other seems-easy websites)

I'm a sewing novice. To date, all I have made are a gored skirt from Lara's site and a circle skirt with a pattern. I'm sorta scared of tackling this chemise since the last time I tried to make one I ended up sewing the sleeve to the body of the garment. THREE times. Then I gave up.

thanks!

Ysobelle
02-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Okay, so here's my two cents: make a mock-up first.

Get some muslin or an old sheet and hack away fearlessly. Not only will you not be using the fabric that makes you shiver, but you'll get some practice in AND a spare chemise out.

I've had two years of graduate training and beacoup on-the-job experience, but I won't make anything complicated without doing a muslin mock-up (also called a toile, BTW) first.

Bean
02-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Ysobelle you should be called the seamstress goddess!! :bow: Can't wait to come out and pick your brains in March (if that's still on.....)!

Betsy

Ysobelle
02-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Ysobelle you should be called the seamstress goddess!! :bow: Can't wait to come out and pick your brains in March (if that's still on.....)!

Betsy

Oh, yes, it's definitely on. All are welcome. I might even have my serger back from my mom by then-- if, of course, she's gotten over her fear of a sewing machine that cuts things, too.

And with everyone sewing around me, I might even get part of my new corset done, too!

vanessa
02-05-2003, 09:10 PM
I have to completely agree with Ysobelle! I've been sewing for, oh, um... MANY years now and while I will many times start a new pattern or project without making a mockup, I will NEVER do that if I'm working with something I have in either limited amounts or in a costly fabric.... after all, it never matters how long you've been sewing, there are always accidents!

If you have had luck with Lara's patterns before, then make your mock up using her pattern and see how you like it. As it looks like you have already found out, Lara's patterns are good for novices! :smile:

Mairi the Herbwench
02-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Adding my voice to the gathered wisdom - make a mock up. Make a couple, just to get the hang of making chemises, before you cut into your expensive fabric. One can never have enough chemises!