View Full Version : Breastfeeding

Alewyn of Aventinus
02-07-2003, 11:48 AM
For all who are interested in breastfeeding issues, the Charlotte Observer had an interesting article -

I find it interesting that the women interviewed for this article are all from Michigan, my home state. My family & I went to the MI faire, this past labor day. It was hot and my then two-year-old didn't want to wear the beautiful dress I labored 30+ hours to make; so she spent the day in nothing but her diaper. A number of people found it their business to say something. I ignored them. When security asked me to dress her I tried but she got very upset and began to cry. So we nursed on the edge of the stage [at the Guiness Pub] and everyone left us alone after that. Guess they weren't sure what we would do next. On other visits to MI, I was also asked twice at restaurants to breastfeed in the restroom. Showing those dorks my card with a copy of the federal law allowing to me show my boobies to breastfeed in public, shut them up. In conservative NC, where I currently live, no one has ever said a word to about my child's attire or our breastfeeding in public. Makes me less homesick.

There is also a poll about breastfeeding in public

I have been breastfeeding my child for over three years, not because I want to, because she wants to. I believe in something called 'child led weaning'. That doesn't mean I plan to be bag lunch once she starts kindergarten. My daughter only nurses at to go to sleep at night, at 3 a.m. to keep me from a good night's sleep and when she wakes up. Exceptions are when she is upset or sick. Years ago where bottles and formula weren't available, the average weaning age was between 4 & 7 years so we aren't that weird.

I belong to an international organization, LaLeche League, that is a mother to mother support group for breastfeeding women and families. They have been a fabulous help to me and thousands of other women who want to breastfeed. LaLeche is usually the one behind all of the breastfeeding legislation and a major watchdog over the formula & babyfood manufacturers. The lady who was my mentor had breastfed for 19 years total, 7 children and 1 grandchild [part-time when mother was at work]. Maybe that sounds gross to some of you but it didn't bother me. I'm not a big joiner of groups but LaLeche & the Wenches Guild are both about women who aren't afraid to be different and stand up for their rights.

Off my soapbox [and off to FL tomorrow],

Mairi the Herbwench
02-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Another addendum - women who breast feed have a lower incidence of breast cancer, and the longer you feed, the lower your risk. My sister BF her two kids until they were about 3, and the kids were the ones who quit, not my sister. Go for it!

In Clann, we had a new mom who was BF her kid at an event, and was told to stop it. We're living history, portraying 17th century Scotland. Tell me they had bottles and formula back then. (I know they did, but only as a very last resort - not when mom was a DD cup full!) She just gave them a dirty look and went on with business. I always admired her for that!

02-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Personally, it DISGUSTS me when people think (or expect) mothers to breastfeed in restrooms. If I ever have kids and breastfeed, I'll tell them to go eat THEIR meal in there and see how they like it. :evil:

Good for you in standing up for this!

02-11-2003, 05:27 PM

The Detroit Free Press ran a similar article about breast feeding right about the same time the Charlotte Observer did theirs:

I read the letters to the editor about this (which came out the following Saturday) and all but one letter was in blazing support of breastfeeding in public. It's sad that you were given such a hard time in MI. It's sad how many people hold judgement on something that's been going on since the dawn of time.

Hopefully, these articles will help shed some light.

02-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Huh. I always thought that one breastfed until it became too painful (because of their teeth) and then stopped.

Is it really that painful? If it is, how do you minimize that?

Mairi the Herbwench
02-17-2003, 10:32 AM
My sister said the first time my nephew "tested his teeth" she smacked him (not hard) out of reflex, and he never repeated it. Did the same with my neice, and she was a quick learner too!

02-18-2003, 05:56 AM
So.... Breastfeeding is kind of like having a puppy or kitty for awhile? I always thought people where tounge in cheek when they would tell me things like that.