PDA

View Full Version : the patch, the pill, oh my!

Abigail
02-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey Wenches-

Since I have gone sooooo long without the love of a good chewtoy, I find myself in a quandry.

I need to go to planned parenthood and get some Birthcontrol. I've done the pill forever, so I cna always do that, but I can also get the patch. I instist on condoms (I should own stock in a latex company), but I like using a back up method too.

ANy suggestions? Hints? What do other Wenches of muchkin bearing age use? I wish to bear nothing. I have a hard enough time with my cat.

Abigail,
gonna get herself some monkey lovin' at Estrella!! :smooch:

emalia
02-10-2003, 03:33 PM
I would suggest the patch, I haven't used it, but it just seems easiest to me as there isn't a daily requirement to reemmber, I have a bad enough time remembering to water the dead plants outside.. And I would forget to feed the FurKids if they didn't remind me so well to fee them.

Bean
02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I personally like the pill. I leave the darn things right on the nightstand so I remember to take them every day. I also have been on the things forever (the better part of 20 years), so I guess it's just force of habit.

Hope you get some good lovin' soon......

Betsy

Leela
02-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Have to say the pill works fine. Been using it as well for 15 years and beyond the initial adjustment to find the right one, haven't had any problems,

Haven't tried the patch either, but if you have a history of dermatitis in your family, you may want to try a test patch to see if you get any reaction before going for it. Otherwise, sounds great...one less thing to remember to do in the morning!

Cheers,

Leela
02-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh, and a little refresher on STD's is probably a good idea, while your at it.

Just to play it even safer...

Glad you're a condom queen. It's dangerous out there, girlfriend!

PirateKisses
02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I've been using the NuvaRing since August and I have to tell you, it rocks! It goes in for three weeks and you toss it the beginning of the 4th week. The 4th week you have your period then the next Sunday in goes a new Ring. It's made of soft flexible material that goes where it's comfortable for you.

I have my BF do what he calls "ring retrival and removal" and the insertion of the new ring. It keeps him involved in what's going on with my body and makes him an active part of cycles.

If you go to their website, you can get a coupon printed out for a free ring. My doctor has given me several already. I think I was the first in his office to use.

Glad to hear you're getting your "groove" back, Abigail!
PK
who is now one seriously "groovy" wench :hearts:

daBaroness
02-10-2003, 06:06 PM
There is also Norplant and shots you get every few (three I think) months. I did the pill thing for years. Fortunately most of the time I wasn't really sexually active because I forgot a whole lot. I'd go with whatever is easiest to use and easiest NOT to forget ... forgetting is the devil's workshop.

I had my tubes tied, fried, and laid to the side when I had my youngest son at age 35. Little did I know I needn't have bothered - my romantic life since that time has can be described in two words: slim (and) none. :lol:

I'm just looking forward to the day I stop this monthly visit by Aunt Flo nonsense ... I'm gonna be 47 - I'm ready for it to be over!

da Baroness

cyd
02-10-2003, 06:24 PM
I've been using the NuvaRing since August and I have to tell you, it rocks! It goes in for three weeks and you toss it the beginning of the 4th week. The 4th week you have your period then the next Sunday in goes a new Ring. It's made of soft flexible material that goes where it's comfortable for you.

I have my BF do what he calls "ring retrival and removal" and the insertion of the new ring. It keeps him involved in what's going on with my body and makes him an active part of cycles.

If you go to their website, you can get a coupon printed out for a free ring. My doctor has given me several already. I think I was the first in his office to use.

PK

Okay, serious question: What kind of side effects do you get with the ring?

I've been having issues with the pill (several different varieties), and I'm wanting to try something else in the hopes I won't get some of the side effects I'm getting from the pill. My GYN won't give me an IUD because I haven't had kids yet, and she's afraid that if I get an infection that leaves me sterile I'll sue the pants off of her (she's not going to remain my GYN for long, but that's not the only reason... Anyone who tells me "go find a psychiatrist" when I tell her what the pill does to my drive is NOT someone I want remaining my GYN for long... I saw her once. Never again. Every side effect I was getting was apparently in my head. She even told me "go read a book". Bitch. Excuse me).

I'm on too many medications to just go with a condom, I don't like the odds of getting pregnant when I'm not prepared to do so. When I'm ready for kids eventually, I'll get off all of my other medications, but if I'm on them when I try to get pregnant, there's all kinds of likelihood for a baby with it's head born on backwards or developmental disabilities, and I don't want to risk it. This was something else the doc didn't seem to get.

Has anyone else run the gamute of birth control pills who can tell me what seemed to produce the least side effects?

Cyd (frustrated and hunting for a new GYN)

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
02-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey!
My Mumzilla has worked in OB/GYN for 25 years, and actually called me the other week to tell me about NuvaRing, in case I wanted to go back on birth control. (I'm having a dry spell the size of the Gobi Desert, so there's no need right now.) She says that NuvaRing is getting EXCELLENT reviews from all who have tried it. It is a hormone, so the side effects are about the same as the Pill and the Patch, though with less nausea than people get with the Pill. Depo-Provera (the 3-month Shot) is also reportedly very good as well, but it's a bit too much for my little needle-fearing, PCOS-laden butt to handle. NorPlant were the little sticks that were put under the skin in one's arm, but was taken off the market due to too many problems, so it's no longer an option.

Hope this helps!

PirateKisses
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I was on Depo for 4 yrs after Rhiannon was born and when I went off it a year ago last month, I bled for 6 weeks straight. So needless to say, I'll never go Depo again.

As for the side effects with the NuvaRing, I can't really say that I've had any. I can tell you that my sex life is incredibly spontaneous (which is a good thing) BUT my partner and I are a fluid bonded couple who have been together for a while. I worried that the ring itself would make me itch because the adhesive in the patch did. No such problem. No weight gain from it, no headaches other than my normal hormone related headaches that I get every month. I'm sold on the NuvaRing. It's never diminished my sex drive, which is frighteningly high. Even after my going through a thyroid removal and all the system backlash from that, my drive has remained really high. If anything, the boyfriend has trouble keeping up with me. He swears it's because I've hit that "prime part" of my cycle. I think it's just because I totally enjoy it and him. Men, go fig...

PK

vanessa
02-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear you're keeping safe! :)

I've had an IUD for the past year because I have gotten preggers on the pill twice.... no forgetting, no lates, doubling up or anything.... i'm just part of the 1-3%.... oh well.... they are certainly cute kiddies i've got, though! :D

My sister had one inserted about the same time I did and even though we have been almost exactly the same in all other physical aspects (side effects relating to meds, the pill, etc), we were different this way. I have very strong cramps now where I didn't use to have much of any; my perionds are in the super heavy range on my heaviest days now and i got for a full 7 days instead of the 4 i used to have; in between, things can get a little mucus-y, but not hideously so.

All things considered, I can put up with these side effects for 7 years of not having to take pills that make my weight fluctuate madly, have additional hormones racing through my already strong hormonal state and not having to get any shots!

Best wishes finding a GOOD gyn!!!! They can be your best friend in the world and I'd NEVER want someone I don't like (never mind trust!) giving me my exams!

moira
02-10-2003, 09:37 PM
ok... heres my 2 cents...

im on depo... love it cause i dont get cramps, pms (though im always a bitch) or my period...

nuvaring... i just had to spend 5 hours in the st. peters emergency room with my sister on friday because she got a PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) from it... apparently, because it remains inside you for 3 weeks there is a greater chance of getting an infection. the little bacterias live on it, and if you have wild and crazy sex... (or just boring sex) and you get a tear, all those evil bacteria can jump inside you and make you sick... (IUDs can cause this too)

so needless to say, i'll stick with depo and warn lots of people about nuvaring...

moira

Nevada
02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I take the pill..have to take synthroid everyday anyway so just take them together...bf is very active in making sure I take it..we have already had one scare...dont need another...we wants kids but not until we are a little more financially sound

moira
02-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Has anyone else run the gamute of birth control pills who can tell me what seemed to produce the least side effects?

have you tried ortho tri cyclen... i was on that a few years ago and it was great... no weight gain or anything else for me... i just kept forgetting to take em... i'll hit up my sister for other suggestions... she works for an ob/gyn

moira

PirateKisses
02-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Something that was stressed to me by my doctor when she gave me the NuvaRing was that it worked best for someone who had a single partner. Having multiple partners does up the risk of something like PID. BUT that is a risk that is found with any birth control method. Your best protection there is always going to be condoms.

PK

Ariyana Dragonwagon
02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I have very strong cramps now where I didn't use to have much of any; my perionds are in the super heavy range on my heaviest days now and i got for a full 7 days instead of the 4 i used to have; in between, things can get a little mucus-y, but not hideously so.

Vanessa... this describes me on a normal basis.. and without any insertions or chemicals!!!

even if you think your is caused by the IUD, glad to hear I am not alone!!!!!

Belladonna
02-10-2003, 11:41 PM
I've been on the pill since I had my wee one in August. Decided to use that since I was usually great about taking the pill previous, but dont want to deal with the hassel of worrying about it everyday again. I like it. Only side affects for me is that it itched a little the first few months, but now I either dont itch there or dont seem to notice it any anymore. *shrugs*

I also hate the little sticky ring you get around the patch a day or two after you put a new one on. Bugs me. But then again, I'm not doing anything with anyone that a little sticky ring would be an issue. So it's just my own problems with appearance.

I do like the fact that I dont seem to have any side effects from it. Course, I didnt raelly have any side effects like more people do when they take the pill either. I love the fact that I only have to worry about it once a week. I just put the reminder stickers in my planner....

Morte
02-11-2003, 12:06 AM
If you have side effects with other hormonal methods be careful with Depo!

I was on it for the better part of 2 years and i gained a TON (like over 50 lbs) of weight had intense mood swings.. and no period ever the whole time which was weird but nice in its own way...

i;ve also known people who had little or no side effects... i think it depends a lot on the person and their "normal" hormone levels etc...

my .02

PirateKisses
02-11-2003, 12:32 AM
I not only gained 80 lbs in 4 yrs on Depo, but I bled for 6 weeks straight after I stopped using it.

PK

Mairi the Herbwench
02-11-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm one of those lucky wenches - I've been on the pill for close to 30 years now, and plan to stay on it till I hit menopause (which is taking it's own sweet time about getting here...). I've never had any problems, (never been a smoker, either,) no weight gain I can attribute to the pill, evened out my mood swings and dropped my period from 2 weeks to 4 days - which is why I stay on it.

If you have the availability of a OB/GYN Nurse Practioner in your area - Go For It. They take the time to listen, they know what they're doing, and they understand. I won't see an MD anymore ifI have an option. I've also worked in the medical field for 26 years now, and I won't see an MD... Ask friends and relatives for recommendations - if you lived in the frozen wasteland here, I could refer you to several good ones, so ask around! And good luck - with the current administration in office, support for families and children is rapidly disappearing.

Morgan Ravynswood
02-11-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm on the pill as well. It's really no problem for me to take it every morning. I just had to find a time that I would remember to take it, say after my shower.
The only side effects that I've had with the pill are: period only 4 days and cramps are WAY less ( I used to not be able to stand, now they are tolerable), and those aren't bad side effects. Although, I have had to be careful of my blood pressure, but I quit smoking and it's a lot better.

Good luck with finding a new GYN. It can be a bitch!

Lady Gaea
02-11-2003, 03:57 PM
I've been on the Depo shots for nearly 5 years, without a single side effect, and it's been great. I know a lot of people have had trouble with it and weight gain, but I didn't. My weight gain was all at once during a really bad time in my life and after I'd already been on Depo for 3 years, so the two weren't connected.

I tried the pill, and got a yeast infection every single month right before my period, and it was before the Diflucan pill, so when you're in flow stage, you can't use the inserts for the infection, so I'd be completely out of comission and miserable for two weeks every month. I only lasted 4 months with that before going on the Depo, and it's been good since.

Heather

Devon Dalaigh
02-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Mmmmm..... I was on the pil.... yup......

Did I mention that I have a 4 month old ???????? *LOL* I too am one of those wenches who had a religious experience - my little miracle occurred while I was taking the pill religiously - every day no fail, with no more than 1/2 hour time difference.....
*sigh*

But I love him to death !!!!!!

Bonnie
02-11-2003, 04:38 PM
hehe....I have TWINS...concieved whilst on the pill. Nothing is 100% effective. sigh.

Kristianne the MerWench
02-11-2003, 05:42 PM
I would suggest the patch, I haven't used it, but it just seems easiest to me as there isn't a daily requirement to reemmber, I have a bad enough time remembering to water the dead plants outside.. And I would forget to feed the FurKids if they didn't remind me so well to fee them.

I find that if I'm taking something every day, I remember to take it. But if I'm changing a patch every few weeks, I have to write it on my calendar, in my day planner, on my mirror, etc. just so I don't forget to change it. I think it all depends on how your mind works...

Tempest_Gypsy
02-11-2003, 07:09 PM
[quote="moira

have you tried ortho tri cyclen... i was on that a few years ago and it was great... no weight gain or anything else for me... i just kept forgetting to take em... i'll hit up my sister for other suggestions... she works for an ob/gyn

moira[/quote]

I've also tried Ortho Tri Cyclen and I love it. I've been on for almost five years now and I've had only the most minor of side effects. No weight gain, no cramps worse than normal, a short period. My only side effect was that I got a Vitamin B deficciency which gave me MAD mood swings (threw a full glass of water at a BF's head) until I got it figured out. now I just take my B complex and my pill at the same time, works great.

Annette
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I have always had Side Effects on the pill. I now refuse refuse refuse to take it... Looks like I am getting a diaphragm soon.

My pill SE's are as follows:
Decreased Sex Drive... I mean in the gutter. Can't even imagine WHY someone would want to have sex...

Decreased creativity.

One mood. ALL THE TIME.

Weight gain, at least 20 pounds each time I went on the pill.

Never EVER again am I chemically neutering myself like that.

Aryiana
02-11-2003, 09:49 PM
I am an RN working in a call center and one of the info lines I staff is the one for NuvaRing. To dispel one myth I have seen propogated on here already.....

There have been no reports of pelvic inflammatory disease related to use of NuvaRing®. This is not surprising since NuvaRing® is not an intrauterine device and therefore unlikely to introduce intrauterine infections. NuvaRing® is not absorbent and therefore, does not provide a medium conducive to the bacterial growth necessary for toxic shock syndrome.

NuvaRing delivers the lowest dose of estrogen available for a hormonal contraceptive -- 15 micrograms of estrogen per day compared to 20-35 for most birth control pills. The estrogen is what causes most side effects, and weight gain for NuvaRing (in clinical trials)... only 4% of women reported weight gain and the average amount of weight gained was #1.8 pounds!!

We also do the info line for OrthoEvra -- aka: the Patch...

If there are any specific questions, please feel free to email me or I will try and scan this thread and answer them.

---,---`----<@

PirateKisses
02-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Ariyana! Like I said before, I've been using the NuvaRing since August and have been nothing but pleased with it's results. It's been a godsend for me and my beau. I may have to remember to take my allergy and thyroid meds everyday, but even then, I forget sometimes. I hate taking pills and the Ring has given me the freedom to not have to do that. It also makes my boyfriend and active part of our birthcontrol regime. This Sunday is removal day and that usually means a great bit of fun that goes along with it. The following Sunday will be just as much fun, if not more, when it comes time for the new one to go into place.

PK

Simoriah
02-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Wow...so many people who are gung-ho on hormonal contraception. Whatever happened to the good ol' barrier methods?

I went to PP last month and I got a cervical cap. I'm unable to take ANY form of hormonal contraception b.c. it will kill me (blood clots are a side effect of every single one of them).

It's similar to a diaphragm, but instead of being bulky and feeling like a frisbee inside of you, it's more like a thimble that pops right onto the cervix. No hormones, no icky side effects, and you can leave it in for about 48 hours. it does take a bit of practice to insert/remove, but after a while, it's a snap. It's a great backup if you need to take a rest from the pill or other pharmeucital forms of contaception, and when used with a condom, the pregnancy rate is about the same as the pill. If you're sensitive to spermicide, it may be a problem b.c. you do need to put a dollop on the inside before insertion.

It's not a bad idea to take a look at them. Like a few people I know, the side effects of the pill were too much for them and they had to revert to non-hormonal methods.

Just a FYI, PP tends to push the pill and it's spinoffs very hard. I had to ask repeatedly ask her about it before she finally told me about the cap. Even after telling the doctor that the pill was very risky for me, she still told me to check it out with a specialist to see if it was possible. I've done the research, and the chances of my developing a fatal clot are much better than getting pregnant. Sorry, that's a risk I'm NOT willing to take at all!!!

I do understand that they are the most popular forms of contraception, but IMHO, she really should have respected my wish not to use it. <sorry, I had a mini-rant> :oops:

Simoriah

Mairi the Herbwench
02-12-2003, 09:46 AM
I don't use barriers because I'm allergic to latex - a primary component in most. That, and when I'm on the pill I'm not anemic, don't have cramps for 3 days that include vomiting and diarrhea, and don't last for 2 weeks.

What ever works for you is what you should use, but don't expect one method to work for all.

cyd
02-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Wow...so many people who are gung-ho on hormonal contraception. Whatever happened to the good ol' barrier methods?

I went to PP last month and I got a cervical cap. I'm unable to take ANY form of hormonal contraception b.c. it will kill me (blood clots are a side effect of every single one of them).

It's similar to a diaphragm, but instead of being bulky and feeling like a frisbee inside of you, it's more like a thimble that pops right onto the cervix. No hormones, no icky side effects, and you can leave it in for about 48 hours. it does take a bit of practice to insert/remove, but after a while, it's a snap. It's a great backup if you need to take a rest from the pill or other pharmeucital forms of contaception, and when used with a condom, the pregnancy rate is about the same as the pill. If you're sensitive to spermicide, it may be a problem b.c. you do need to put a dollop on the inside before insertion.

It's not a bad idea to take a look at them. Like a few people I know, the side effects of the pill were too much for them and they had to revert to non-hormonal methods.

Just a FYI, PP tends to push the pill and it's spinoffs very hard. I had to ask repeatedly ask her about it before she finally told me about the cap. Even after telling the doctor that the pill was very risky for me, she still told me to check it out with a specialist to see if it was possible. I've done the research, and the chances of my developing a fatal clot are much better than getting pregnant. Sorry, that's a risk I'm NOT willing to take at all!!!

I do understand that they are the most popular forms of contraception, but IMHO, she really should have respected my wish not to use it. <sorry, I had a mini-rant> :oops:

Simoriah

Personally, one of my issues stems from nonoxynol-9. Hence, whatever barrier method I might use is still not anywhere near perfect. The first (and last) time I used one of those nonoxynol inserts, I was literally writhing in pain within an hour or two... A VERY effective form of birth control, that!

And the only other form of spermicide on the market? Octoxynol, which my pharmacist said if I react to the nonoxynol, the likelyhood of reacting to the octoxynol was very high.

I've heard from some that if you try enough different varieties of the pill, you will eventually find a formulation that works well with you. I can only hope. *sigh*

Cyd (desperately seeking GYN who isn't a headcase)

emalia
02-12-2003, 01:00 PM
[quote=Simoriah]Wow...so many people who are gung-ho on hormonal contraception. Whatever happened to the good ol' barrier methods?
Personally, one of my issues stems from nonoxynol-9. Hence, whatever barrier method I might use is still not anywhere near perfect. The first (and last) time I used one of those nonoxynol inserts, I was literally writhing in pain within an hour or two... A VERY effective form of birth control, that!

And the only other form of spermicide on the market? Octoxynol, which my pharmacist said if I react to the nonoxynol, the likelyhood of reacting to the octoxynol was very high.

I've heard from some that if you try enough different varieties of the pill, you will eventually find a formulation that works well with you. I can only hope. *sigh*

Cyd (desperately seeking GYN who isn't a headcase)

I soo understand... Too much spermicide and latex.. that is discomfort and infection from hell!!!! Itch city!!! Nope, I will eventually get back on the pill or patch, just a matter of getting around to it.

PirateKisses
02-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Here is the reason that I refuse to use anything with Nonoxynol-9 in it.
http://www.thebody.com/cdc/nonoxynol9.html

PK

emalia
02-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Here is the reason that I refuse to use anything with Nonoxynol-9 in it.

PK

Good read.. Thank you!

Aryiana
02-12-2003, 02:10 PM
more pence from the nuva info line here....

NuvaRing is made from a non-latex, hypo-allergenic medical plastic called EVA or Evatane.

---,---`----<@
Ary

PirateKisses
02-12-2003, 03:29 PM
In July when I decided to throw myself back into the dating game, I did a lot of research on different birth control methods. When I came across that article, my jaw dropped. Here was the modern miracle of science that was supposed to protect us from HIV and it although it was doing it's job with men, it was not protecting women at all. Kinda scared me, ya know? Definitely something to think about before anyone makes their next booty call.

PK

Simoriah
02-12-2003, 03:39 PM
[quote=PirateKisses]Here is the reason that I refuse to use anything with Nonoxynol-9 in it.

PK

PK,

It is a good read, but I don't find that a good reason to completely eliminate the use of N-9, unless you're extremely sensitive to it (as many fellow wenches have mentioned here). Truth be told, there is nothing that will 100% protect you from HIV unless you practice absitnence; even condoms have a certain failure rate. I have noticed that with many 'scientific' studies, that you can twist and turn the data any way you want to make it agree with your viewpoint. How do I know this? I'm a scientist myself and I've seen it done many a time.

I'm not debunking this study at all, but I wouldn't mind reading the entire research paper to see if other scientists who copied the test came up with similar results, because I have some questions that they don't address: Were the lesions caused strictly by N-9 or other factors? Did they use the set amount? How many times/day did they use N-9? Did these women have other STD's or otherwise compromised immune systems that would make them hypersensitive to N-9? What was the HIV infection and complication rate with the placebo gel?

There are times that I've used a too much N-9 and I've itched god awful for a day or so. It has been well documented that high doses of it do cause irritation and it could have been a major contributor to the vaginal lesions and made them more at risk for contracting HIV. People need to find out what's "too much" for your body to tolerate before it's starts getting grumpy. They did mention that N-9 is a microbicide, which means it does help protect you from bacterial STD's (like gonohorrea and syphillis), but HIV is a virus, hence the reason N-9 is ineffective. It's like using antibiotics to treat a virus-based cold. It just won't work (there are a few viruses that can be defeated with antibiotics, but the list is small compared to the ones that are not)

The one good thing that the doctor told me at PP is that reseach on other forms of contraception is turning up more and more effective methods. It would be nice if they could produce a spermicide equal to N-9, but without the nasty side effects. I'm glad that I'm not horribly sensitive to it, or else I'd be totally screwed on the whole contraception thing.

Simoriah

Jayden2298
02-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I've been on the patch since November of last year. Went off of Depo in September, after being on it for four years. Tried BCP for two months, sent my moods out of wack. went to the patch. Once a week is easy on the memory, you can find spots to put it, and even though I have sensitive skin, I don't react to the sticky.

It also has some of the benefits of Ortho Tri. Like my face clearing up <I am not a teen anymore>. I have lost weight since starting it. Hope that helps...

Jayden

lauradake
02-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Personally, I'm on the IUD--the non-hormone one. Hormones of any strength mess with my emotions, so that's pretty much out. It's a great little device--I had some cramping with my periods for the first 3-4 months, and then it was pretty much back to normal.

Nothing's foolproof, though--my best friend's sister in law got preggers on the IUD, so there's that. When I return to being sexually active, I'll insist on my partner using a condom for both pregnancy safety and STD safety.

Annette
02-12-2003, 10:14 PM
The cervical cap sounds very interesting. I am in a monogamous, fluid bonded relationship... and while we want to have babies someday, today is not the day.

We both hate condoms, and I am intolerant to the pill and synthetic progestins.

And there are spermicidal gels out there that are NOT N9.

AllieSutherland
02-13-2003, 12:54 AM
I just wanted to add that not all BC pills are created equal... each has its own chemical makeup. I began one type at age 16, then my body chemistry/hormone levels changed drastically. I had relatively high levels of testoserone (no deep voice, facial hair, etc... only manifested as heavy cystic acne and a majorly high sex drive -- the drive hasn't changed ;) ) but my doctor tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen with me to see if it would control my acne better. It didn't, and my periods became more irregular. I was then switched to Ovral 28 (which is also the "morning after pill" when dosed differently) because if its mix of progesterin and estrogen (I believe). It's helped a great deal with the acne, and my period is as right as rain...

A bit off subject here: With a somewhat naive Midwestern/Southern upbringing, I NEVER heard of these products until a few years ago, when I read about it in a magazine. It's a cup meant to collect your menstrual flow. Here is a link: (The Keeper)

http://www.gladrags.com/alternatives.html

(just an aside... GLADRAGS?!?! :P yeah... REAL :cuss: glad, aren't we? ;))

Anyway, this article discussed usuing such products (this isn't the only one marketed... try Google and enter "menstrual cup") if you have a man that is squeamish about sex during your period. IMHO, yeah, in theory, it's not much different than a tampon, but I want it PURGED ASAP!!!

Then again, I have friends who thought this was a great idea. I wonder about risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome with this?

Also... has anyone used the Female Condom? Do they still make it? I remember seeing it in Sex Ed, and the durn thing confused me more than the condom on the banana. ;) LOL! (I was WAY naive... I could only think about whether or not they should have peeled the banana first. :shock: :lol: )

Also, in the UK, many of my friends have obtained these machines sold only in Europe (not FDA approved) through their travels in the UK. They're called Persona, and it's a machine that tells you when you can have unprotected sex with the least chance of pregnancy. This is done through testing your urine with the machine. Here is the site:

http://www.persona.org.uk/

Any thoughts?

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

Ysobelle
02-13-2003, 01:08 AM
A bit off subject here: With a somewhat naive Midwestern/Southern upbringing, I NEVER heard of these products until a few years ago, when I read about it in a magazine. It's a cup meant to collect your menstrual flow. Here is a link: (The Keeper)

http://www.gladrags.com/alternatives.html

(just an aside... GLADRAGS?!?! :P yeah... REAL :cuss: glad, aren't we? ;))

Anyway, this article discussed usuing such products (this isn't the only one marketed... try Google and enter "menstrual cup") if you have a man that is squeamish about sex during your period. IMHO, yeah, in theory, it's not much different than a tampon, but I want it PURGED ASAP!!!

Allie

I had a friend in grad school who used it. I remember her coming out of the bathroom looking very grim and saying she was sure the janitor was goign to think there'd been a mob hit in there.

That sorta turned me off the idea permanently. Eurgh.

Simoriah
02-13-2003, 03:48 AM
I just started using The Keeper and I like it so far. I'm not one to change tampons frequently, and I can't get the swing of Insteads for the life of me. The only problem I've been having is I get a slight leakage, but that may be from lack of practice. Since it collects rather than absorbs the fluid, the risk of TSS is very low (think of it as a re-useable Instead). The nice thing is that if you don't like them, they do have a $$ back guarantee, if you can't get the swing of it after a few months. The life of a Keeper is about 5-10 years depending on how well you take care of it. Spread out the price over 5 years, and you will see that it pays for itself after the first year alone.

They have two sizes: A (after vaginal childbirth) and B (pre-childbirth or women that have had C-sections). I have been told by the company that if you're over 30 and still have not had babies, an A size might be a better fit. If the leaking continues, I may have to get the larger size.

If you check out the testimonials section, you will see that many women swear by theirs. So far, everyone I know that has one, loves it.

Simoriah

Simoriah
02-13-2003, 03:51 AM
I forgot to put in the official site for The Keeper:

http://www.keeper.com/

It will give you all the information you need to know on the product.

Simoriah

emalia
02-13-2003, 07:39 AM
Also, in the UK, many of my friends have obtained these machines sold only in Europe (not FDA approved) through their travels in the UK. They're called Persona, and it's a machine that tells you when you can have unprotected sex with the least chance of pregnancy. This is done through testing your urine with the machine. Here is the site:

http://www.persona.org.uk/

Any thoughts?

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

Although this isn't right for me, I do have to give praise where it is due. Their website is very informative and FRANK! They notedin BIG BOLD LETTERS: PERSONA is not recommended for women for whom pregnancy is totally unacceptable. They also explained the following on the first info page: Based on independent trials, PERSONA is 94% effective when used according to instructions and as the only method of contraception. This means that if 100 women use PERSONA for one year 6 are expected to become pregnant due to PERSONA incorrectly identifying their fertile days.
Not one of the US companies explains this well what the 94% rate means, or 99.9% for the patch and the 99% for the Pill when taken properly.

Morgaine
02-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Okay, I'm probably weighing in a little late... but here's my experience.

When I was in my late 20's I went on OrthoNovra 777 because I had such heavy periods. And it worked great. But I lost a LOT of hair. To the point of bald spots, and you could see my scalp through the thinning. My stylist (not my OB/GYN thankyouverymuch) told me that's a very little known side effect. Since I wasn't very sexually active at the time, I dropped the Pill, and picked up Nioxin Hair Care products. (Which I swear by now! I've got a full head of hair again!)

When I met my husband, I knew pretty quickly I'd be wanting to be more active again, but we weren't quite ready for kids. Back to the Doc. Actually, this time I found a great PA that I really clicked with. I was tempted to keep her when I moved an hour away... but not practical if I was planning on babies... but I digress.

I told her about my reaction to the Pill the first time. She put me on a lower dose of hormones. Don't remember the brand. But I had lost the habit of taking them every day, I was breakout out like you wouldn't believe, and I was significantly more emotional. Not good when you're already very emotional.

I heard about the patch, did a little research, asked her about it, and we gave it a shot. She had just gotten in some samples, I think I was one of the first in their office. I loved it! No notable side effects, my sex drive remained the same as pre-pill, I didn't break out nearly as bad as I had on the pill, and I wasn't nearly as emotional. And it was very easy to remember to change on Sunday. Just about any time on Sunday. I did notice that where I placed the patch stayed red for about a week after I ripped it off, and itched a little the first day, but I could live with that! I'd say I'm a fan.

Hubby and I are now working on babies. I had him rip off the last patch right after our wedding, as a sort of fertility rite! Hehehehe...

CelticBombshell
02-14-2003, 03:14 PM

PK

Okay, serious question: What kind of side effects do you get with the ring?

I've been having issues with the pill (several different varieties), and I'm wanting to try something else in the hopes I won't get some of the side effects I'm getting from the pill. My GYN won't give me an IUD because I haven't had kids yet, and she's afraid that if I get an infection that leaves me sterile I'll sue the pants off of her (she's not going to remain my GYN for long, but that's not the only reason... Anyone who tells me "go find a psychiatrist" when I tell her what the pill does to my drive is NOT someone I want remaining my GYN for long... I saw her once. Never again. Every side effect I was getting was apparently in my head. She even told me "go read a book". Bitch. Excuse me).

I'm on too many medications to just go with a condom, I don't like the odds of getting pregnant when I'm not prepared to do so. When I'm ready for kids eventually, I'll get off all of my other medications, but if I'm on them when I try to get pregnant, there's all kinds of likelihood for a baby with it's head born on backwards or developmental disabilities, and I don't want to risk it. This was something else the doc didn't seem to get.

I was on the depo shot for jsut about 9 months and i gain over 100 lbs in the first six. it also made me slightly psychotic ( :evil: rages & :faint: moodswings) I am now on the patch and love it. :hearts:

Maeve Ravensway
02-14-2003, 04:58 PM
You would think a woman GYN would be more empathetic but most of the one's I have gone to are not. It's weird. For the most part I have totally bad doctor karma anyway. But Cyd, I know a great one, one I would SWEAR by -- she's downtown DC though and doesn't accept all insurance or HMOs but I have gone to her, I have taken my daughters to her, she is the only one I would go to for something serious even if I had to pay it out of pocket (which I have). She performed my hysterectomy (it was totally necessary and then it turned out I had TWO uterus'). Email me if you are interested.

Maevie
Cunning Woman
IWG #2055 #42

Wench Shaelyn
02-15-2003, 12:08 AM

PK

*Blink* What the bloody stars is a NuvaRing? I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 4 years and had unlimted problems with it lately. I'm heard Yasmine is a very good pill but I've also been considering the patch. But what the heck is this Ring thingy?!

PirateKisses
02-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Shaelyn-

To find out more about the Ring and to get a certificate for a free Ring from your healthcare provider, go to: www.nuvaring.com . There's a ton of info on the website. That was how I found out about it while I was researching new birth control methods.

I've been using the Ring since August and it's been the best form of birth control that I have EVER used. I set up reminders in my Yahoo calendar and on my Palm Pilot as to days that I need to remove and replace the ring. Talk to your doctor. Chances are that they have samples they are more than willing to dispense as this is still a fairly new thing on the market. I've only had to pay for 2 since going on the Ring, the doc has given me all the others.

Good Luck on finding the method that works best for you and your body!
PK
who is now going back to her weekend of lust with the BF