PDA

View Full Version : General Feeling of Unrest

emalia
02-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Is anyone else experincing a general feeling of unrest and waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Bella and I have been talking the past few months about the feeling of general unrest, like something major is about to happen in our little circle of people, but we don't know what. I also overheard two patrons discussing this same issue this weekend at FLaRF. Any ideas? Does anyone else feel that there is some cosmic/karmic/insert what ever here thing is going on?

CelticBombshell
02-26-2003, 02:09 PM
I definatly have that feeling. I don't know if it is the uncarateristicly cold weather here or the whole probably going to war thing but I have been very "poised for fight or flight" lately.

Mel

emalia
02-26-2003, 02:41 PM
It even seems that the War isn't reall part of it for most.. This started in October/November time.

Although, I know that this War thing is stressing the heck out of me.. ugg.. on top of getting ready for festival!

Kylan Navon
02-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Something's been crawling up and down my spine for a while...but I can't put my finger on it. :? I've taken to getting in touch with my ever-widening circle of friends more and more often just to make sure that everyone is ok. They look at me strangely until I explain that I'm a virgo and that's just the way we are. :lol:

Aries
02-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Ok....whew....I'm not the only one.....

I'm a little bit antsy every day lately, find myself watching the news alot more and stuff like that....couldn't tell you if it's concern over what might happen or all that is happening in the world in general.

It feels better knowing I'm not the only one with "concerns".

I'd like to add I wish everyone happiness....and to quote a line from "We're Back"

"Let no bad happen"

Lady Gaea
02-26-2003, 03:24 PM
At least I know now that I'm not alone in that "Hey! Look at the big shoe above my head!" feeling.

I wonder what's in the air....

Heather

emalia
02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
I am not sure what is going on, but it is just plain flat out odd! I also find myself worrying abuot people that I love more than usual, and trying to keep in touch with everyone.

But it truly is something that you just can't place as to the whys, wheres, and whos.... Just acan't figure it out.

Tink
02-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Okay I am either *not* in tune with the karmic cosmos....or it's the fact that I just never worry about stuff until there is a definite reason to do so.

I have no omminous feelings, nor have I had any.

I am quite excited and optomistic about the coming months. Big changes for me....*g* maybe I'm just too self-absorbed right now..... :wink:

PirateKisses
02-26-2003, 05:41 PM
I've had the same feeling. I've been spending as much time as I possibly can with my little girl and with my boyfriend.

There's just a general uneasiness around here in a big way. I've been watching huge planes flying into McConnell AFB for the last two weeks to fuel up before heading to the Gulf. One Friday afternoon, in the span of 2 hours, there were 13 planes that landed. It was really kind of spooky. I know that we've all got friends or family or a friend of a friend who has been called up to go to the Gulf.

So yeah, I keep looking for the "other shoe" to drop. Until then, I'll just keep spending as much quality time with the ones I love the most.

PK

DreaBeth
02-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm with Tink on this one... I don't feel the disturbance in the force right now. (not being funny, but there's no better way to describe it) In the months following 9-11-01 there was definitely an uneasiness in the air that lasted for a long, long time. And it wasn't from the physical things happening... more of a looming something. Anyway... right now I get calm, positive energy from the cosmos. It feels good for a change, actually. I've experienced enough disaster...

Andrea
#1029 (I think)
Merc #400
aka Geneva

vanessa
02-26-2003, 10:32 PM
*shrug* I am one of the millions of women in the US who suffers from anxiety, so I am always getting ominous feelings.....

AllieSutherland
02-26-2003, 11:31 PM
I have been for a while, but I'm also someone that deals with anxiety and depression, so I'm unsure which it might be. Lately, I've had med changes that have helped somewhat with this.

I feel more "sensitive" to things that I'm normally not attuned to... environmental sensitivity and awareness, not the emotional sensitivity (although I'm very much a part of that category, too).

My dog seems to pick it up, though. She doesn't rest easily. She checks on me often, and is more cuddly and "attached" than usual...

I hope it gets better... (((warm hugs)))

XOXOXOX
Allie

Caitriona
02-27-2003, 10:00 AM
I also have the feeling of unrest. But I too suffer from anxiety and depression so it's a daily thing for me. However, it seems to be worse then usual lately. Or maybe it's just all the negative things that have been happening to me and my family since December.

I don't know, I don't understand, I just want it to go away. :grouphug:

Mairi the Herbwench
02-27-2003, 10:50 AM
For me, it's been hard to seperate looming feelings with hype (shades of "Wag the Dog"). I had a coworker come running back all upset because we were on an "orange alert". My response, which she clearly didn't expect, was "so what?" There's so much garbage, rumors, inflation and other stuff going around right now, on top of severe buget cuts in a lot of states, reduction of human services programs, republicans in high places - and the ever present threat of a bad war. ("There is no good war, there is no bad peace." I didn't say it and I forgot who did.)

Live for today, plan for the future. What will come, will come.

daBaroness
02-27-2003, 11:08 AM
I think this is a time of great uncertainty in the world at large right now. I'm sure a good deal of it is that as of 9-11 we in the U.S. lost our sense of untouchability ... and that most assuredly causes malaise. But I think it can be a good thing, too. Maybe it's time we woke up to the pain and suffering others in the world have been experiencing for a very long time. Perhaps it is the beginning of the shaping of a global consciousness of the fact we really are a small community and when one of our parts is in pain, the ripples affect us all. Maybe I'm smoking something - especially with dubble ya on watch ... but I do have to believe good will prevail in the end.

I know I've felt rather uneasy, but I've attributed it to my tendency to be seasonally affected as well as my job layoff last October. But I have incredible faith that when I quit trying to control my situation and let my higher power guide me I always end up in a much better place.

I think there is something we can do - especially as women (natural nurturers and healers) to help in these uncertain times. Extend kindness whenever you can, and especially when you don't feel like it. Smile at a stranger. Exchange pleasantries with someone in the grocery line. Open a door for someone. Let someone merge in front of you on the interstate. Forgive someone a gaffe. Forgive yourself many gaffes. Hug someone. Feel something good. Do ... something good.

Know that kindness is contagious. Love is the only thing that conquers fear - and fear is the root of all evil. Love with all your heart and I guarantee the sun will break the clouds of gloom.

With love,

Wendy

Mairi the Herbwench
02-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Baronness - I bow before you. :bow: What you have said is so true, and so right. Extend a hand, give a smile. Both are free, and will be passed on.

Belladonna
02-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Oh I can most certainly tell you who in my respective 'circles' it's going to affect at this point, and I have my intuitions as to how. My only concern is for the people that I care about being able to overcome the obstacles that lie ahead of them. I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be an observer in all of this, and be there to help 'pick up the pieces' it's not a feeling that i like very well...but something I'm going to have to do.

And Emmie is right, its not about the war, this is personal. We have had quite a few people that we know mention it as well.

AllieSutherland
02-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Well said, Baroness... (((hugs))) Thank you. :)

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

jmthane
02-27-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm paranoid anyway, but yeah, the shoe is up there, the sky is about to fall...

The Pagans I hang around with are noticing it, too. Not much we can do about it except to be wary but keep on doing what we are.

Janelle of Warren
02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
*sigh of relief* Well, at least I know that it's not just me and my particular circle.

For myself, *wry grin* I've been feeling like I have Imelda Marcos' entire shoe collection supended over my head. :roll: I've been waiting for over a month to hear if my class is going to be taken from me, my students spead out amongst 5 other teachers and myself reassigned to a new, more difficult and more stressfull class. :tantrum: Principal keeps pushing back the date for when I will know. Original date of transfer was going to be 3/1, but now it appears nothing will be decided until at least Monday. In the meantime, she's also assigning new students to my present class. :pokepoke:

Elsewhere in our school. we've been playing "musical classrooms" in our school since Sept., due to a space shortage. 5 classes have had to change rooms so far and one is currently in the gym waiting for construction which was supposed to be finished 1/1 to be finished. :tp:

In the meantime, I'm working on my MA in General Ed., and have been perpetually struggling to keep up with deadlines. (But...6 credits finished and a straight A average! :bananada: ) I'm working on relocating to NJ as of next fall, but can't without a job. I keep thinking of things I need to do in my apt. and then think, is it worth it if I may move? What if I can't move? :pweeease:

And, of course, there's that nasty possible war thing. :blech:

I haven't slept well in over a month. :faint:

But...at least I know I'm not alone. Hearing how others here are dealing with the challenges in their lives has helped me to keep perspective. :grouphug:

Hey :idea: ...maybe I can sell all those shoes hanging over my head on ebay?? :lol:

cyd
02-28-2003, 05:37 PM
You know what's been making me uneasy? Everyone else's PANIC. *sigh*

Then again, I live just outside DC.

Two snowflakes get together, and suddenly the stores are out of milk, bread, diapers, kitty litter, and toilet paper. And there is no longer a single shovel nor a container of ice melt to be found. Fortunately, I have both, in spades.

Day after the last alert was issued, the entire home depot couldn't keep plastic sheeting and duct tape in stock. Just in time for me to need them for a project I was working on at the back of my house (leak that needs to be dealt with, but until we can find the time to get a contractor to come out here, plastic sheeting and duct tape will have to do). Bottled water was just plain off the shelves.

WHY DO PEOPLE PANIC LIKE THIS???

This week, I finally got my plastic sheeting. And home depot can't get rid of it fast enough.

Perhaps I'm a fatalist. I just don't believe that duct tape and plastic sheeting is the end-all and be-all of my survival. Then again, I think that the guy in illinois who hermetically sealed his entire house in plastic ala E.T. seems to have forgotten that HE NEEDS TO BREATHE.

I'm waiting for people to suddenly realize this just in time for the gardening supply stores to have a blowout on houseplants.

Then again, I also don't believe that lying in a ditch covering my head is going to save me from a nuclear blast.

When 9-11 happened, I was at work. While there were people running around panicking about how we were in a federal location, I was online newsgathering from Reuters and the AP newswire and relaying it to coworkers so they wouldn't continue to panic. We were sent home shortly after that. I spent the afternoon relaying messages from people in jersey to people in maryland and virginia and vice versa. I had access to both my IM and a cell phone, while a friend in jersey had IM access but no phone access and couldn't get in touch with his aunt in maryland to let her know that all four of his brothers (all NJ firefighters) were all right. I called her up on my cell, and was relaying the messages he sent on IM to her via phone and vice versa. He's only one example, but one of the best ones I have namely because of the predominance of firefighters in his family. I made a mental decision not to panic, and instead turned the energy towards doing something I knew would be helpful to someone.

Got laid off a month later, due to 9-11 (I was a contractor, contract funds get pulled first). Spent two months sending out resumes and then sat down and sewed stuff and packed stuff to move, because I needed to do something constructive (still didn't finish packing in time... *sigh*). But I picked up a job within two months, because I spent a lot of time dropping resumes and finding out where the jobs were. Didn't panic because the job market sucked, just did what I needed to.

However, I'm finding that over the last year, the number of local "panics" that everyone goes into is mentally draining the hell out of me. There's only so long I can go in "just do it" mode. I try to be the person who's being down to earth while everything is up in the air, but the number of times that people have been up in the air hasn't allowed the "down to earth" person a break... I've found myself in the position of having to hold people down WAY too often recently... and it's sucking me dry.

I almost WISH the other shoe would drop already... because while I am NOT running out there buying duct tape and plastic (besides, I'm a scadian, I keep way too much duct tape around the house anyway), I AM trying to hold my own personal circles down... Almost everyone I've been talking to over the last year has felt this ominous shoe in the air...

On the other hand, I'm also not agreeing with how politics are being handled right now... and in my own way, I'm still HOLDING the shoe up there and not allowing it to drop.

Oy. I have had a continuous headache for the last year and a half from this... it's like everyone's "panic button" is in an oversensitive state and they keep hitting them constantly, whether it be two snowflakes in the air or an orange alert. And what's been pissing me off lately is just the general state of panic, period.

Do things where you can. If you can't do anything about it, then don't stress out and panic over it because there's nothing you can do. Instead, go out and do something you know will help. Do something productive. Do something to help someone else. Do something that can establish at least a small level of control over your own world, and in the process help someone else.

Besides, it might help me get rid of this damned headache... *smirk*

Cyd (just happy to be going to D&B's tonight just so she can act like a kid without a care in the world...)