PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on how to induce labor...old wives tales, etc

Tink
02-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Weird post...I know.

But a co-worker here has a VERY pregnant sister who is due today, but hasn't gone into labor, water hasn't broke, etc.

She wants to bring her sister some stuff to comfort her and make her laugh...so I turn to you ladies.....

We're looking for old wives tales about how to induce labor...such as jumping up and down, foods to eat, etc.....

Ladye Robyne
02-06-2003, 05:32 PM
My first baby was extremely late...the little bugger just didn't want to leave the womb...My advice is Sex! it worked for me!!!! I've heard that even nipple stimulation works if you can't get the man to jump you in your extreme body shape.

Belladonna
02-06-2003, 06:08 PM
NIpple stimulation is also what they use in the hospital...

Hot tubs..though not hot...just the action of wate on the nipples will do. They used that to regulate my friends labor.

Some herbs will do it, though use with caution.

Bronya
02-06-2003, 06:22 PM
...my little turkey (Born on Thanksgiving) was 8 days late so we were going to wait till Fri, then induce. The Dr ran his finger around the cervix several times the week before and then on that Wed's visit. As I was going to pick up the then husband, my car broke down and was in the middle of nowhere and had to walk about 1.5 miles...went into labor that nite and had her the next day!!!! :lol:

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
02-06-2003, 06:43 PM
There's a place in (I think) Georgia that swears that their chili dogs induce labour. I've also been told that very spicy foods will do it as well. *shrugs* what the heck, it's worth a try.

cyd
02-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Supposedly, bringing a woman to orgasm can actually trigger it. But it's not something I'd know about, I've never been pregnant. ;)

Cyd

Alianne
02-06-2003, 09:21 PM
When I was overdue with my first, we took a *lot* of drives over very bumpy roads.

Didn't work.

Hubby had heard that orgasm would help induce labor...I was too awkward for intercourse, so he...um...snacked....a lot.

Didn't work either, but damn! It sure was fun trying! :bananada:

Alewyn of Aventinus
02-07-2003, 08:11 AM
I had a Bradley instructor who said castor oil works. I took only 1 T. on my due date and it gave me a screaming bout of the trots. I did go into labor the next day. Did it work? I dunno. All of the running to the toitie did keep my mind off being pregnant. Also, having an empty bowel is handy whilst squeezing the child out.

I wouldn't eat much before delivering. If you have a bad go of it and end up with lots of stitches, not having a pending BM is very nice. Getting up for the first pee [post catheter] is bad enough.

daBaroness
02-07-2003, 10:36 AM
There's a restaurant in New Jersey (I think) that swears it's eggplant parmagena is a guaranteed labor starter.

Other than that, a number of the suggestions here are what hospitals use to progress labor including LOTS of walking, nipple stimulation (gets the hormones going) and orgasm (contracts the uterus). Hot tubs are used more to soothe labor pains and relax the mom-to-be. A relaxed mom's labor will progress faster - so anything your friend's sister can do to relax would be a good thing.

Most women I know do best when they quit worrying about it - it's the stress and worry that inhibits labor. Easier said than done, but my advice is she might throw herself into something that takes her mind off labor - either something kinda physical like cleaning, exercise (mild - not running a marathon); or something fun and pampering - go to the salon and get a new hairdo, get a massage or a facial - a manicure or a pedicure or shop for something frivilous and fun. Go to a concert or a movie. Whatever it is - it's best if its something outside the house - nothing prolongs the misery like sitting inside and waiting ...

Babies come when they come ... some need prodding and others, like my kids need to be forced to stay in longer so they can finish baking :P If this is her first, not to worry - generally first babies are late and the labor longer (someone has to blaze the trail). It's my opinion the more an expectant mom can do to relax and progress her labor at home the easier it is on her and her baby. It's a lot nicer to walk around the block than to make endless trips up and down the labor and delivery hall at the hospital which is exactly what they'll have you doing.

So take her out to do something fun, make her laugh and help her to quit fretting - she'll be fine. Besides, once they're out - they're a whole lot more work! :wink:

daBaroness
Mother of two half-baked, anxious-to-see-the-world boys

Dmitri
02-07-2003, 11:20 AM
When the wife was pregnant, we were told, by the doctor that sex could induce labor. Something about semen and the effect on the mucous plug...

We tried... didn't work. As for uncomfortability? We worked that out... ;)

Tink
02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone....I have passed this info on to my co-worker.

Tink
02-11-2003, 09:30 PM
UPDATE:

She had her baby...a girl, Jaden...9lbs and 7 for the ounces, I believe.....via C-Section this morning...... :lol:

daBaroness
02-12-2003, 11:12 AM
9 lbs 6 oz?!!!!??? Sheesh - no wonder her labor wouldn't get going - that's a pretty good-sized baby! Extend mom, dad, and Jaden my best!

daBaroness

Dmitri
02-12-2003, 01:21 PM
9lbs 6oz... That's a big kid... Katya was 9lbs 15oz... and she should have been a c-section but wasn't... the wife still rolls her eyes at the sister-in-law who cries about how much the 6lbs 8oz baby hurt...