PDA

View Full Version : Pilates?

Psyche
03-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Anyone try them?
What do you think?
Did you go to classes or use tapes/DVDs?
Which ones?

Gremco
03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I've tried the Winsor Pilates. They are really nice and really work all the muscles. Winsor Pilates are really nice because it came with two different level workouts and had one person demonstrating an easier method if you don't have the flexibility.

webmistress
03-20-2004, 01:47 AM
My sister teaches Pilates - she really enjoys it, and it seems to give a great overall workout. Its like anything else... it fits perfectly into what some people want from a workout, and not as much for others - but I definately suggest giving it a shot!

Psyche
03-20-2004, 02:44 AM
I have the Winsor Pilates DVDs hiding here somewhere. I have not tried them yet. I got them right before I fractured my hip last spring. Hey... it's been a year now! I haven't even watched them yet. I figured if I did I would want to do them. The doctors said to wait until I had no pain in the hip. Yah... don't think that is ever going to happen. :roll:

So I am thinking about being brave and trying them. I used to love Pilates when I was dancing. But I had an instructor then who monitored everything.

How much luck has everyone had with toning and such? And how do your joints feel afterwards? How about the back?

I think I am just a chicken shit and am afraid I am going to hurt myself again. I have a high pain threshold and don't realize I have hurt myself until it is serious.

Ok... maybe I will try them *after* I go to NCRF. :wink:

Entropy
03-20-2004, 04:49 PM
I have Pilates for Dummies and I like it. I have never tried the Windsor Pilates so it is possible that I don't know what I am missing, but hey, I'm happy.

Tink
03-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I have the Windsor tapes and LOVE them. If you stick to them, you'll see results!

PS....Thank you Alison for this section!!

Psyche
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I am hoping to get the All Clear from the doctor to start Pilates. *crossing fingers and toes*

I was watching my Winsor Pilates DVDs earlier... and breathing. Glad Hubby wasn't home to see me. *laughs*

Mistress Kristi
03-25-2004, 12:49 AM
I love pilates. It is hard as hell and it makes you feel good. but i much prefer classes. I get so annoyed with the people on videos after a while. If i see Billy Blanks again i'm going to scream. I can now do many sit-ups which i couldn't before.

merestelle
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
I just bought a pilates dvd. Haven't watched it yet.
Motivation is a bit of a problem. I can come up with all the excuses.
My newest excuse is there is always someone in front of the TV. which of course isn't exactly true.
I just have get started.

Merestelle

Foxglove2660
08-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I ~love~ pilates. I have a class on sundays at my gym & rarely miss it... although since I'll be working PARF i will be missing three months of it... but I've arranged with the instructor to meet with her at other times during the week, because I can feel the difference with I miss a class... and dragonfly says she's giving me tapes for my birthday... yay!!

Currently I take pilates on sunday, yoga on monday and a core class (abs, obliques & back) on tuesday and/or wednesday. I do my cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and weights on wednesday (if I skip/too late for core) as well as friday & sometimes saturday. I have 4 work out buddies (soon to be 5, maybe).... I've lost 63 pounds to date.

Pilates helps with balance and flexibility as well as I saw an immediate toning of my flabby belly... my much less flabby belly... I love, love, love pilates.

I do suggest an instructor to begin with if possible, expecially if you have problems with you knees, back or neck. And instructor can show you modifications which a tape may or may not do. however, and instructor can also correct your form, which obviously a tape cannot do for you. I do believe that is initially very important, that way you know how the basic forms should feel and are less likely to hurt yourself with the tapes...

I'll have to try the tapes that I'm being given for my birthday & report on them... but initally, I ardently suggest an instructor....

:workout:

Foxglove2660
08-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I ~love~ pilates. I have a class on sundays at my gym & rarely miss it... although since I'll be working PARF i will be missing three months of it... but I've arranged with the instructor to meet with her at other times during the week, because I can feel the difference with I miss a class... and dragonfly says she's giving me tapes for my birthday... yay!!

Currently I take pilates on sunday, yoga on monday and a core class (abs, obliques & back) on tuesday and/or wednesday. I do my cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and weights on wednesday (if I skip/too late for core) as well as friday & sometimes saturday. I have 4 work out buddies (soon to be 5, maybe).... I've lost 63 pounds to date.

Pilates helps with balance and flexibility as well as I saw an immediate toning of my flabby belly... my much less flabby belly... I love, love, love pilates.

I do suggest an instructor to begin with if possible, expecially if you have problems with you knees, back or neck. And instructor can show you modifications which a tape may or may not do. however, and instructor can also correct your form, which obviously a tape cannot do for you. I do believe that is initially very important, that way you know how the basic forms should feel and are less likely to hurt yourself with the tapes...

I'll have to try the tapes that I'm being given for my birthday & report on them... but initally, I ardently suggest an instructor....

:workout:

Lady Laurel
08-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I have been taking pilates for a couple of months on Saturday mornings. I also have been doing Yoga on oxygen channel to.
I love pilates I feel stronger since doing it.

melissabartush
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Pilates is great if you want to tone your muscles (making them long and limber) Pilates does not bulk up your muscles. It's main concentration is on your core (abs, back) and most the time you are not using anything except yourself to work out! Its wonderful!:cheer: