PDA

View Full Version : Tad Williams

purple stars
12-05-2003, 01:53 AM
I was just wondering if any one has read any book by Tad Williams? :?
I found two of his books and they looked pretty cool. If anyone has I would like to know what you think and are they worht buying?
wait bought them already oh well they were at a thrift store:)

Ysobelle
12-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Tad Williams is possibly my favourite author. I think I may have waxed rhapsodic about him several times around here. He's utterly brilliant, and I don't know how many times I've read all his books. Which ones did you get?

I was praising him somewhere ages ago to another e-list, and I realised, if you're going to say nice things about someone, it's nice to also say them to that someone. So I sent him the email I'd written. Not three days later, I got a lovely, long email back from him. I was utterly delighted. He used to do theatre, too, he told me. It was really a day/month/year-brightener. Heck, I'm still tickled about it.

Bonnie
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah...Tad Williams = cool.

You should enjoy them Which did you get?

I forget which ones I have, but I KNOW I have Tailchaser's Song... absolutely creepy and uplifting and tear-jerking and lovely.

Jamianne
12-05-2003, 02:47 PM
I'd definately recommend Tad Williams. He's been one of my favorite authors since jr. high. You should enjoy his books. :)

hhrvt
12-05-2003, 05:38 PM
i ADORED tailchasers song and the memory/sorrow/thorn trilogy...never got into the the next series (cant even think of tha name of it)---but im really looking forward to his new one :)

Holly
12-05-2003, 05:45 PM
ok... now i wanna read them .. so what are some titles and where to start and what book was best?

Ysobelle
12-06-2003, 02:25 AM
Start with Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. That series consists of "The Dragonbone Chair," "The Stone of Farewell," and "To Green Angel Tower," which is in two parts, each easily as large as both previous novels. (He refers to the final novel, TGAT, as "The Book That Ate My Life." I sorta copped the phrase for the silk corset Caitriona now wears, calling it "The Corset That Stole My Soul." That's why it's the "Soulstealer" model.)

Anyway, I also recommend the series he wrote after that: Otherland, which is "City of Golden Shadow," "River of Blue Fire," "Mountain of Black Glass," and "Sea of Silver Light." It's an epic quest tale, mixing high-tech and Australian folklore, but mostly set inside a virtual universe, so some sections take place in a world where people are the size of bugs, or where everything is two-dimensional, or in an endless house with uncountable rooms. It's an amazing trip.

His latest book is "The War of the Flowers," which, while I enjoyed it, I didn't fall so much in love with as his others. I think I need to read it again. It's about a 21st century joe who gets sucked into a war in Faerie. The front cover actually trumpets the fact that it's entirely self-contained, which makes me laugh. I'm not sure if it's in paperback yet, though everything else of his is, to the best of my knowledge. He was also working on a serialised novel online, but that project seems to have stopped, and I'm told it'll be published conventionally sometime "soon."

I'm so glad there's a thread on Tad Williams. He just totally jazzes me-- can you tell? His characterisations are complex and believable, his plots well-paced and absorbing, and his motivations and logic almost unflawed. I love the man to death. Alas, he's already married, or I'd marry his brain.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-0314884-1971937

'Nise
12-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I have always been waiting for soemthign to come after To green angel tower. One about the twins...(and no that shouldn't give anything away if you haven't read it).
Tad willimas is one of my favorites, hm and Charles D Lint...I could read those books forever.
Love
'Nise

Ysobelle
12-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Apparently, he did/does have something in the works set in the same world, but not about the twins. He referenced it somewhere on his page, but I've no idea where. Of course, now I'm gonna have to go look it up again....

hhrvt
12-06-2003, 04:42 PM
also in the "ledgends" book (ed by robert silverberg) theres a novella set in the same world as memory, sorrow and thorn...as well as a pern (anne mccarrrey) novella

Ysobelle
12-06-2003, 07:24 PM
also in the "ledgends" book (ed by robert silverberg) theres a novella set in the same world as memory, sorrow and thorn...as well as a pern (anne mccarrrey) novella

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of-- what's it about?

Bonnie
12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Um...I think you mean Anne McCaffery.

Dragonriders of Pern series.

FABULOUS BOOKS...long long long LONG a tattered set on my bookshelf. I've already had to replace the first three due to over reading. :)

I still sometimes drive along and glance up into the sky, hoping to see wings of gold, bronze, green and blue wheeling in the air above me.

Never happens though. Sigh. :(

Ysobelle
12-07-2003, 01:41 PM

FABULOUS BOOKS...long long long LONG a tattered set on my bookshelf. I've already had to replace the first three due to over reading. :)

I still sometimes drive along and glance up into the sky, hoping to see wings of gold, bronze, green and blue wheeling in the air above me.

Oh, so Browns aren't good enough for you? I'm telling F'nor!

Entropy
12-07-2003, 09:51 PM

Oh, so Browns aren't good enough for you? I'm telling F'nor!

I won't mention any of this to Ruth. I think he'd be heartbroken...

(Have I mentioned that he's my FAVORITE !!!)

Bonnie
12-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Screw F'nor!!! Just don't tell CANTH!

I'd be heartbroken if that gallant beast discovered I'd left his variation out of my musings. YES, please include BROWN dragons in my fantasies!!!!

As for Ruth, I didn't include him because he is an anomoly. But I suppose that was biased, aye?

bad bonnie.

Teaches me to go and post when I'm running out the door.

Actually, this happens quite a bit, and I always say I've learnt my lesson. Never winds up being true.

NOw that I've gone and thread jacked the thread good and proper, get thee all back to the original topic! :)

Ysobelle
12-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Screw F'nor!!!

Well...okay!

NOw that I've gone and thread jacked the thread good and proper, get thee all back to the original topic! :)

So all we need is for Tad Williams to write about dragons, then!

purple stars
12-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Which did you get?
I got leans back to see what ones she got Green Angles Tower part one and part two"
those were the only two that I saw If I am missing the frist one please let me know!! I just can't jump into a story and not know anything!!! and Please don't for get the name of it. I am horrbile trying look for books!

Ysobelle
12-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Those are the last in the series-- you MUST get "The Dragonbone Chair" and "Stone of Farewell." Don't read the ones you have until you get and read those two, and in that order.

You won't regret it.

hhrvt
12-09-2003, 07:06 PM
yes, you for sure need to start at the beginning (a very good place to start) and yes, of course i meant mccaffery, i just tend to hit "post" before proof reading...ive been addicted to pern since i was 16 (and even have pernese dragon tattoo :) )

purple stars
12-09-2003, 10:03 PM
The Dragonbone Chair" and "Stone of Farewell." Don't read the ones you have until you get and read those two, and in that order.
Ok thank you very much!! I must be on my way to find them!!! They can;t be that hard to find can they?

Ysobelle
12-09-2003, 11:30 PM
The Dragonbone Chair" and "Stone of Farewell." Don't read the ones you have until you get and read those two, and in that order.
Ok thank you very much!! I must be on my way to find them!!! They can;t be that hard to find can they?

No, they're still in print, and in paperback. The Amazon link I sent you should be a convenient place, if your local bookstore doesn't have them.

purple stars
12-10-2003, 01:28 AM
the good thing about living were I do there are just so many book stores!!! and a place called half priced books. one of the best palces on earth!!! I love it there. they have everything that you can think of. I will have to take a little trip over there the next time I get paid!! i really don't know how to thankyou!

Ysobelle
12-10-2003, 01:33 AM
the good thing about living were I do there are just so many book stores!!! and a place called half priced books. one of the best palces on earth!!! I love it there. they have everything that you can think of. I will have to take a little trip over there the next time I get paid!! i really don't know how to thankyou!

heh. You can change the subject of the thread and add a "W" to his last name!

Seriously, let me know when you get the books and how you like them. They're just the most wonderful things....

purple stars
12-10-2003, 11:51 PM
oops sorry I never saw that!! I really did hit the W though!! sorry about that.
don't worry I'll let you know when I get the first two and than start to read them!!

Ysobelle
12-11-2003, 12:12 AM
oops sorry I never saw that!! I really did hit the W though!! sorry about that.
don't worry I'll let you know when I get the first two and than start to read them!!

You're the only one who can change it-- no one else can edit your posts. You just have to open that first post in this thread, hit edit, and change the title. Voila!

And yes, yes, do keep us posted! No pun intended, of course.

purple stars
12-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Thank you Still kinda new at these whole thing!! and don't worry I will start looking for them as soon as I can!!!
now!!
:D

Ysobelle
12-11-2003, 02:49 AM
WOOTY WOOT!

purple stars
12-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Still not found them but will soon. but I did see on called. "Otherland" is that one anygood. I will keep my eye for them. In fact I might have to check out my local libery for them. they pretty much ghave everything:) yeah go Libares!!! :hearts:

Ysobelle
12-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Still not found them but will soon. but I did see on called. "Otherland" is that one anygood. I will keep my eye for them. In fact I might have to check out my local libery for them. they pretty much ghave everything:) yeah go Libares!!! :hearts:

I responded a few days ago about Otherland-- "City of Golden Light" and all. They are utterly wonderful. Yes, absolutely read them. And read them in order!

purple stars
12-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Oops sorry I did not see that post. Feels quite bad about that now. :( Yes I will haev to read them in order. I'm gald that I asked if there were anymore before the ones that I bought. I wil find them I will!!

purple stars
12-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Oh I am so happy right now. Still have not found the frist two books of the ones that I have alreay though but I did how ever find all of the books for "OtherLand"
there is only four right the ones that I bought are

Volume one: City Of Golden Shadow
volume Two: River Of the Blue Fire
Volume three: Mountain Of Black Glass and
Final Volume: Sea Of Silver Light