PDA

View Full Version : Outlander

Robin
02-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Has anyone read this series by Diana Gabaldon? I've only read the first two, but they were very good! The first one it titled Outlander, and the second Dragonfly in Amber. It was about a woman, named Claire, who goes back in time in Scotland and falls in love with Jamie Fraser<swoon!>
I have to get the rest of them to read this summer.

Robin
"wench in training"

Bonnie
02-18-2003, 06:55 PM
LOVELOVE LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVEOutlander!!!!!!!!!

Oooooh! Jamie! Ooooo!

Mehan
02-19-2003, 06:21 AM
Like me, you're hooked. When I was working with my seamstress, designing my new faire costume, I turned her on to the series - I ended up with the dress that Claire wore to Jocasta's wedding (you aren't there yet, in 5th book...) so 18th century, so wrong for faire.... I don't care, I love it!

I do believe that some of the Ladies of Lallybroch are also wenches..... just wait, they'll post

Welcome to the club!

Mairi the Herbwench
02-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Good series, well researched, compelling story - and most of them are long enough to get you thru a trans-Atlantic flight, plane change, and customs...

lauradake
02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
I had rebelled against this series for *years* (thinking it was the typical "bodice ripper" style book), and finally started reading the first book in January... and I am now halfway through "Firey Cross". *grin*

TOTALLY awesome, addictive, and... swoon... Jamie. :) My best friend is named James, and I have had to bite my tongue a few times to not call him "Jamie". *grin*

-L

Mairi the Herbwench
02-19-2003, 05:28 PM
I work with a Jaimie - and since we do Scottish Living History - I often see him in a kilt. However, he looks nothing like Jamie - but we do have some that do. Ah, for a windy day...

Devon Dalaigh
02-19-2003, 06:07 PM
This sounds JUST up my alley ! Now I have a really good reason to drive all the way to Barnes and Nobles to use my gift card !!!!
Thanks !!!!!!

~Dev~
The book devouring wench !

Kat
02-25-2003, 11:40 PM
At the moment I am reading the series by Diana Gabaldon. I love this series. I am hooked ! When the book comes to an end (when I still want the story to go on) I can pick up the next book and continue to read about the people in this book that I have come to know. I am on the fourth book, "The drums of Autumn". There are five books in this series. If you haven't started to read them, go get them, they are good. :aok: Although when I'm done with them I will miss Jamie :hearts:

hhrvt
02-27-2003, 02:09 PM
i adore this series...but havent been on the ladies of lallybroch page for ages....i even have claires wedding ring ;)

Lucia Francesca
03-01-2003, 02:24 AM
I, too, adore this series....I'm waiting for the 5th one to come out in mass media paperback. It's definitely not the typical grocery-store check out line romance novel.

Isabelle Warwicke
03-05-2003, 11:11 PM
I own every book in the series....some people call it sci fi some call it romance...i call it an escape....each book is a fabulous read. I actually mety Ms. Gabaldon on her last tour to promote 'The Fiery Cross.' She is an amazing woman. She was working in New Mexico...i think for SETI...and decided that she wanted to write a book. She searched for a topic that she could really research well and finally settled on Scotland. The Outlander series was born. I was the Outlander and Fiery Cross both hard cover and signed.
Bit of intrigue....when at the book signing, she was taking questions. I asked her who the ghost was that stood outside Claire's window in the first book. She said she'd never tell. So I asked when we would see him again. She replied that when we saw him again it would be on the last page of her last book. I told her that I hoped I never saw the ghost again. She said...I hope I never write about him again.

a Lady of Lallybroch

kj4562
03-19-2003, 09:56 PM
I read the first book and went through it pretty quick but I've got to chime in here that the torture scenes were just too much for me. :cry: I've been told that the later books aren't quite so..um.. torturous. I adore the premise and I have to say that the book had stayed with me. I'm just not so sure I want to set myself up for that again.

Mairi Ulfsdottir
03-20-2003, 08:35 AM
If you like the Outlander series- definitely read the "Outlandish Companion" it's got some great insights into Diana Gabaldon's way of thinking, how she developed the characters & etc. I would love to meet her, she really seems like a great person!

Mairi