PDA

View Full Version : Bead? Source

Rhia
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
I am trying to find large cabochons that I can make pins out of... and I mean large! like 40mm... the largest I've been able to find is 25mm by 18mm... material is unimportant and it doesn't matter if they have holes or not. Color is also irrelevant as I'm going to decoupage them anyway... I've Googled "cabochons" and even "cameos" (as that's about the size I want) but haven't found anything that large... any suggestions?

Nevada
03-24-2004, 06:35 PM
There is a place called beading dreams on Lover Ln in Dallas...might give them a call

FairieTink
03-24-2004, 06:47 PM
http://www.firemtn.com there catalog is like 2 inches think.. site is a bit odd to look around on but worth it.

Rhia
03-25-2004, 09:05 AM
http://www.firemtn.com there catalog is like 2 inches think.. site is a bit odd to look around on but worth it.

I think that I've found some that will work there, thanks!

Thanks Vada - I'll also see if they have anything on Lovers as I'd love to save the shipping!

ambar
03-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Pioneer Gems is also a good place to try.

sapphireandsage
03-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I'll be adding loose cabs to my website soon, and I have some 40x30mm faceted acrylic stones with foil backing available...what color(s) would you need?

Rhia
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I was hoping for something light/neutral - ivory, pearl, white, tan...
again, decoupage so not much will show (hopefully!)

That's fantastic! I'm much rather buy from a wench than a stranger - and the stuff I've gotten from you thus far has been fabulous! PLEASE let me know when it is available on the site!

sapphireandsage
03-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Hmmm....that might be tough. The only real neutrals that are available to me are jet/onyx and crystal (clear). Pearl isn't make that large, at least from my supplier. Wish it was, but it isn't. :(

If either of those colors will work for you, I can get you a price. If not, I'd suggest keeping an eye on eBay for what you need...you'll find the larger stones (man-made or natural meterials) up for auction from time to time.

Glad you like your jewelry! :)

~Rh

princessarwenundomiel
06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
A well-kept secret among people who make and collect jewelry are gem shows. They're usually put on by lapidary clubs and you can typically find people who specialize in cabochons. Some cabs are really cheap, while others will be quite expensive, and some are real whereas some are man-made or dyed. You can usually find cabs of all kinds of colors/sizes, sometimes for as little as a dollar a cab depending on size/content. You'll probably find stones you've never even heard of as well as the more common varieties. A friend of my family is a lapidary and his wife strings all beads imaginable, so I've been going to a show by me for years. The nice thing about gem shows is that many times you see what the trends are in jewelry before they hit the mainstream stores, and since retail jewelers buy from these shows, the prices are low because there's less markup. A lot of the time, the people selling you the stones have dug them up from the ground personally, so they're also a wealth of information about stones and gemology. Some shows run demonstrations and they're always on the lookout for people to join them, so you can definitely take an interest in gems even further if you like.

Your location says Texas and I'm in IL, so I don't know of any shows there, but there is a big one in Tuscon, AZ. There is also a huge international gem show in Kansas City every year. Not sure of the dates, but you can find them online easily. My suggestion would be to look around in your area for your local lapidary or gemology club. You may have to go to the state level but given the size of Texas, there should be one local to you. They often have small shows of the dealers on special invite from the club (that way you know they're trustworthy, they won't say something is a real color when it's been dyed, etc), but the vast majority of the time you don't have to be a retailer to get in. Most shows are open to the general public and cost 3 to 5 bucks to get in. They're usually a lot of fun even if you don't find anything for your pins.

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com has a listing of larger shows (I believe there are some in the TX area listed), and you can always search looksmart.com under the following categories: Home > Lifestyle > Hobbies > Collecting > Rocks & Minerals > Events & Shows. It may be worth it to check it out.

Hope this helps!

~Arwen

Jeannie Fitzgerald
06-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Your location says Texas and I'm in IL, so I don't know of any shows there, but there is a big one in Tuscon, AZ. ~Arwen

I haven't heard anything about the one in Tucson, but there is a huge one in Quartzsite (on I-10 about 15 miles from the CA border) around January and February. A little late for you now but you might want to keep it in mind for next year. I've been trying to get out there for the past few years (same for Estrella Wars) but, besides AzRF, something keeps coming up.

You might try Quartzsite and gem for search words and see if anything turns up.