PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a wee aged today...

emalia
12-10-2003, 12:16 PM
You know you are aging (not old) when you remember FleetwoodMac BEFORE The Dance.....

Alianne
12-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Hell, don't feel bad....

My eldest turned 18 today. (not the Demi-God, his big brother)

He can now become a Rogue and raise hell all on his own.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

toosha
12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
THe "Oldies" station here in NYC is constantly making me feel old before my time. Since when is the mid 80s oldies music?

And I too remember Fleetwood Mac before "The Dance" Though that tour was the first and only time I got to see them.

Mairi the Herbwench
12-10-2003, 01:05 PM
I remember watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Wanna talk old?

Nevada
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I remember the first time my best friend and I saw Prince and the Revolution in the discount oldies bin at a store...we promptly went to a local tex/mex place and had a few margaritas

daBaroness
12-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Paul Revere and the Raiders with and without Mark Lindsay, Little Stevie Wonder, The Rolling Stones when Mick and the boys were in their 20s (not their 60s) ...

Black and white TV, pinball machines, 8 mm movies, returnable pop/soda bottles, penny candy, Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and The Popeye Club.

Sigh

dB

emalia
12-10-2003, 01:43 PM
THe "Oldies" station here in NYC is constantly making me feel old before my time. Since when is the mid 80s oldies music?

I too have to agree.. I thought that when I heard POISON on the classic station!!!!!!!!

Mistress Kristi
12-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Hell, don't feel bad....

My eldest turned 18 today. (not the Demi-God, his big brother)

He can now become a Rogue and raise hell all on his own.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

You shouldn't feel bad, I'm my mom's baby and I'm turning 24 in two and a half weeks. I'm a horrible ungrateful child and I keep reminding her. :singdanc:

Jeannie Fitzgerald
12-10-2003, 08:03 PM
When you all hit 54 plus, let me know and we will talk about old.

Bronya
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Right behind ya Sistah :aok:
But we're not old, we're OLDER :bananada:
How about:Skate keys, 8-Tracks,Annette,Saddle Shoes,Sky King,Station Wagons.

Mermaid
12-11-2003, 12:22 AM
You know you are aging (not old) when you remember FleetwoodMac BEFORE The Dance.....

My friend had a turquoise '64 Ford Falcon convertible that her dad had restored for her---so I will always remember cruising to the river to go tubing on junior ditch day, with Rhiannon cranked on the tape player!!!!

Mermaid (getting out the Geritol)

toosha
12-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that the IT guy in our office gave me a blank stare when I mentioned Live Aid. He had also never heard the lyrics "Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight"

Sometimes I just want to smack him when he makes me feel that old. But I don't because he's a cutie and I just tease him about what he doesn't know.

Emrld
12-11-2003, 10:40 AM
My problem now is that my doctor is only a few months older than me. . . the new dentisit at the dental office is younger than me. . . .
This is one of those hills we climb before the mountain.

The great news for us wenches climbing these hills is that there are some wonderful, kind, and intellegent wenches who have climbed before us to make the path easier.

Jeannie Fitzgerald
12-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Right behind ya Sistah :aok:
But we're not old, we're OLDER

Actually, we are not older. We are aged, like fine wine and cheese, and well seasoned by time, which makes so much more spicy!

8)

Kae
12-11-2003, 01:56 PM
I don't know if this made me feel old, young or just scares> :shock:

Please do not take offense at anything written. It is truly just about a generation gap and the time it takes.

Kae

I*think this explains some of the Generation
Gap. We really did a lot of adjusting to get along with our kids. To our
kids, maybe this explains some of our thinking.

How old is GRANDMA?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end
-- it will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied,
"Well, let me think a minute, I was born, before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses,Frisbees and the pill. There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens. Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man* hadn't yet walked on the moon.

"Your Grandfather and I got married first -
and then lived together. Every family had a father and a* mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'- and after I
turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.' "We
were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers,
and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

"Living in this country was a huge privilege. We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent. Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins. Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

"Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends - not purchasing condominiums. We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, guys wearing earrings and necklaces, or women with tattoos. We listened to the Big Bands! Jack Benny, the Lone Ranger, and the Presidents' speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing
his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk. The term making out' referred to how you did on your school exam. Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

"You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a* gallon. In my day, 'grass' was mowed, 'coke' was a cold drink, 'pot' was something your mother cooked in, and 'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby. 'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office, 'chip' meant a piece of wood, 'hardware' was found in a hardware store, and 'software' wasn't even a word.

"And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap.....

"And how old do you think I am ???....."

This woman was born in 1945 and would be
only 58 years old!

Are times changing fast enough for you?

daBaroness
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I loved it Kae!!!!

I've been chatting online with a dear childhood friend I grew up with in the Detroit area and who moved to the Twin Cities several years after my family did (coincidence). He graduated in '69 and I graduated in '74. I had a huge crush on him when he was in high school and I was in junior high - oh, and we still have crushes on one another ... funny how life is ... but I digress.

Ours was the "bad" generation ... the kids growing up in the Vietnam era - drugs, sex, rock n' roll ...

Fast forward ... maybe they were right ... at least partially. My friend and I have been sharing laments of our own wayward adolescent and young adult children and we of the "bad" generation are wondering where we went wrong. His 22-year-old daughter who had a full-ride scholarship to the U of Minn. chose to party rather than study and ended up losing her scholarship - blaming it on the institution rather than accepting the responsibility for the fact she made choices. She's currently living back at home with her dad and his wife, is unemployed, angst-ridden and depressed and her only activity is weekly drinking outings with her pals. Her dad is afraid to push her too hard because of her despression and since she's not a student and unemployed there's no insurance or enough money available to seek medical help for her depression.

His 18-year-old son got a full-ride football scholarship to North Dakota State - the result of years of Bill's planning and sacrificing so the kid could go to private high school and get noticed enough to GET a scholarship. After a massive argument between father and son last winter (after which the son moved in with his mother and stepdad), the two scarcely speak - but my friend gets news from his daughter and apparently the son (a redshirted freshman) is following in his sister's footsteps. He's basically blown off classes and spends his weekend guzzling beer in an alcohol-induced haze. He thinks his dad is an out-of-touch old geezer who lives to hassle him.

I told my friend it makes my underachieving 18-year-old look like a Rhodes Scholar - and I'm honestly surprised and a little gratified that when I told my own son about my friend's son he offered to talk to the kid in hopes he could (as a peer) talk some sense into him about how he's screwing up his own future - not his father's.

Although I consider myself a thoroughly modern woman - and always thought my friend was pretty darned hip and cool - it's become apparent the old-fashioned values denoted in Kae's contribution are actually more near and dear to we old hipsters than we ever thought. So much for rejecting the values of our parents ...

dB

emalia
12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
The gap between my generation and the current generation is just as big.. I think that part of the problem with kids nowadays is that there is no generational, parental, and/or educational consistancy. Everything changed from year to year and day to day and from person to person. I know that somethings will change, and that is part of growth and history, but I think that the world is moving so fast it is impossible to have any sense of consistancy.

Another HUGE problem with the generations is Political Correctness and allowing too much personal freedom to teens. No offence but my teenaged daughter (if I had one) would NOT have her belly button pierced before the age of 18, would NOT be dressed like a hooker, and would not give me lip. But that makes me a controlling freak because everyone else is doing it..

What is with the kids not having curfews anymore? My child will be home at a specific time, or priveledges will be lost. I don't care that you have to go shopping with your friends. On a sports team, better not let the grades slip, or you won't play. Screw up, yank you from the team. My children will not have time out, they will get grounded. They will get their mouths washed with soap, they will get spanked. Noticed I didn't say beaten! I don't believe in beating a child or a person, but I do believe in putting a little fire to their bottoms with my open hand.. No harm ever came of it until a vendictive little fucker made up some stories.

Saucy Ria
12-11-2003, 09:12 PM
AMEN Emilia!!!

I work in a day care center and from what I am seeing it's only gonna get worse. So many children have NO consistancy in thier lives.... they have no limits and thier parents, the ones that are there, have no control. It's like they are afraid of the children. Believe me... day care is a nightmare that is costing us alot more then we know at this time. I watch how these children live everyday and all i can think is this is how cattle are raised..NOT CHILDREN!
My children were spanked.....no more then a couple times in thier lives,because that was all it took. They now are really well behaved kids who for the most part know thier {and thier mom's} limits. My teenager has curfew and severe repercussions if she messes up. "I do not care how late your friends can stay out, you will be home by 11!" . Okay... so there really DOES come a point when we nearly become our mothers. Does this make me old???????

Wondering just how MY mother would react to me wearing a bodice! Hehehehe!

emalia
12-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Well.. at the age of 24, I found myself saying things that I SWORE that I would NEVER say becasue my mother said them.. I now apprecaite her wisdom, and her candor more than anyone can know. It isn't so bad to be just like your mom.. :D Also, now with Goddess Children, when faced with an upset one, or a problem that I hadn't encoundered before, I ask.. What would mom do??? Love kids, always have.. Perhaps I have missed my calling, but I don't think that it is Day Care.

Mairi the Herbwench
12-12-2003, 12:14 PM
I don't have kids - by choice - but helped raise both my niece and nephew. the first time I heard my mom's words coming out of my mouth - I had to turn and look to see if she was behind me!

What it boils down to is:

Mom was right.