PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with a decision to make today.

Ysobelle
11-04-2003, 03:48 PM
From, of all places, the Hawaii State teachers Association page (italics mine):

Get out and vote!
On TV's The West Wing, White House Press Secretary CJ Cregg tells young people why they should get out and vote this November.

"Twenty-five years ago, half of all 18- to 24-year olds voted. Today it is 25 percent.

"Eighteen- to 24-year-olds represent 33 percent of the population but only account for 7 percent of the voters.

"Think government isn't about you?

"How many of you have student loans to pay? How many have credit card debt? How many want clean air and clean water and civil liberties? How many want jobs? How many want kids? How many want their kids to go to good schools and walk on safe streets?

"Decisions are made by those who show up.

You gotta rock the vote."

Mairi the Herbwench
11-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Actually, based on several past elections, decisions are made by those that don't show up... And if they do show up, they vote for the flashiest candidate. That's how Minnesnowta got Jesse! And yes, I vote, and I'm voting today after work. If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Saucy Ria
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
On my way out to vote right now. I don't recall ever missing a year since i was 18.

Ysobelle
11-04-2003, 05:28 PM
I loathe Street, but I'm a hardcore Democrat, and I loathe Bush even more.

I am in hell right now. Hell, I say.

Ysobelle
11-05-2003, 07:35 AM
So it took me the better part of two hours to cast my vote yesterday-- polls closed at 8, but I didn't actually cast my vote until after 9. I didn't mind, though-- everyone was so very nice there, both the people waiting and the polling place volunteers.

And no one tried to attack me or beat me with a board, so, hey, I did better than some folks in Philly!

Bonnie
11-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Since I am informationally challenged, what happened in Philly that caused you to say that? :?:

Caitriona
11-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Bonnie - we had cat fights going on between the Katz and Street supporters.

Ysobelle - It's over..... And that's all I'm going to say.

I'm still doing my own happy dance- I'm very happy with the way the mayoral election turned out in my home town (where all my family still lives). The loser is whining (I know him and his wife personally ) that he wants a recount. He lost by 36 votes.

Ysobelle
11-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Bonnie - we had cat fights going on between the Katz and Street supporters.

Ysobelle - It's over..... And that's all I'm going to say.

I'm still doing my own happy dance- I'm very happy with the way the mayoral election turned out in my home town (where all my family still lives). The loser is whining (I know him and his wife personally ) that he wants a recount. He lost by 36 votes.

Whoa. Where on earth is that? And in't a recount mandated when it's that close, anyway?

I'm not entirely happy with the way it turned out, I have to say-- I dislike Street, as I said-- but at least he's a Democrat.

We'll see what happens over the next four years, then, I suppose. I hope he got the message that Philadelphians are looking for a little more vision in their elected officials.

Caitriona
11-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Whoa. Where on earth is that? And in't a recount mandated when it's that close, anyway?

I'm not entirely happy with the way it turned out, I have to say-- I dislike Street, as I said-- but at least he's a Democrat.

We'll see what happens over the next four years, then, I suppose. I hope he got the message that Philadelphians are looking for a little more vision in their elected officials.

Easton. I too am a Dem. but in this case supported the Rep. The Dem I know too well (since I was 3). I don't think a recount is required. All together the total count is less then 2000 votes Maybe some one else can answer that... He wouldn't have made a good mayor. The Rep is an uncle of a JR high crush and a very old family in the town (like the oldest jeweler old)

I was really hoping katz would have won. Is it bad for me to hope that Street gets busted for something by the Feds?

I hate getting involved in politics sometimes

Ysobelle
11-05-2003, 03:02 PM
I was really hoping katz would have won. Is it bad for me to hope that Street gets busted for something by the Feds?

I hate getting involved in politics sometimes

No, it's not bad. Having an informed political opinion is never bad. I instituted a rule around here: no political debates without solid, verifiable information. No more throwing figures around without regard to truth. I think it's working. That plus we don't discuss politics any more.

Street has his nose down over the figures and has held this city in a slowly-declining spiral since he got into office, unlike his predecessor, Rendell, who brought us The Avenue of the Arts and a national profile. Street also has made several utterly deplorable racial remarks, and turned this race into a racial contest. I loathe that. So I hoped Kats would win, as well, though I'm not sure I'll admit that in my next Dem Meet-Up in a few weeks.