PDA

View Full Version : Becareful of Hartz Flea and Tick Drops...

Isabella
11-21-2003, 04:13 AM
I wanted to have you all read this website:

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

About Hartz Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Dogs. These drops can kill or make your animals very very sick.

If you have a flea problem please go to your vet for the drops! It could save your pets lives!

Pinay

Ysobelle
11-21-2003, 04:35 AM
A dear friend of mine lost his darling Jack Russell to Hartz drops. He's not allowed to tell me the results, but he settled out of court with them.

The stuff is evil. Don't ever, ever use it. Ever.

Bonnie
11-21-2003, 07:54 AM
about fifteen years ago, there was a substance my vet gave me for fleas on my dog. I've since forgotten the name...

I was just a kid, with her first dog, and had to watch him bleed to death internally from whatever it was this vet had me give him. Dog died in my arms vomiting blood.

Turns out that certain breeds were not given the treatment, such as greyhounds, because as a breed they were ubersensitive to it. My dog was, too. I think the substance stopped being recommended shortly thereafter.

I've never used so much as a flea collar since then. I'll use flea shampoos, but that's it, and my dog gets WELL rinsed, afterwards. It's just wacked, feeding our pets poison, or dropping it on their skin. It's POISON!

Isabella
11-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Ysobelle! OMG! That's so horrible! :( Poor baby Doggie!

Bonnie Hugs Sweetie, that's so horrible. *sighs* It's like loosing a kid.

:grouphug:

Miatawolf
11-21-2003, 10:50 AM
My heart goes out to those that have lost pets it is a horrible thing. They are family. If you have never had a pet it is hard to explain.

I always only use the stuff my vet gives me. It is what he uses on his cats.
Mine are all ok and doing well.

Ysobelle
11-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Frontline. It comes straight from my vet, and I only use it in flea-weather months, anyway.

It's just over a year now that I lost Kayli so suddenly. Now that the weather's gotten colder and darker, I still sometimes feel that bewilderment, and overwhelming grief that she's gone. You'd better believe I'm not going to do anything to endanger Clue's life.

emalia
11-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Advantage is what I give my Kitties..

Thomas
11-21-2003, 01:51 PM
I have always had good luck with simple bathing and shampoo. During flea season I just bathed more

Mermaid
11-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Hartz had problems years ago with one of the first OTC flea sprays/drops--I don't recall the name for sure--maybe defender? defend? It's all too similar to this--very scary.
I would never DREAM of using an OTC treatment on my animals--too many problems, and cheaper is not always better by any means. I use Frontline and Sentinel, and had good results with them. One cat is now geriatric at 9 years old, so no longer gets flea control products (they have to be metabolized through the kidneys and liver, and I don't want to make his older organs work any harder than they have to--also, the other animals are on flea control, and he doesn't go outside--so any possible exposure is limited)
What also bothers me is--the petfood stores that have a vet associated with--sometimes sell Frontline. They get around the prescription thing by having a vet on staff--even though the person buying the med may never have brought the animal in, and the vet on staff may never have seen them at all.....but hey, we can sell it to you! I've taken to calling the vendor to complain when I've seen this--at least 2 stores have ended up with the vendor refusing to sell Frontline to them. (sometimes I LIKE being a squeaky wheel <G>)

Mermaid

Isabella
11-24-2003, 09:10 AM
We use Revolution that the vet treats our kitties with. It's wonderful, with no signs of anything.

;) :meow:

LadyVixen
11-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Thanks for posting this, already gave my dogs the Hartz once, and I will never do THAT again. My Shepherd got really bad diarrhea the day after, we were never sure if it was some people food he got into (he has a very sensitive tummy) or the drops, now we KNOW.... Thank gods I didn't use that garbage on my kitties!

I had no idea that they could sell a pat care product that was proven lethal!

I just ordered some Frontline for everyone. From now on, I will only use what my vet recommends! Thanks again, you may have just saved my babies lives!

Lady Laurel
11-30-2003, 08:50 PM
About 4 years ago I almost lost my cat (rusty) because of the drops. Luckily while he was going into shock the doctor over the phone told me to bath him in dawn liquid detergent ( it neutralizes the drops) she said that was the only thing that saved him.
I have wrote the company and am now involved in a mass law suit that thousands of animal owners are involved in.

I just don't buy any of thier products and tell every animal lover I know to stay away from it.

Mermaid
12-01-2003, 12:34 AM
bath him in dawn liquid detergent ( it neutralizes the drops) she said that was the only thing that saved him.

Just as an added FYI--Dawn dishwashing detergent (the original blue stuff) is not only kept onhand in every vet clinic I know, they donate cases and cases of it to wildlife rehab everywhere. It is about the only thing that will remove oil or grease from fur or feathers without being toxic itself. It's the only dish detergent I'll buy just for that reason--I want to support the fact that THEY support wildlife by their donations.

Mermaid~ of the vast amount of trivia knowledge <G>