PDA

View Full Version : Well, this pretty much caps the week for me.

Ysobelle
02-27-2003, 09:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/27/rogers.obit/index.html

Mairi the Herbwench
02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
You have to admit, he left a lasting legacy and the newspaper piece was a wonderful tribute. May we all hope to be as loved!

vanessa
02-27-2003, 10:50 AM
:cry:

Bronya
02-27-2003, 11:36 AM
...one of the greatest memories of raising my W.I.T. was our time together watching Sesame Street, then Mister Rogers...for his sappiness and soft spoken voice, his tennis shoes and sweater, Trolley and the lessions he taught, it was a most wonderous time for she and I...his New Neighborhood is lucky to have him now.........

AllieSutherland
02-27-2003, 01:04 PM
:ilu: *raises a glass of Kool-Aid in honor of Mr. Rogers. :)*

XOXOXOX
Allie

Belladonna
02-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah I know. It sucks. Reilly perked up as soon as he heard the tribute on the news today. He's only 6 months. Now, unless they run re-runs (which I hope to Goddess that they do) Reilly wont get to see him. That was one of the things I was looking forward to.

lauradake
02-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Wow... an amazing legacy. I LOVED Mr. Rogers growing up--I hope that they rerun his shows for years to come, so future generations can enjoy him. :)

Pearl_Fox
02-27-2003, 02:29 PM
It was a shock this morning to find out that Mister Rogers was dead. :cry: Growing up I loved watching him, especially all the shows that dealt with the arts in some way. And I loved Angela Darling. He was a great man.

Pico de Gallo
02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah , the man never had a mean bone in his body. Intelligent, spiritual and a great educator. never felt like he was talking down to us kids like some of the Other shows. We'll miss ya Mr. Rogers!

they wanna canonize father Mykal- I say they canonize Fred Rogers for making sme of us decent adults!

Aoife (pronounced E-fah)
02-27-2003, 11:43 PM
This morning when I heard the horrible news of Mister Rodgers death, I started bawling. :wah: I mean really letting the tears flow. I felt as if I had lost my Grandfather all over again.

My 4 y/o son came running to ask me what was the matter. Looking into that young face and having to tell him that "The Nice Man" we watch everyday had died.

My sweet son told me "It's OK mama, he's with God now isn't he?"

Out of the mouths of babes...

God Bless You, Mister Rodgers, you will be sorely missed. :cry:

Riah
02-28-2003, 02:25 AM
NOW it's the end of the era of neighborly kindness.

:stunned: :( :cry: :wah:

:rip: :bow:

Ysobelle
02-28-2003, 02:29 AM
NOW it's the end of the era of neighborly kindness.

Not if we paid attention it isn't.

Riah
02-28-2003, 05:32 AM
I pray to the God and Goddess that we did.

Aries
02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Which raises the question, how many of your neighbors do you know?
How about your mail man's name? Or the paper boy/girl.

My daughter Kim (9) actually cried when I told her this morning...

Molly
02-28-2003, 04:21 PM
i always hated it when my mom would make me watch mr. rogers in the afternoons. but i did, everyday because mom told me i would learn something. and i did. when i found out yesterday morning, i cried for a long time... and felt guilty for all the times i hated watching him. the world's children and all who grew up with him have suffered a great loss today :stunned:

Wench Shaelyn
02-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Mr. Rogers was one of the few people in the world who really was just genuinly kind. I'd met him in Winter Park,FL where his lived at one point years ago.

He'll be missed by everyone who not only watched his show growing up, but they're children and possibly they're children will miss the wonderful man.

May the goddess hold him tight and the sun shine for him everyday.

I did cry when I found out, it was almost hearbreaking. Like you lost a lifelong friend. From what I understand many stations still plan to show the re-runs of the show. Rumors are flying that Idlewild (which is owned by Kennywood out near Pittsburgh) will offer a tribue all summer, they have one of the best rides they're... "A journey into Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and the Land of Make believe".

I'd think some people might take they're children there to show that the legecy of one man's kindness will live on.

cyd
02-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Mr Rogers is already in syndication... he hasn't had a "new" show since 2001. He knew back then, I think. Sometimes people just know.

While I admit I only KNOW one of my neighbors, it's not from lack of trying... when I got married at my house last year, I invited about 20 of my surrounding neighbors to the barbeque afterwards... Two showed up. One of those moved out two weeks later (she'd already had the house up on the market just as we moved in). I talk with my next door neighbor a lot during the summer when we're outside doing yardwork and such, and we kept an eye on their house when they went on vacation... but the rest of the neighbors just never seem to come out...

I think Mr. Rogers was the epitome of "love thy neighbor". And asked all the little kids in the world to be his neighbor, and he would love them.

Please won't you be my neighbor?

Cyd (meow-meow miss mr. rogers meow...)

AllieSutherland
02-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Awww, Cyd, I'd LOVE to be your neighbor! ;) (although, I'd probably be the neighbor you saw TOO much of... the Ethel Mertz type. ;) LOL!!!

BTW, do you know what thinking of Mr. Rogers made me think of today?
Mr. Hooper, and when he died on Sesame Street.

I was a preschooler at that time, but it helped me understand what death was. About a year later, I was about to be forced into one of the hardest lessons about death and dying when my grandfather committed suicide. Even though that was an awful time, I learned that death was not something scary, and that the people you love will ALWAYS live in your heart.

I cried when Mr. Hooper died, but I realized that death isn't dark and gloomy... it's a normal part of life, a part that can be beautiful and calming, and for many people, a step-off to something better.

Also, Mr. Rogers is the only children's programming presenter/educator that I know that carried it off so personally. Most people have to put on a suit or be with cartoon characters or act silly to commune with children (and even adults!). No matter if you think he's goofy, silly, cheesy, whatever, you have to admit... he seemed VERY genuine.

It's hard to think that another war looms, and he isn't here to be a "security blankie," helping children understand that they will be taken care of, and that everyone is scared, but that we will work together to try to take care of one another. I was in eighth grade when the Gulf War started, but his words actually calmed me and helped me feel a little more safe in the midst of uneasiness.

XOXOXOXOX
Allie