PDA

View Full Version : **WARNING** Possibly Offensive Rant...

Donnaccia
11-18-2003, 12:57 PM
I originally posted this in my LJ this morning, but I have been getting SO many positive reponsed for it's comedic value, I wanted to share with you all...Again, notice the words COMEDIC VALUE. If you're going to flame about me being insensitive, cynical, etc, etc, blah blah blah, stop reading here...quite frankly, I don't want to hear it...Remember--COMEDIC VALUE...

Pet Peeves, Part I

Standing on line at Dunkin Donuts this morning, all kinds of things began swimming through my head (it was a VERY long line).

Then I narrowed that HUGE list of EVERYTHING into a list of things that really annoy me, but probably SHOULDN'T...Yanno, things that a *normal* person would look at me and go, "Um, OK, so....?"

So this, ladies and gentlemens, is the beginnings of my List of Pet Peeves...

*drumroll*

Number 1:
When standing on a line, and the person in front of you moves, MOVE UP!! Don't stand there like you're waiting for space big enough to land a zeppelin...JUST. MOVE. UP. Besides, if you move up, it gets me closer to my coffee at Dunkin', and THAT, boys and girls, makes me happy.

Number 2:
Oh boy! It's near the holidays! I know what I'll do! Because I'm so INSANE, I'm going to DECORATE MY SUV! I'll put a KEE-YOOT little wreath on the grill of my Explorer...and, OH! And LIGHTS!! The wreath needs LIGHTS!! Wheee! Now I"m all festive! And when I'm driving my 3 kids plus the neighbors kids to their play-date, I'll swerve all over the road uncontrollably, cause, well, I might be festive, but I sure as hell don't know how to CONTROL this big thing. *giggle*

Oh, um, excuse me...FUCK YOU AND DIE, suburban retard. DIE!

Number 3:
Referring quickly back to Number 2...Play-dates. What the fuck is THIS now? When I was a kid, you went outside in the morning, banged on all your friends doors till you found one to make a mess with, and you didn't go home till it was dinner time. Do you SERIOUSLY mean to tell me that KIDs are so INCREIBLY busy, that they have to make APPOINTMENTS to hang out with other kids?!?! Am I the ONLY one who is bothered by this? I'm sorry, Billy is booked until 4pm, what with soccer, Pokemon, and taking his Ritalin.

Number 4:
Neil Young. I know, I know...seems simple, but he just popped on the radio, and it made me realize how much I think he's really not that good. At all. Ever. Bleargh.

Number 5:
people that type with no punctuation capitalization or sense of sentence structure it makes me sad and mad and really really insane i get emails like this from people i work with and i want to reach through the pc and shake them until their eyes fall out

Number 6:
People that arent naturally sarcastic, and try to be. Just stop it. Please. For the love of Christ, STOP IT.

Number 7:
Bosses that act all weird suddenly, and then insist NOTHING is wrong. Ooookayy...whatever. But you look like you need about 55 Xanax and a fifth of vodka. But that's just MY opinion--don't mind me, I'm just a temp.

Number 8:
People that go into a deluge of ailments when you ask (keeping in mind now, that you really DON'T CARE) "how are you?" I had a 15 minute conversation with one of the IT guys here about the cysts he recently had removed form the crack of his ass and how they affected the already ever-present hemmoroids he has. Wow. Really. That's fascinating. Thank. You. Very. Much. If you notice, my head is in my wastebasket. That would be becaue I'm THROWING UP YOU INCONSIDERATE ASSHAT.

Number 9:
Strangers that feel the need to butt into a conversation you are having with someone else. Case in point: I'm having an enjoyable breakfast with my boyfriend at the diner. We get into a conversation about going to Scotland for some reason. Boyfriend wonders out loud, to ME, "I wonder if just randomly wearing a kilt is offensive. I mean, I know they do it for ceremony and stuff, but if I go there, can I just wear a kilt all week? Cause frankly, I think I would enjoy the freedom of a kilt." Before I can answer, the guy sitting across from us (whom, by the way, has one of those Ritalin-needing rugrats LITERALLY climbing on his HEAD) butts in with, "Ahem. No, it's perfectly accpeted there. I've spent time in Scotland, and it's a lovely country blah blah blah blah..." I type blah blah blah, cause I tuned him out almost immediately, I was too intently staring at the kid who had managed to climb atop his father's head. I ended the interruption with, "Excuse me sir, you seem to have a child on your head. You might want to tend to him before he falls off AND CRACKS HIS SKULL ON THE FLOOR YOU IDIOT."

Number 10:
People that seemed to have done EVERYTHING you have, but BETTER. Or have gone everywhere you have, but managed to have a MUCH better time...Excuse me, fucktard--I wasn't aware your life was so much more exciting than mine. Hey, I have an idea...why don't you throw yourself out of a plane, with this parachute I have carefully prepared FOR you. Tell me all about it when they remove your full-body cast and you're out of traction.

**Part Deux, Coming Soon to a Board Near You!**

Tink
11-18-2003, 01:05 PM
My comments on just a few....

1....How about the people who do *that* in traffic. They stop 3 car lengths back from the red light, leave several car lengths in front of them in bumper to bumper traffic, etc. Must be the same type you had in front of you in DnD.

2....Don't get ME started on chicks in over-sized SUV's. I can write a book on the problem I have with it. FYI suburban asshats...they are NOT safer to drive. Oh...and then men in these things aren't much better...

3... I was set free after school to roam and play. My mom had better things to do than plan my play times. Fucking stupid. No wonder kids are such pretentious little shits nowadays...

4...I HATE Neil Young. He is FUCKING awful. Whoever allowed him to record, was stoned too. I cringe the minute he comes on the radio and switch the channel faster than light speed.

9....Me and a couple of co-workers had this happen at a diner we lunched at. Only it wasn't a guy across from us...it was our waiter. He wouldn't shut up. Every time he came to the table he felt the need to ask us what we were talking about and then he'd spend 10 minutes adding his 2 cents. AGGRAVATING.

Mairi the Herbwench
11-18-2003, 01:07 PM
addition to #5 - PEOPLE WHO IGNORE ALL THE RULES MENTIONED AND TYPE IN ALL CAPS

Athalia Jewel
11-18-2003, 01:23 PM
4. Unfortunately if I happen to be riding in the car with my hubby and a Neil Young song comes on the radio, I have to be subjected to his annoyingly awful caterwauling, cuz hubby likes his music.

emalia
11-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Addition to rants 1 and 2

What the fuck is it with little old fucking blue haird ladies and their damned land fucking yatchs!! I fucking hate blue hair sesason.. they should be huntable.. I live in the RETIREMENT FUCKING CAPLITOL of the US!

Donnaccia
11-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Addition to rants 1 and 2

What the fuck is it with little old fucking blue haird ladies and their damned land fucking yatchs!! I fucking hate blue hair sesason.. they should be huntable.. I live in the RETIREMENT FUCKING CAPLITOL of the US!
Ahhhh...a gal after my own heart...

I HEART you, Emalia!! :love:

:lol:

emalia
11-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Thank you.. thank you very much..

I mean who gives these asshats drivers lic. when they can't see over the fucking steering wheel for their tests...

Ysobelle
11-18-2003, 02:12 PM

I mean who gies these asshats dribers lic. when they can't see over the fucking steering wheel for their tests...

Spud used to call them Q-tips when we all lived down there. Florida may be G-d's waiting room, but Sarasota is the reception desk.

And my part of the pet peeve list? Spelling. Spelling, spelling, spelling. YES, IT COUNTS.

And I include in that people who don't know you're from your, it's from its, they're from their, and well from we'll.

I've just realised it's a measure of friendship for me in SOME cases. If you're a good friend, I'll overlook it. If you're a really, really good friend, I'll kick your ass. If you're family, I'll just cry. ALL of this goes out the window if I'm tired or cranky-- my level of apathy fluctuates daily. Oh-- I'll also abstain if I think it might make someone grumpy. I do know my limits in some cases.

Miatawolf
11-18-2003, 02:16 PM

I mean who gies these asshats dribers lic. when they can't see over the fucking steering wheel for their tests...

They should have a sign in the DMV in Florida "You must be this tall to drive this car."

One of my pet peeves in traffic is that asshat that just has to have to spot in front of you instead of behind you. Words to the asshat "Wow you are really moving up in the world aren't you, a whole fucking car length. You are so special. I bet you wear your helmet and pads to work."

emalia
11-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Spud used to call them Q-tips when we all lived down there. Florida may be G-d's waiting room, but Sarasota is the reception desk.

Yup.. The Q-Tip Blue hairs are back.. it must be November!!! If they ahve this much fucking trouble in FLORIDA how the hell do they drive int eh friggin snow!?!?!?!?!

Can't you tell that I had an incident this morning?

Mermaid
11-18-2003, 02:24 PM

And my part of the pet peeve list? Spelling. Spelling, spelling, spelling. YES, IT COUNTS.

And I include in that people who don't know you're from your, it's from its, they're from their, and well from we'll.

I've just realised it's a measure of friendship for me in SOME cases. If you're a good friend, I'll overlook it. If you're a really, really good friend, I'll kick your ass. If you're family, I'll just cry. ALL of this goes out the window if I'm tired or cranky-- my level of apathy fluctuates daily. Oh-- I'll also abstain if I think it might make someone grumpy. I do know my limits in some cases.

Add grammar to that spelling rant please! I AM or I'm , NOT I are or is! (among other things).

Oh--and people who insist on calling me by their own little pet nickname--when I am not their friend, little OR a pet. My name is Lisa, not Li-Li, and no one has EVER called me that nor should they, because if you call me that one more time after I've told you not to, I shall have to KILL you. (This does not include the approximately 10 people who call me Lise, because it's OK for them to use a nickname for me, coming from them it really is affectionate, etc)

Mermaid

keira strongbow
11-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Adding to the traffic rants...

You should come drive in Atlanta, GA! The Asshat-Driver Capitol of the World, I swear!

See that little stick behind the steering wheel near your left hand, Atlanta drivers? It's called a blinker and it lets other people know where the hell you're planning to go. USE IT!!! My husband has now taken it to 'honking' people who don't use their blinkers, even though I tell him it's probably going to get him beaten up one day. It honestly wouldn't be so bad save for the fact that most people will cut you off or pull into your lane with a fast jerk of the steering wheel, scaring the crap out of you.

My other rant about drivers here is about exiting the freeway. Hello, you've seen the signs for your exit for the past freakin' mile! Don't you dare pull the "Oh! I'm supposed to exit here?" routine and proceed to careen your car through 4 lanes of traffic at breakneck speeds just so you can make the exit. Ugh...

Guess I'm just all 'Driving Miss Daisy' now that I usually have a baby in the car, but come on, safety should be simple, guys!

Donnaccia
11-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Yay, gals!! Glad to see my idiot rants can open a dialog! Whee! :lol:

And to think...this SAME post has me on the verge of Flame-dom on the Rogues board... :hmm:

Hmm, I forgot to post the disclaimer in the beginning, perhaps THAT's it... :powpow:

emalia
11-18-2003, 03:09 PM
I understand that gripe as well.. I thought that they checked blinkers at the state boarder for Florida.. I think that the car companies made them optional for Florida Drivers, saved the a buck or two..

You know what else pisses me off.. What the fuck is the Left turn lane for? TO turn left correct?? FUCK NO!! These asshats need to suddenly turn RIGHT from the left turn lane and Left from the RIGHT turn lane..

And they wonder why Road Rage is so common.. it is because of stupid fucking people!!!

syndony
11-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Or people who pull out in front of you in their car really fast just to go really slow?
Or people who are standing in a long line for coffee, donuts or such and when they get to the register have no clue what they want? It's not like they didn't have time to decide.
Or the ones talking on their cell phones when it's time to order and they insist on finishing their conversation before ordering further holding up the line.
Or the people who drive with their stereos blaring and windows down? Like I really want to listen to what you call music. boom boom boom
People who let their kids run wild in public places. Teach your kids manners, I do. Or just ill-behaved kids in general and the parents who allow it.
I get annoyed w/ the SUV's and the land yachts. I can't see around them, so it isn't safer for me. Does that mean we're going to have to keep building bigger and bigger vehicles so we can see around each other. Where does it stop?
Syndony

emalia
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
People who let their kids run wild in public places. Teach your kids manners, I do. Or just ill-behaved kids in general and the parents who allow it.

Don't even get me started on kids.. Obnoxious little rats they are.. except mine of course (that is those that are near and dear to me, and those with well behaved children)

Just like the commercial about making brighter lights for your car.. So you can BLIND all the other people out on the road?? No thank you!!

justLori
11-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Adding to the traffic rants...

You should come drive in Atlanta, GA! The Asshat-Driver Capitol of the World, I swear!

See that little stick behind the steering wheel near your left hand, Atlanta drivers? It's called a blinker and it lets other people know where the hell you're planning to go. USE IT!!! My husband has now taken it to 'honking' people who don't use their blinkers, even though I tell him it's probably going to get him beaten up one day. It honestly wouldn't be so bad save for the fact that most people will cut you off or pull into your lane with a fast jerk of the steering wheel, scaring the crap out of you.

My other rant about drivers here is about exiting the freeway. Hello, you've seen the signs for your exit for the past freakin' mile! Don't you dare pull the "Oh! I'm supposed to exit here?" routine and proceed to careen your car through 4 lanes of traffic at breakneck speeds just so you can make the exit. Ugh...

Guess I'm just all 'Driving Miss Daisy' now that I usually have a baby in the car, but come on, safety should be simple, guys!

I've driven Atlanta traffic--it is scary. And that little stick isn't a new feature, my friends. But I swear some of the people who drive high-end cars around here think that it is somehting "ordinary" people use. Sigh.

And our old people in MD have a general time when they are out--I first noticed it while in college, and it seems to have held true. 10 to 2 is Elderly Time on the roads. And although I'll probably go to hell for it, I will occasionally chastize the ones out a bit after that. The ones in front of me as I try to race back to work. Going 10 under the speed limit. From the safety of my own car. :lol:

just Lori

emalia
11-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Another one I just thoguht of..
What the h-e double toothpicks is with the DVD rear view being offered on some new vehicles??

What you can't figure out how to back in properly so you need a friggin video camera to do it for you?? HELLO!! What happened to DRIVING!?!?!?! It used to be an interactive sport, not a spectator sport!

Or is it so you can get so FUCKING CLOSE to the front of my car that I can' go anywhere until you decide to get your pansy ass down to your car and leave so that I may do the same???

AllieSutherland
11-18-2003, 03:30 PM
OFFICIALLY, THE MOST SCARY THING THAT EXISTS ON THE ROAD TODAY:

(true story)

When I was driving back to my sister's house in Toledo from the MiRF this past season, I was in Detroit on I-75, just after the exit for Windsor, Ontario.

The guy in the left lane was driving extra, extra long Old Pimp Car from the late 70's. It was a convertible, and he and his girl were in the front seat.

The visors were down, and THE THE VISORS on both sides were installed tiny black and white TV's. THEY WERE WATCHING TV, BOTH OF THEM.

THE DRIVER'S EYES WERE ON HIS TV!!!

When I beeped at them, I got the middle finger.

I would have got his plate number, but I sped away too fast in order to get the hell away from anywhere near Mr. Wreck-in-Waiting.

DVD's in the van or SUV... bad enough, but this is a whole new level.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mairi the Herbwench
11-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Minnesnowta is also known for it's bad drivers. My theory is that Minnesotans are inherently afraid of water - if they drive over a river, they have to slow down. If they drive by a lake, they have to slow down. (Keep in mind that at last count, there's about 14,000 lakes here...) If it rains, they have to slow down. BUT... If it snows, because snow is frozen it's not really water - they HAVE TO SPEED UP!!!!

I want mounted lasers on my car...

daBaroness
11-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Donnaccia - you're a goddess! May I list some of my pet peeves here as well? Of course I'm delighted to see many of them already listed - we truly are sisters my dears ... truly!

Spelling - absolutely! Now I'll admit I'm really anal retentive about grammar and spelling, but it's my job, dammit! I don't know whether the edumacation I got in Michigan in the 60s and 70s was so much better, or if being the genius child I am makes the difference (insert haughty, naughty grin here) ... but ever since I moved to Kansas City in 1979, I've always been mortified, horrifed, and just plain dumbstruck by the grammatical and spelling ineptitude of the folks 'round here.

Syntax - it ain't just the spellin' dats bad! Folks 'round here have a difficult time speaking in proper, well-constructed sentences, too. "We was going down to the store, y'all wanna come?" "I seed/seen the whole thing happen in fronta me!" - seed and seen SEEM to be interchangeable. I just cringe when I hear a good many people here speak - even the college-edumacated ones mix singular and plural forms and past, present and future tenses ... AARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Where'd you get your license, a box of Cracker Jacks? Jimminy H. Christmas on a crutch - someone tell the car manufacturers we don't need no stinkin' turn signals 'round here - ussens likes to make the other drivers guess what we're a-gonna do. We also enjoy playing high-speed chicken cuz we jus knows dat iffn we cuts off da guy in fronna us, weeze a-gonna git thar a whole lot sooner. Oh - and please don't get me started about boogan rednecks in barely running pick-up trucks and the Johnson County (yuppieville) matrons driving Cadillac and Mercedes SUVs. I mean, c'mon - SUVs are already overpriced weapons of mass destruction and now we have to have the luxury car companies making them, too? Hey - order me a Mercedes SUV with Chinchilla ass-warming seats and Perrier for the windshield washers.

Oh - and two more things that just don't mix .... Hummers and Yuppie Females. Fuck me silly, Muffy behind the wheel of a military assault vehicle? Oh - excuuuuuuse me - Dulce and Gabbana must be having a sale!

Momentarily blind - you know the type - people who see you approaching the elevator, but pretend they're sightless as the door slams together, dragging your coat with it? Or how 'bout the fabulously chivalrous ones who see your arms full of packages, headed for the exit door at the department store - and instead of holding it open two seconds longer, they let it swing, knocking you to the ground and sending your packages flying in 20 different directions? Oh - and here's one I never have figured out ... lots of people held doors for me when I was pregnant ... but let me be pushing a stroller, toting all the baby accoutrements and trying to keep track of another child and THEN see who holds the door!

People in customer-service oriented jobs (anything from fast food to retail clerks to those we have to deal with on the phone) who act like they're doing you a huge favor by waiting on you. Sure, we all have bad days, but that doesn't give them the right to take it out on their customers. And here's a clue for the 20-year-old high-school dropout working the counter at the burger joint ... "no, you're not too good for this. You're uneducated, unmotivated, stupid, rude and clueless. If you'd shown the least little bit of motivation or intelligence, you'd have finished high school and done something towards building a real future."

Well, this is getting long so I'll end. But rest assured, when I think about it (which I try not to do too often because it makes my brain hurt), there are a number of little annoyances that are fun to bitch about because I can't really affect a change. Thanks for the opportunity to rant!

dB

Donnaccia
11-18-2003, 04:12 PM
EXACTLY, Baronness! :bow:

It's the fact that NOTHING can be done that makes the original post kind of humorous.

Too bad others seem to be losing their senses of humor... *shrug*

jmthane
11-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Yup.. The Q-Tip Blue hairs are back.. it must be November!!! If they ahve this much fucking trouble in FLORIDA how the hell do they drive in the friggin snow!?!?!?!?!

They don't - that's why they migrate to Florida!

keira strongbow
11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Baroness! Yes! The momentarily blind thing! Amen, sister!

Just yesterday, I was at the gyno for my 6 week postpartum checkup to have my c-section checked out and all and had the elevator thing happen to me. There I was, carrying a car-seat with an infant in it, a diaper bag and my purse and I might as well have been the invisible woman! Damn them all! And don't even give them the option of going in a handbasket! ;)

Ysobelle
11-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Drug.

"I drug him back into the house." I have been known to just snap, "DRAGGED! You DRAGGED his sorry ass! And if you DRUGGED him, I hope you gave him something strong enough so he won't see me beating YOUR sorry ass!"

"I could care less."

So? If you could care less, that means you already care a certain amount. The phrase is, "I COULDN'T care less." As in, "I could not possibly lower my caring threshold any lower than it is now."

Irregardless.

There is no such word. Irrespective, yes. Regardless, yes. Irregardless? Stop trying to sound educated-- your three-dollar word isn't worth a spit-covered penny.

Caitriona
11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
My 2 centsÖ

I hate people who read and drive. If you want read pull the F over or wait until you get where you are going.

People who insist that your lane is better then theirs and try to take off the front end /back end of your car to get there. Or better yet, people who are in the vehicle behind you, in bumper to bumper traffic, that insist on flashing their lights. Like they are going to go any faster in your spot. Why jam your car up my arse, when I canít go any faster then the cars in front of me?

I recently had an elderly (read 80+) gentleman pull out in front of me cutting me off, and then drive 15 in a 40. What the F????

Donít even get me started on grammar and spelling.

But my biggest pet peeve? My name is RHODA, notice there isnít a N in thereÖ I donít answer to Rhonda. Never will. What worse is people who have known me for years, I've corrected them a billion times and they still do it,

Oh, and the pet peeve of the day Ė The guys that call for tech support, get me and ask to speak with someone in Tech support, then ask me 3 times if Iím in support. DuhÖ When I say YES and how can I help you the second time should have given them a clue.

Mairi the Herbwench
11-18-2003, 06:29 PM
People who want me to "borrow" them money. Nope - no way. If you can't ask for it properly, I won't lend it to you.

cyd
11-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Oho, you should be glad you don't live in DC.

See, I used to live in Jersey. Jersey people believe in defensive driving, i.e. the best defense is a good offense, and we're as offensive as they get!

However, while Jerseyans tend to be a-holes for drivers, they're PREDICTABLE a-holes...

DC, on the other hand, is another ball of wax entirely.

See, if you're a diplomat, and you walk into the DMV, you can walk out with a driver's license. No test required. No previous license required. As long as your passport says "diplomat", you can just walk in and ask for a license, and be granted one. Period. You don't ever have to have been behind the wheel before in order to do this.

This means that we have a whole lot of people who may never have driven before, on our roads.

Pair that together with the ones who own one of maybe five cars in their entire country, and the most they ever have to avoid on teh road is a pair of oxen.

Pair that together with the ones who have only ever ridden a bicycle.

THEN top the "I'm from out of the country and have never driven before" drivers with the drivers from California, Nebraska, Wyoming, Jersey, Maine, Florida, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Colorado, Minnesota, and about forty other states...

Because every single one of those states (and neighboring countries) has representatives in our state capital. And every single one of them seems to think they know how to drive... In their own state. And they're all talking on cell-phones while driving.

So you get the aggressive drivers from jersey, the bumper drivers from california, the 30-mph-in-the-fast-lane-with-a-land-yacht floridians, the tractor-driving nebraskans, and the oh-geez-I'm-running-from-a-tornado people from kansas, and not a single one paying attention because there's a phone in his ear, and you have a whole big MESS.

Oh, not to mention that half of these people appear never to have seen rain or snow in their lives before. Two snowflakes get together around here and the whole town shuts down in gridlock.

There IS no predictability to this area. NONE.

There's a reason I let my husband drive around here.

There's a reason he's usually cranky-boy. Because I let him drive around here. ;)

Cyd

Jeannie Fitzgerald
11-18-2003, 06:59 PM
addition to #5 - PEOPLE WHO IGNORE ALL THE RULES MENTIONED AND TYPE IN ALL CAPSand/or large fonts.

Jeannie Fitzgerald
11-18-2003, 07:19 PM

1....How about the people who do *that* in traffic. They stop 3 car lengths back from the red light, leave several car lengths in front of them in bumper to bumper traffic, etc. Must be the same type you had in front of you in DnD.

There is a Safe Driving program known as the Smith Driving System that is taught in many companies, including my previous employer. The reason for stopping some distance behind the car ahead of you is so you can get out if the car ahead fails to move when the light changes and to help avoid being knocked into the car ahead of you if hit from behind. This is all well and good, but most of the dingbats I see doing this seem to be oblivious to what is happening when they block people from getting to a turn lane due to an island or curb. If you honk at them, they are either too ignorant to realized why or too arrogant to care. Even though they do teach people to be aware of traffic around them and to be courteous, this never gets mentioned in Smith Driving classes (unless I'm in the class, then it's, "Katie, bar the door!")

Entropy
11-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Pet Peeves, Part I

Number 1:
When standing on a line, and the person in front of you moves, MOVE UP!! Don't stand there like you're waiting for space big enough to land a zeppelin...JUST. MOVE. UP. Besides, if you move up, it gets me closer to my coffee at Dunkin', and THAT, boys and girls, makes me happy.

The opposite of this is my pet peeve. If the line moves up, leave enough room behind me so you are NOT up my ass. We are not cattle and we should not be crammed together. I have had this same conversation with the person behind me on a number of occasions:

Me: 'So, do you like my underwear?'

Asshat standing too close: 'What?'

Me: 'I was wondering if you liked my underwear?'

Asshat standing too close: looks confused

Me: 'I figured that since you were up my ass, I'd see what you
thought of them!'

Asshat standing too close: takes a step back

This will probably get me in trouble one day but for now I don't really care. If you are standing behind me in line and I can feel the big stack of things that you are planning to buy poking me in the back, you are going to get what you deserve.....

'Nise
11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
My driving Peeves:

When you are going the required 20 MPH in a school zone (esp b/c you know there is a cop up ahead just waiting to catch the speeder) and people are getting shirty about it.

I swear, I want a bumber sticker that says, "Made of SOLID matter!"

When in constrution (Ohio, orange barrel capital of the world),and two lanes are merging to one, and this is all well marked, and people still need to zoom up through the lane that is shortly not going to exist and cut in front of you. I admire the trucker's on this move. Often times I will see them blocking the soon to be defunct lane so that traffic will keep moving.

Thanks for posting this, it made my day at work!
Love
'Nise

moira
11-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Number 5:
people that type with no punctuation capitalization or sense of sentence structure it makes me sad and mad and really really insane i get emails like this from people i work with and i want to reach through the pc and shake them until their eyes fall out

i don't use caps. i do use punctuation. do my posts drive you all crazylike? :twisted:

moira

Donnaccia
11-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Number 5:

i don't use caps. i do use punctuation. do my posts drive you all crazylike? :twisted:

moira

BAH! Yes! Stop it! I must find you and shake you till your eyes fall out!!!! :lol:

Leela
11-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Okay, this iskind of a cross post but what the hell.

Christmas crap...in OCTOBER. May all retailers who have started with this burn in the fiery pits of hell, be strangled in tinsel, and impaled on a tree.

I'll make this clear...this shit DOESN'T get me in the 'spirit' of the season, it just makes me want to BLOW THINGS UP. Maim. Destroy. Kill.

Merry Fuckin' Christmas,
Leela

pngwnmama
11-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Santa before Thanksgiving and the lovely muzak that is piped in! :twisted: :vent:

Bronya
11-19-2003, 12:28 AM
1-Kids that must turn around and stare/scream/snot/dribble over the back of the booth/airplane seat. Slap the parents for not making them sit correctly in the seat, eat like a human and not scream like a banshee.
2-People who won't look at you when they are speaking to you. What the f---, were'nt you taught any manners or social skills?
3-The DVD's in the SUV. What happend to a family talking, singing, playing the license game or staring out the windows at the clouds to see what shapes were hiding in them?
4-2 words not heard often enough. Thank you. Your welcome. Yes/No Ma'm/Sir . I LOVE YOU

Thanks for the fun

emalia
11-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Above all else.. the one thing that gets me in less time than anything else:
Kids with no seat belts or not in a car seat....

I have pulled up to people and said things over this.. This pisses me of faster than ANYTHING in the world.. You want your fucking kids to be projectile missiles and end up in a tree fine with me, get a fucking doll to play dress up with then.. Sit your fucking kids down, and strap them in properly.

Mistress Kristi
11-19-2003, 11:06 AM

Ok, what about the people who stop 3 car lengths back IN A TURNING LANE!!! Do they not know that there is a little magical sensor under the road and if their big fat car isn't on said sensor the light will not change. After 2 light cycles they finally figure this out and move up and HOLY COW they and the rest of us can finally get to work. Don't get me started on blinkers.

I just moved to the midwest from the north east. There is a definite lack of personal space here. When I'm in line for something I feel people breathing down my neck. Really creeps me out.

And yeah, the play dates. My sister is 12 and she goes on play dates. It is pretty much a yuppy suburban idea. However, it is becoming so pervasive that you can't just go around the neighborhood and knock on doors because you might interrupt a play date.

Last but not least, grammar. My grandmother writes grammar textbooks so I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. "He and I" is the subject of the sentence, "me and him" is the object of the sentence. Both are correct in their proper place, please do not use "he and I" as the object. Nauseated vs. nauseous, they are not interchangable.

Ok, sorry to continue the rant but, GAH!

Kristi :whip:

Mairi the Herbwench
11-19-2003, 12:17 PM
2-People who won't look at you when they are speaking to you. What the f---, were'nt you taught any manners or social skills?

This one I have to take a small exception to - some cultures consider looking in the eye (especially for women) to be a Bad Thing. If you're born and raised here and not some (can't think of a PC way to say this) odd religious group, yeah, look me in the eye. If you're a recent immigrant, I can understand if you don't.

artimis_lebeau
11-19-2003, 02:45 PM
My biggest driving pet-peeve is cell phones...

If what you have to say cannot wait until you get to your home and call the person on a land line, you got really big problems.

Have people forgotten what it was like to not have a cell phone?

I think police officers should have the right to pull over folks with one hand on their cell phone while driving, take the cell phone from them, and smash it with their PR-24 and hand the person back the pieces.

As for the peckerknuckles who drive while watching a video in their car, they should just be shot on sight, no questions. They are a darwin award just waiting to happen.

Jeannie Fitzgerald
11-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Peckerknuckles? I'm having trouble putting THAT image in my mind! 8)

Isabelle Fawkes
11-19-2003, 03:57 PM
My biggest driving pet-peeve is cell phones...

If what you have to say cannot wait until you get to your home and call the person on a land line, you got really big problems.

Have people forgotten what it was like to not have a cell phone?

I think police officers should have the right to pull over folks with one hand on their cell phone while driving, take the cell phone from them, and smash it with their PR-24 and hand the person back the pieces.

As for the peckerknuckles who drive while watching a video in their car, they should just be shot on sight, no questions. They are a darwin award just waiting to happen.

Cell phones are a major problem in traffic, but who gets to disipline the police officer cruising while talking on a cell phone ??? (Witnessed this one myself not too long ago.)

Alianne
11-19-2003, 06:42 PM

Well, 3 car lengths is a little extreme, but it's a good idea to leave some space between you and the car in front. If you're rear-ended, if you leave space, odds are you won't get pushed into the car in front of you.

Now, onto one of my pet peeves, especially because I've seen so much of it being done here:

1. People who trash parents without knowing what the circumstances are about their children. Yes, many kids are undisciplined brats. Many parents are completely clueless.....BUT MANY ARE NOT. THERE ARE KIDS OUT THERE WITH DIFFICULTIES WHICH IMPACT UPON THEIR BEHAVIOR...and believe or not, the vast majority of parents who have such children *know* how their kids are and are doing the best they can to help them.

But part of that is to actively teach these kids how to behave in public and we can't do that unless we actually take them out in public!

I'm one of those parents and I spent *years* not going out anywhere but someplace that involved the phrase 'you want fries with that?' because my son could not handle being much of anywhere else....but at one point, he *had* to learn how to be in such places. Now, if he started losing it, we'd take him out, but he also had to have a brief opportunity to get himself together before that.

But I wasn't going to completely isolate him from the rest of the world because he had an 'invisible disability' (cause, geez...people take pity on a squealing kid in a wheelchair but gods forbid my kid stands up in a booth and turns around and looks at you).

You don't know if the kid is a kid with a problem or is just a problem kid, so please don't make assumptions. Trust me, we parents don't like these meltdowns any better than you do, and we could do without the condemning looks and hostility that used to greet us whenever we would take our son out somewhere. He wasn't a bad kid and I'm not a bad parents....but I was damn tired being treated like he was and I was.

(and I find it ironic that most of the bitching about this comes from those people who don't have children....)

And could we please stop with the freakin' overgeneralizing about kids who take medication for such things? It's offensive. I know some of the adult ADDers here don't seem to mind it, but damn it, I do. It belittles my child, who has worked damn hard to be the kid he is today and he would not have gotten there without meds.

I've said this before in other threads. Some kids need meds. Some kids are just brats. But really, it would help if when you post crap like this if you actually Had A Clue as to what you're talking about.

And please, no one take this personally, okay? You know I love you all, but this is just such a hot button for me...so bear with me....but if we're ranting about things that piss us off, that's one of mine, big time.

- People who don't put their kids in seat belts. I've called the cops on these asshats. If you want to be an asshat who drives without a seatbelt, fine. Don't make your child a projectile in case you stop short or get hit.

-Turn signals are there for a reason. USE THEM.

-People who drive over the yellow painted islands in order to get into turn lanes. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. These idiots are the first to scream if a person who is by the turn lane attempts to make a legal change and gets hit by one of these IQ impared yutzes. Wait the extra minute or two till your car gets to the point where you can make the legal move and then get into the turn lane.

- People who sit and crack their gum all day. Stop it, just stop it right now, will ya? I literally turned down a transfer to an office closer to home because one of my former colleagues from my old office ended up there and I could hear her snap and crack her gum from 10 feet away. It was all I could do to keep from strangling her on a daily basis.

-People with bad table manners. I do not need to watch you process your food. Close your mouths when you chew.

pngwnmama
11-20-2003, 01:42 AM
- they have hands free attachements for cells for a reason. Use em!!!!

Thankyou!

moira
11-20-2003, 02:31 AM
-People with bad table manners. I do not need to watch you process your food. Close your mouths when you chew.

that's my biggest issue. a woman i work with eats like a pig. literally. she chomps and slurps and snorts and grunts. i can't eat in the same room as her. my boss told me that i wasn't allowed to eat at my desk any longer (some stupid 'eating in front of patients even when we're closed' rule). i told her that either i got to eat at my desk, or i got to eat in her office, away from piglady.

don't have to worry about it anymore, since i start my new job on dec. 1st!!! yea!!!

moira

cordelya
11-21-2003, 05:48 AM
I'm in complete agreement with Cyd on the DC traffic issue. I'm also very glad that I drive to work at 9pm and drive from work at 6am.

Other peeves:

- Work related: the caller who, when asked, "What state?" answers with the city. Four times.

- Another work related: the caller who, when asked, "What was the duration of the release?" says, "From two-thirty-five to seven-nineteen". If I wanted to know the start and end times, I'd have asked. I want to know how many minutes and hours the damn event lasted!

- Sensationalism in the media (and anywhere else, for that matter)

- Asshats who pass you on the highway going 25 or more mph over the speed limit. I generally simply say to myself, "Karma!" when that happens.

- When retail employees try to sell me the store's warrantee/replacement plan on an item. I used to work at Office Depot and they made me recommend it to the customers. I hated having to do that, and I hate it when someone does it to me. Unfortunately, I can't go off on the employee, since they're made to do it. Instead I try to fill out a comment card and say, "I don't like it when your employees try to push store warrantees/replacement plans on me."

- People who don't tip well for good service. And I've never worked in the restaurant industry, either.

- Finally, one more work related: "NOX" is an industrial designation for several different hazardous materials (including but not limited to: nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, nitrous oxide, and nitric oxide). I've told several callers many, many times that "NOX" is not a term that is of any use to me. I need to know the chemical name of the material, because some of the materials have a code in the database, some do not. I've explained this to several people at several facilities several times over, and they still say "NOX". Grrrr!

Holly
11-24-2003, 06:40 PM
hmm.. where o wher to start...

I cant stant ppl who treat me like i am stupid because i CANT spell, or process. To be honest.. i am quite bright and i feel that ppl who treat me like shit because i can always spell it are missing out. There is a thing called dyslexic blindness and those ppl who have it will have moments that they cant even THINK of what the word cat starts with. At this point dictionaries are no help if you cant even get the sounds in order... It really hurts my feeling when ppl are mean to be because of it. Look at my meaning, not my spelling please. Just like i wont judge you because you ass crack is hanging outta your low rise jeans. Yup pet peeve No 2.. just because they design those jeans does not mean they fit you .. or look good.

I also hate ppl who get on the "lets medicate every child who talks outta turn" wagon. Arg...

I also feel bad for parents with kids with real disablilities who are trying to make it work. There are so many ppl so quick to judge.

I also hate STANDARDIZED TESTS.... for many of the reasons above. I cant f-ing stand the ppl who think that the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT deals with bus routes, they are the same ppl who voted for the jerks who passed this crap.

ARRG>>>

drivers... DONT GET ME STARTED!!

and one last one..

BOYS >>> LOOK UP.... the mouth is where the niose is coming from.... they dont talk:)