PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo enthusiasts...

Lady Gaea
02-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Anyone into tattoos should appreciate this - I got a very bad tattoo years and years ago, when I was young and stupid. (now I'm just stupid. LOL) I didn't do enough research on the person who did it, and it turned out that she was experimenting on me, and the pictures of her work she showed me, were not her work. I've been waiting a long time to get the courage to get it redone, because I knew it would be a very large undertaking and take multiple sittings. I got my belly tattoo from Bret a few years ago, and he's been nagging me ever since to come get the dragon reworked. I went after Xmas and had him do a water dragon and rework the little vine around my ankle, and he talked me into coming back in a month to start reworking the dragon.

We talked about some ideas, and basically I said I wanted a really awesome looking dragon, nothing like Puff or cutesy, and the entire design was up to him, because I've seen his ideas on other people, and he's an amazing artist.

So here's the link to what he came up with:
http://www.bretzarro.com/default.cfm?SiteMenu=ImageGallery&ImageGalleryMenu=ShowPic&PicID=210
He drew the entire thing freehand on my leg before doing the outline, then adding the shading, then adding the skull rocks as an afterthought, because they're more fun than plain rocks. Right now, all that's there is the blackwash work, and I go back in a month for the colour.

I'm so excited to wear shorts again this summer! LOL. Just thought I'd show off a little bit. I'm sooooo happy with how this is coming out! Tattoos are so addictive. :twisted:

Heather

Aries
02-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Sweety that's beautiful!! I can't WAIT to see it finished!! Good luck! And yes...they are very, very addicting.

Guinevere
02-20-2003, 10:56 AM
It looks incredible!

I have a few tats myself, one of them is an unfinished piece by a friend of mine who i just can't seem to nag into finishing it. He did some of it in a hurry so I could have it for Ozzfest, but it's still my favorite.

Gwen

vanessa
02-20-2003, 11:24 AM
He is awesome to overcome the original dragon like that!!!! You are lucky to have such a great artist at hand.... :)

Belladonna
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Hell yeah that's some excellent work. I have two right now, and am waiting for my friend to draw my third. First was a celtic knot with a triple cresent moon super imposed on it. The other is a harp with ivy wrapped around it and with celtic knotwork.

My next one is an angel. Half fallen, half not.

Tink
02-20-2003, 12:57 PM
I like tats...but I'd want it somewhere I could see it and where it wouldn't KILL to get it, so my ankle is out....only other places I like them are small ones on the hip and ones on the lower back.

The hip I'll do if I ever get my belly flat, or else I'll never show it to anyone....LOL

The lower back is so over-done now...(no offense to those who have one there...just seems every chick you see has one there now...) PLUS, I am guessing it hurts getting it there too AND again...I'd not be able to see it without two mirros or contorting myself in ways that, if I was able to manuever...I could make some serious cash as a side-show freak....LOL

Oh...Upper arm or band tats, but in order for me to be happy with it there...I'd have to have super toned arms ala Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, in order to feel i could carry one off. Plus I have freckles on my arm and I think a "blank" canvas is a better background.

Now that I am seriously considering teaching...any tats in a place that shows is OUT.

Soooo, I guess I'll just have to admire everyone else's instead of any of my own.....

AllieSutherland
02-20-2003, 01:57 PM
LOL Tink... when I was doing my student teaching, I dropped a book and bent over to pick it up, and my fourth graders saw my tattoo on my lower back (a Celtic eternity symbol). I won a place in their minds as the "cool" teacher! LOL!!!

That was my main reason for getting my tattoos in hidden places.

However, I also had a close friend in college (in teaching elem. school) that had five piercings in each eyebrow, 2 in mouth, 3 in nose, and 10 up each ear. Much to my (and her) astonishment, the college never said anything to her about it while she did her student teaching. I'm shocked, because they told us everything from how long our skirts should be (two in. below knee) to how much makeup we could wear and not receive a deduction when we were evaluated. Maybe they feared she'd sue (which she planned to do, if confronted).

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

Mairi the Herbwench
02-20-2003, 02:17 PM
I've got one right now - had it for about 15 years, before Celtic knots came into vogue. It's on my lower left abdomen - which is bigger now than it used to be - and I want a second on my back to celebrate 5 years of being cancer free - I'm now, officially, a statistical survivor of melanome - get your skin checked! I want a dragonfly (symbol of long life and health) but I want a Celtic element added to it, and I'm still searching for ideas - any are welcome! The abdomen didn't hurt at all - it's well padded. The area on my back Iwant done is also a bit fleshier than the spine. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to that type of pain...

Tink
02-20-2003, 02:42 PM
I've got one right now - had it for about 15 years, before Celtic knots came into vogue. It's on my lower left abdomen - which is bigger now than it used to be - and I want a second on my back to celebrate 5 years of being cancer free - I'm now, officially, a statistical survivor of melanome - get your skin checked! I want a dragonfly (symbol of long life and health) but I want a Celtic element added to it, and I'm still searching for ideas - any are welcome! The abdomen didn't hurt at all - it's well padded. The area on my back Iwant done is also a bit fleshier than the spine. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to that type of pain...

Congrats on being cancer free!!!

If I ever get one...I'd do something Celtic with Tinkerbell (hence my screen name CelTink...lol) ....something small and feminine....

Ysobelle
02-20-2003, 03:34 PM
I want a dragonfly (symbol of long life and health) but I want a Celtic element added to it, and I'm still searching for ideas - any are welcome!

Well, dragonflies have these beautiful lacework designs in their wings-- what about a dragonfly with Celtic knotwork wings? It's an odd shape, but I bet it could be done.

Lady Gaea
02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Tink - that's why all of my tattoos are on the front of me - I like being able to look at them! LOL!

Ankles suck. I nearly passed out multiple times when I had both my ankles done, and the rework that Bret did was the worst. I was as green as the khaki shirt that I had on. It was terrible! Belly didn't hurt too much, and there are actually spots on the thigh that tickled when he did them!

Mairi - huge congrats on being cancer free! That rocks! *hugs!!*

If you find the right artist, they can pretty much come up with any idea for you. Bret does amazing paintings and scratchboard work, in addition to sculptures, and everything else. He does tattoos so that there are a few more people out there with really *GOOD* work on them, and to fund his other art interests.

Simoriah
02-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Lady Gaea,

GREAT cover up!! I've got one on my back shoulder that I"m considering having something done with...it was crooked when they first put it on and even after one person tried to balance it out, it still looks funky.

I'm thinking of having another tat done...the piercer I go to recommended the artist he goes to and I'm trying to find out if he can do what I want. I'm looking at an Escheresque design that would blend in Celtic knotwork and vines (vine is my Celtic Zodiac sign). I have a good idea what I'd like but since I'm lucky to draw a straight line, it's going to be hard to explain how I'd like it to look. I'm also going to see if he can do something about the one on my back...I got it when I just turned 18 and it's just not me anymore.

Ah, the joys and sorrows of being young! :)

Simoriah

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
02-20-2003, 04:44 PM
As you know, I only have my one tattoo, and my choice of location was mainly because of my corporate environment.

I got a tiny thistle behind my right exterior ankle bone (never was a huge fan of the spot above the ankle -too overdone, and I'm too white to be able to hide it effectively there) when I was in Inverness, Scotland. My best friend, T'artagnon, has several, and I almost broke her hand when I was getting it done (I'm such a wimp!!!)

I love my tatt! After 9/11, I almost got my old building and the twin towers tattooed on me, but wasn't up to it. I know that if I ever get another, it will probably be either a celtic -design loch ness monster that I fell in love with in Scotland, or a small smiling praying mantis -with a male praying mantis' severed head in her hands.

lauradake
02-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Wow--AWESOME rework! You have truly found yourself a talented artist!

I have two--a celtic triskellion on my back, which is *terrible* and needs to be reworked someday... I just need to decide how/what I would like to do. Yeesh.

I got a new one in October--a great orange/yellow/gold keltic knot on my lower belly. Here's a link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lauradake/vwp?.dir=/My+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=My+new+tattoo--November+2002.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/lauradake/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Granted, that's fresh off the needle--so the colors were *super* vibrant.. but it's retained a lot of color. I was rather pleased with the artist... if I ever get around to getting the one on my back redone, I'll probally have him do it.

And yep--that's *right* above you-know-where. (That's my belly button at the top of the photo!) Yep, it hurt like heck. When I get inked, I *insist* on having someone there to hold my hand. I don't care WHO... I just want the physical connection. And to break someone's fingers. ;)

Simoriah
02-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Wow Laura....That IS impressive!! Normally, I'm not a warm color person, but I'd have to say that is some damn good coloring!

Simoriah

lauradake
02-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Yeah--I had originally gone in thinking that I would get it in a rainbow fade... but the artist kinda blanched at that, and suggested the oranges/golds. It's one of those things that I would have never thought of, and I ended up falling in love with. :)

Some spots have up to four layers of color, though... they were pretty tender towrads the end!

-Laura

Annette
02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I can't WAIT to get mine done... a Lotus flower on my upper left breast... where I can hide it or show it off!

I am just looking for a quality yet inexpensive tattoo artist...

Ariyana Dragonwagon
02-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Annette,
Where are you at? If people knew where you are, they may know someone to reccomend...

My brother is a great tattoo artist, in Pensylvania, I would have to check the town name though.. lol

And I have cousins who do great work in Chicago as well... though I heard via a grapevine one may have gone to New York now... but waiting for confirmation lol

Nevada
02-20-2003, 09:51 PM
As soon as I get over the whole idea of purposely putting myself in pain my Rogue said he would pay for my thistle I want on my left thigh...course every time I talk to an artist they dont know what a thistle is..figure when i find one who knows right off..then i will let them do it

DragonShelle
02-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Tattoo's are very habit forming :)

I'm up to 8 :bananada:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/855846693339F12

Hugs,

SelkieDragonbane
02-20-2003, 11:21 PM
yup..it can be done... I have wanted one like that for years ..I found pics and everything.... getting one my shoulder ....legend says if a dragonfly lands on your shoulder....all your dreams will come true ;-)

Robin
02-20-2003, 11:41 PM
That new dragon looks incredible! You'll have to post pictures when it's totally done, so we can see it.

I have a small tattoo on my shoulder. A moon and some stars, I really like it and sometimes forget its there. When I do happen to see it, its like a nice surprise.

I've thought about getting more, but I like spending my money on clothes better. I can change them faster!! :)

Morrigan
02-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Awsome cover job.. can't wait to see it finished....

i have several tat's... i have one on my left chest that i need to get covered... *cries* it's a beautiful water elf... but her face didn't turn out good. So now it's the hunt for the perfect cover up...

Bronya
02-20-2003, 11:59 PM
I have a heart on my left breast with a peace sign inside the heart (from the old days of the 60's) and a sunshine on my shoulder (my daughter's nickname and the song she used to sing over and over and over and over...and yes they can be habit forming, but oh so fun.......

Molly
02-21-2003, 03:46 AM
ohh! i love it! and i totally admire you for getting one that big. i have two, the first was small and painless... and then last year i got a bigger one of the fellowship leaf pin from lord of the rings (yeah, i am a HUGE geek) on my lower back. it about killed me. i was going to get some stuff in elvish done around it, but i've not had the guts to go back yet. :oops: you rock!

Lady Gaea
02-21-2003, 10:11 AM
I think there's something narcotic in the ink, beause they're so addictive! My friend Kerri got a teeny little eighth note on the back of her hip, then sat there while I was on the table for the rest of the day thinking about how to add to it later. Bret said to her, "Welcome to your new addiction." LOL! He's so right!

I have ideas for others, but I think that I'll finish this one first and let my leg, and my bank account, heal for a while!

jillian
02-21-2003, 10:17 AM
I, being untattooed, asked one of my best friends in the whole world how he avoided regretting getting his tattoos or getting tired of the picture itself. His advice was to get the tattoo done at a time in your life when you are happy - either in general or just because of something truly wonderful. That way, even if you get tired of the picture, you won't get tired of the memory.

So, now I'm thinking that I may finally get the tattoo I've wanted for the past six years - a harp - tattooed when I go to Ireland for summer school. As I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on this forum, the harp is the symbol of Ireland - and it's also the symbol of my favorite Marx Brother - (I'm a huge Marx fan!) It will commemorate being 29, free, single, healthy, and far from home.

Yup. Y'all done went and inspired me. Thanks! :snicker:

CelticBombshell
02-21-2003, 10:32 AM
That looks great!

I have 2 and am planning on a third. I have a Blue and gold celtic knot comet on my right back hip and a celtic knot cresent moon on my right calf done in black.

They are soooo addictive. Mine didn't hurt that much after about 10 minutes you start to not feel it. Well except for when they hit the outline that kinda smarts.

Mel

Bathsheba Khandayce
02-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Yes again, Welcome to the madness. I have only one right now but plan on getting more after I have some of my excess skin removed. (weight loss comes with costs). Actually my avatar is a pic of the tiger I have on my left breast. It's done in the Tribal style (no color just the outline) and have it colored in when I go to faire. This was done at NYRF about 3 years ago.

Wench Shaelyn
02-21-2003, 08:36 PM
I don't have one yet but I've finally found a picture of a dragon I really like, I'm waiting a month or two to make sure at that point I still really like it. Plus I'm checking out parlors in my area to find not only a good artist but a very clean place.

Comming from Orlando I'm rather spoiled where they actully have a list for Central Florida of the parlors with the best health code records as well as the wrost and listed compaints about them also.

So since I havent found that up in PA yet, I'm doing as much homework as possible!

Does anyone have one just below they're shoulder blades? How much does that generally sting? I'm trying to figure out an area on my body where I can both show off a tattoo and hide it just as easily. I really like this area but I'm wondering if it's as painful as I know the boney lower back is.

Any opinions on good places for tattoo's from those of you who have them? I might not have thought of a spot yet!

Guinevere
02-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I have tattoos just below my shoulder blades (over my whole back, actually). For me, the more towards the center it goes the more it stings, on the outline-for some reason shading dosen't bother me ever, no matter where it's done. I've had pretty much every common part of me tattooed and some uncommon ones too (being friends with a tattoo artist has it's benefits)! You did say that you thought the lower back hurt, but for me it didn't at all, so I don't know if the shoulders will hurt you or not.

Guinevere

PS.Where in PA are you? My friend who is a tattoo artist actually is from Florida and follows all the health regulations from there in his shop now, maybe you're close enough to go to him!

Molly
02-22-2003, 12:45 AM
i had my first one done on my shoulder blade and it didn't really hurt at all. perhaps a bit of stinging in the begining, but that's it (granted, it's only the size of a quarter, but hey... what you gonna do? :D ) i would so love to get more, if only they were free! :thinking:

Wench Shaelyn
02-23-2003, 10:40 AM
I've been considering someplace on my back I just havent desided the location and my homework has been moving kind of slow since I'm rather new to the area I'm living in.

I'm in the Pocono's, About ten minutes outside of East Stroudsbrug if that helps any! :D

Guinevere
02-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Hm, the place I'd recommend is quite a drive from you but if you're looking for a place with *exacting* health standards, Tattoo Mania in Staten Island is for you. The brothers O'Brien (the three main artists you'd deal with) are all from Florida and had to study and learn the health codes (when they came to New York they laughed at how small the application for a tattoo license was-and the thing was at least 3/4 of an inch thinck). Plus their work is just top-notch, from the moment I met them I just in good conscience could not go anywhere else. I know this sounds like a shameless plug for my friends, and in a way it is, but I honestly and truly believe that area wenches who can get to them would be thrilled with what they get there-I recommend them over anyone else I've been to, and I've been to a *lot* of other places!

Guinevere
The Tattooed Wonder

Annette
02-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Annette,
Where are you at? If people knew where you are, they may know someone to reccomend...

My brother is a great tattoo artist, in Pensylvania, I would have to check the town name though.. lol

I am in Philadelphia...

Ariyana Dragonwagon
02-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Here is my brother's website

http://www.tattooyouii.com/mother.htm

the address is : 2005 Carson Street, Southside phone 412-481-3380

This is SouthSide , philly maybe? or a town named Southside? Used to have a shop in Glassport, but that one is closed

If you go ask for Eric raynes, ( That's my big brother, and tell him His siter, Laura reccomended him)

and for anyone in Chicago, here is my cousin's website

http://www.tattoomonster.com/

1579 North Milwaukee Avenue
Suite 306
Chicago

773-772-1960

My Cousin's are James and Tim Kern... Again tell them they were reccomended by their cousin Laura, whom they have yet to meet! lol

Ysobelle
02-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Here is my brother's website

http://www.tattooyouii.com/mother.htm

the address is : 2005 Carson Street, Southside phone 412-481-3380

This is SouthSide , philly maybe? or a town named Southside? Used to have a shop in Glassport, but that one is closed

That's Pittsburgh! The South Side's pretty cool. Nice place to have a tat parlour.

Ariyana Dragonwagon
02-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks Ysobelle!

I just know my mom's side of the family is all in Pensylvania... some in Altoona, but have never been there as of yet.. someday...

Annette
02-27-2003, 11:47 AM
I have family in pittsburgh. It's conceviable that I would be out there for something other than a tattoo, and just happen to come back with one.

vanessa
02-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Ok, anybody know anyone in the Massachusetts area? We are newly legal for tattoos so there's not a lot of reputation built up around here yet *that I know of*..... I can go the 45+ minutes to the place I got my last one, but I'd rather make it a local drive.... :)