02-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Kiss Me Kate was kind enough to get the ball rolling for us...All pertinant info can be found in Local 34's forum and a thread for Statements of Purpose for those running for Local Madame and Lt. Madame has been started there as well.
It's a good year for politics.
02-29-2004, 08:50 PM
I, Kate Burrall, Madame cum Laude #116, aka. KissMeKate and Katelyn Burrill, accept the nomination to run for Local Madame for Local 34.5 by Cathie Roberts (Wench #944) and Marti Krahn (Wench #1956).
My Faire and Wenching background: I have been attending Faires in garb on a regular basis since 1993. I have attended Faires large and small in Colorado, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. I joined IWG in 1995 and have tried to meet and greet fellow guild members wherever I go. I have been amazed at the stellar increase in guild membership in the last few years. I have great faith that Local 34.5 will quickly increase in number and become a strong group of support and friendship for each member. I have served as Arbiter for Local 34.5 for the last two years, and hope to serve as Madame for the next two.
When I think of what a Local Madame should be, I think of a leader, a role model, and an all-around helper. With these characteristics in mind, my goals as Madame for the next two years are:
1) Be a leader. The Local Madame needs to have great strength of will and character to bring the Local together and focused as a group. I will work with Faire Management to promote the Guild and plan activities that will benefit the Local and it’s members. I plan to establish a Local Code of Conduct to keep all activities within the Faire’s PG to light PG-13 rating. We are wenches – flirty and bawdy – but in a subtle way. I will work with the council on enforcing the Order of the Biddy. I would like each wench to be on her best behavior and still have lots of fun!
2) Be a role model. The Local Madame should always put her best foot forward. She should be the role model for the Local and is what potential wenches see as a member of the Guild. Whether that means Walking, participating in activities, or helping out with the Hostel, I’ll be there working just as hard as everyone else and promoting wenchliness throughout the land.
3) Be part of the Local. The Local Madame doesn’t have to come up with all of the ideas and activities. Local 34.5 is packed with wenches full of good ideas. I pledge to be a good sounding board, advisor, and organizer. I propose to have a suggestion box at the Hostel for ideas for charity events, group activities (at and away from Faire), and possible walk targets.
4) Promote the Guild (and all other Lundegaard Guilds). Last year, there was great interest from potential wenches (and Rogues) about the Guild, especially after walks and the noon parade. However, as each member has an opinion of what the Guild is, this can be very confusing. If elected Madame, I would work with Drannan (our IWG PR goddess) and the Little Brown Book to create a business-size card with general information about the Guild and the IWG website address. These can be given to potential wenches to take home to learn more about the Guild.
5) Be available when needed. If elected as Local Madame, I pledge to not work at a shop or be otherwise unavailable during (and before and after) Faire hours. I will do my best to be at all 19 days of Faire next year, but will coordinate with the Local Lt. Madame if one or the other of us needs to be elsewhere. I want to be available to local, visiting, and potential wenches to saunter around the Faire, answer questions, discuss suggestions, participate in events, or just visit. I will do my best to have my proposed schedule at the Hostel for others to meet me, and will find a way to be contacted (subtly) during Faire hours.
6) Help the Local be active outside of Faire. Not only do I have my own ideas for activities, I hope to hear and see plans and ideas from members. I would love to see neighborhood/regional get-togethers and activities of wenches living in the same general area, as well as large events for everyone. The Local can continue to be a strong cohesive group outside of the Faire season.
7) Love the Work. Being Madame of Local of wonderful independent wenches will not be an easy task. But I am ready for the challenge. There will be squabbles and unity, joy and pain, sore feet and hurt feelings. But if we all fully adopt the IWG Creed, I know that Local 34.5 can be great!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.5 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.