PDA

View Full Version : Chemise sleeve?

Beatriz
02-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Another question regarding chemises.

I've got some really cool spider web fabric, but only enough to make sleeves of a chemise. Does anyone have any experience with making the sleeves out of one fabric and the body of the chemise out of another? Since only the sleeves and a small bit of the fabric at the neckline show, would a matching fabric look okay, or would it just look dumb?

Thanks, sistahs!

Ysobelle
02-05-2003, 06:11 PM
I'd suggest getting a fabric that maybe matches the background of the patterned fabricor one of its main or accent colours, and I don't think that'd look odd at all. Sometimes folks do that on purpose, especially if it's a busy pattern and you don't want that much busy-ness near your face.

One thing I do when I do chemises is run a satin ribbon on the outside, about an inch below the top edge, and sew it down along both edges. Then I run elastic under the ribbon. You can add a little bow in the front to make it look more like a drawstring. Check my website-- you can see what I mean in the first picture-- the green and black chemise. The advantage for you is that if you pick a ribbon that matches the sleeves and the body, it'll tie the two together visually.

Or no-- it's up to you! But I don't think you'll look odd at all.

Beatriz
02-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Ysobelle,

Thanks for the advice!! I took a look at the website and the photo is stunning!!

But, because I am suuuuch a gooberfish, you said you run a piece of elastic beneath the ribbon. Is that in addition to, or instead of the elastic, drawstring, ribbon or whatever that runs at the top of the chemise? Or is it that I misunderstood what you said and you put the ribbon in the place where traditionally the elastic/drawstring is put on the chemise?

Sorry for being dense. Thanks in advance.

Bonnie
02-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Melissa, dahlink, I think, without looking at the picture, that what she's talking about is using the ribbon to form the CHANNEL that the elastic runs through. I do it on all the chemises I make...not across the neckline, though...I think I'll try that. :) I do that on the sleeves mostly....and on the legs of my bloomers....

Beatriz
02-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Channels?! That's exactly the word I was looking for but couldn't find. I believe you're exactly correct, Bonnie, but considering how dense I can be sometimes. . . thought it was better to check. :bow:

Hey, I don't have to be smart. I'm pretty! ~cackles like a deranged ferret and races back to her sewing machine~

Ysobelle
02-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Yupyup! That's exactly what I meant. The ribbon becomes a channel or, if you will, a casing. Another note I should have added is that where you first start to sew the ribbon down, fold it under a little. Sew it allllll the way around the top of the chemise (this works for sleeves, too), and when you come back to where you started, where the ribbons will meet, fold the other end under a little, too. It doesn't matter if there's a slight gap. Make sure you sew down the edges you've folded under, under the ribbon. Sew them down along the edges, I mean, under the rest of the ribbon, not along the folded part. That has to remain open for the elastic to go under. Why do you fold them? Because satin ribbon will unravel and fray when you wash it. Folding it under keeps the raw edges hidden, and less exposed to wear. Now, in the gap between the two ends of the bribbon you've just sewn down, insert the big ol' safety pin you've pinned to the end of your elastic, which you've already measured, but left a few extra inches on. (Or use a threader, if you've gotten one.) Work most of your elastic through, but before you get too far, pin the other end VERY SECURELY right near that gap. If you don't pin it securely, have a LOT of quarters handly to throw in your swear jar.

Why leave a few extra inches on the elastic? Cos what feels about right around your shoulders before you thread it doesn't take into account how it's going to feel once it's threaded through alllll that material. So leave some wiggle room. Once you're happy, sew the elastic ends together. Overlap them so that the seam is smooth, to slide around under the casing. It'll feel better when you're wearing it. And remember the gap between the ribbon ends? It will most likely all but disappear once the material gathers over the tightened elastic.

Man, I REALLY hope that made sense. Let me know if it doesn't!

Bonnie
02-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Perfect sense, my muse, and exactly how I do my casings (which is the word *I* was trying to think of, and couldn't, so used channels instead)

Beatriz
02-07-2003, 07:54 AM
It sounds like a major pain to fold the ribbon over. I'm having nightmares about keeping it straight. What about using double fold bias tape? It comes in lots of colors and widths.

Bonnie
02-07-2003, 08:34 AM
it's not at all difficult, sweetie.....I looked at her picture, just to be sure I knew what she was talking about and it's simple. just fold the raw edges of the neckline over and then under about a 1/4 inch, and press it well. sew that down. about an inch or so below(measure and mark that point all round the neck...every couple of inches.) the new, improved neckline pin the ribbon down to the fabric. PIN it....makes it much easier to mess with until you get used to handling the task.

the only folding you have to do is at the end....just fold under about a quarter of an inch...maybe a half an inch....it's really simple, and clear as a bell once you're into the process....it's like "well of COURSE I'm turning it under....jeesh!"

and like she said, sew the top line of the ribbon, and then sew along the bottom.

use the 1/2 inch ribbon for the most part.

it really is such a nice touch, melissa, give it a try.

Bonnie
02-07-2003, 08:37 AM
PS...the bias tape is handy, but you'd still have the problem with having to tuck the ends under. besides, bias tape isn't really as PRETTY as a fine satin ribbon, now is it? I only use it on the inside of my things....although I suppose it could be used outside....

Ysobelle
02-07-2003, 10:33 AM
The casing is made in the space between the ribbon and the body of the chemise-- sorry, I should have said that! It's always hard to know whether someone else is seeing what you're describing.

One other suggestion I'd make is to maybe start with 1-inch ribbon. It's a little bit easier to work with when it's wider. And you're going to stitch it down as close to the top and bottom edge as you can. Also, if trying to fold under the ribbon is making you nuts, then just cut it and put some Fray-Chek on the edges and don't worry about folding it under. Don't make yourself crazy over the details yet. That comes later, when you've decided to try the Elizabethan Court gown with the hand-sewn seed pearls and the cabochon garnets. Muhahahahahahha!