PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King cut scenes

Nevada
11-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Star axed from Rings film

CHRISTOPHER LEE has been dropped from the new Lord of the Rings film, he has confirmed.

The actor, who plays evil wizard Saruman, said he was "shocked" to learn that his scenes have been cut out of the movie. He had expected to play a pivotal role in the climax of the film, The Return of the King, which is due to be released next month.

But the 81-year-old star said his scenes have ended up on the cutting room floor. "I am very shocked," he said.

jmthane
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
A bit of a surprise, but Saruman's tale, as far as the films go, could be effectively ended with Two Towers when Isengard basically fell to the Ents onslaught. Peter J & Co. may have felt his scenes in RotK not pivotal enough for a three-hour film.

But I bet they (or at least some) make their way back in in the Extended DVD edition.

Isabelle Fawkes
11-14-2003, 05:22 PM
This does surprise me. To date there has only been small changes to the story line from Tolkiens books.

In the book Saruman shows up twice. At the very beginning (with his confrontation with Gandalf) and the very end (in the Shire). So this does make me wonder how they will end this saga.

gardo
11-14-2003, 05:53 PM
This does surprise me. To date there has only been small changes to the story line from Tolkiens books.

In the book Saruman shows up twice. At the very beginning (with his confrontation with Gandalf) and the very end (in the Shire). So this does make me wonder how they will end this saga.

Did ya forget the 2nd book? Saruman is in Majorly in the first half of the Two Towers. As for Return of the King it will be interesting to see what they did to the movie

Lady Alasse
11-14-2003, 06:36 PM
I wonder how they are going to get Pippin to have the Palatinr as he gets it in Isengurd. Oh well I have faith that it will be better then TTT. :crosses fingers:

Isabelle Fawkes
11-14-2003, 06:46 PM

Did ya forget the 2nd book? Saruman is in Majorly in the first half of the Two Towers. As for Return of the King it will be interesting to see what they did to the movie

Sorry, I was referring to Book Three, where Saruman only has a small (but major) role to play.

justLori
11-17-2003, 11:24 AM

They completely eliminated Tom Bombadil (and the hobbit fight with an insane tree) from Book 1. In book 2, the TREES, not their Ent shepherds, were the ones to destroy the Orcs at Saruman's tower. And save the humans from the siege. You also do not hear about their search for the females of their line--and the sadness of that dying people. These would have made the Ent protrayal much richer.

There have been some definite changes to the story.

just Lori
(and my opinions.)