PDA

View Full Version : BARONESS!!!!!

Tink
03-03-2003, 09:12 PM
I have found our new Monday night fodder.....Married by America. Lord help me, but until this weather breaks and the days get longer I may actually be able to stomach watching this just to keep me amused while stuck indoors... :shock:

It is RIDICULOUS!!! 9pm baby....LOL

AllieSutherland
03-04-2003, 12:24 AM
:shock:

My mom was over, and we were flipping channels. I can't believe it. Then again, I can't believe Russian mail-order brides, etc.

Gals, do you remember the couple that got married at the Mall of America and didn't know each other (the groom's family and friends chose the "bride") in 1998? It made me wonder what happened to them. I won't spoil it, but I'll post the link here.

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stories/022401/fam_0224010009.shtml

Of course, this was in 2001, and I can't find any more recent info about them.

I will have to say, though... in many of our own families, our great-grandmothers (and even my own grandmother) had arranged marriages. They seemed to work out and they loved each other... and we all know it happens often in other cultures.

*shakes head* I'm just not sure it'd be for me, though...

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

Nevada
03-04-2003, 09:58 AM
My Rogue actually had it turned on when I got home from work...he said it was the only thing on....it kind of reminded me of the mass wedding the Moonies had way back....where there religious leader matched everyone up and married them all at once...wonder if any of those marriages worked out

Tink
03-04-2003, 10:03 AM
It will be interesting to see how these 3 matches work out.

I know I could never do an arranged marriage, but again I'm not from a culture where that is normal.

I think on this scale, it makes it all seem like a game show and degrades the value of marriage. A problem that is all too rampant in the U.S. today. People seem to have taken the attitude that marriage isn't a big step because if things don't work out they can just divorce. It is just *way* too easy. No one seems to want to work at a marriage anymore. Not surprisng that 50-60% of marriages fail every year..... :roll:

I do think the concept of involving friends and family in the selection process does have merit. Often they know who would be a good match for you, better than you. And they can seperate out the not-so important things we all tend to use as triggers for why we gravitate to or away from others....

daBaroness
03-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey Tink - I caught a snippet or two of the show and I think you're right - until fairer weather arrives, we've found our new Monday night thing.

Yanno girls, it wasn't until the mid-19th century that folks began choosing their own spouses. The concept of romantic love wasn't a practical consideration until that time. Marriages were arranged purely on business-like principles and women were just another bargaining chip in the marriage package.

Arranged marriages still make up about 40 percent of the marriages in the world - mostly in third world and/or Muslim countries, and still for the same old world, pratical reasons they've always been arranged - advancement of social status and wealth, and pepetuation of the gene pool.

Personally, despite the 50 percent divorce rate in this country, I'm glad women have the right to choose who they'll marry. I think if men and women would just take more time to get to know their prospective partner and made better choices about marriage in general, the divorce rate would go down considerably. In many ways, the whole concept of romantic love gets in the way of making good, practical decisions about a partner, which in the end, is why some marriages are good and endure, and some are bad and hopefully don't endure.

I guess letting the viewing public choose a prospective mate isn't any more insane than choosing someone you might randomly meet. So let the games begin!

daBaroness

Tink
03-04-2003, 02:40 PM
I have to say given my horrible luck with men....I can understand why someone would do something like this....

Doesn't mean I'd actually do it myself, mind you...I just understand... :lol:

I would much prefer to meet someone through friends or family, than just having to go hunting solo, but of course no one I know knows any eligible/suitable men.....sigh..... :?

daBaroness
03-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Tink - rest assured, were I a man (and I mighty fine man I'd be), you'd be first on my list. Course no one appreciates a smart, sassy, fun, passionate, compassionate, redhead like another one, eh? Hey - we can start our own mutual admiration society!!!!

dB

Nevada
03-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Also men who say they want an honest woman and then run like hell when you are....so far my Rogue appreciates the honesty..he may not like it but he appreciates it...

Tink
03-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Tink - rest assured, were I a man (and I mighty fine man I'd be), you'd be first on my list. Course no one appreciates a smart, sassy, fun, passionate, compassionate, redhead like another one, eh? Hey - we can start our own mutual admiration society!!!!

dB

Sign me up sista-friend....admiration is, to me, certainly right up there with immitation as being the highest form of flattery.... Therefore, *mutual* admiration must at least doubly elevate us!! Get those pedestals ready for us minions!!! :lol:

Sigh....'tis so sad for those who are *not* redheads.... :wink:

And you non-reds...don't get bent...I'm just funnin' with ya!!!

PirateKisses
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
You Laides have got to watch The Family! I saw the first episode tonight and it was pretty funny. It's an Italian family that's been thrown together in a mansion with servants who are acting as the Board of Directors, although the Family doesn't know it. The Board are the ones who make all the decisions about who stays and goes. George Hamilton is the Host on this one. And he's pretty funny!

PK

Tink
03-05-2003, 11:27 AM
I was going to post about that very show PK!!

I had no idea the show existed, was just flipping and came across it. It is rather amusing.

I really like the fact that the people cutting them are the staff and the family has NO clue..... :lol:

AllieSutherland
03-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I think that the MOST refreshing dose of reality was delivered when I was flipping channels last night, and I also saw a snippet of this show...

It seems George Hamilton FINALLY realizes how to achieve his too-much-tan look WITHOUT the fake orange glow of bad self-tanner. ;) :twisted:
Someone clued him in that the Chee-to look just isn't right! ;)

XOXOXOXOXOX
Allie

Tink
03-05-2003, 02:16 PM
George Hamilton makes this show funy just because he acts like it's all sooooo serious. Like when he was handed the board's decision on who was booted. He said, "Ok, I'll inform the family" as if he was going to tell them someone died.... :lol:

Is he serious or did they tell him to act that way? It is a howl!!

AllieSutherland
03-05-2003, 04:07 PM
:hmm:

I chalk it up to him being a REALLY bad, VERY cheesy actor.

Chee-to man.... I'm bad. ;) LOL!!!

The best acting he ever did was in the Lipton Dinner commercial where he was the child of Mr. T and Loni Anderson, and Mary-Lou Retton's brother.

:rotfl:

XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Allie

daBaroness
03-05-2003, 07:10 PM
I caught some of da family, too. My boys are like, "is this the mafia family or what?!" And ya just gotta love George - he's the original cheesy poof!!!

Tink - I think PK would readily agree with the comments about redheads ... she's one of the true original wedheaded wenches!!! Great new pic, btw PK - you're fabulous!

OK - new thought ... mutual admiration society = redheads? Mayhaps we develop a redheaded "local" ... we'll call it the BIG RED 1!!!!!

We'd need copper pins!!!!!

dB

daBaroness
03-05-2003, 07:14 PM
ooooo oooooo ooooooo

a totally new pin ... a copper 1 between two BIG boobs?

(@)1(@)

:bananada: :lumpy: :bow: :stunned:

PirateKisses
03-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Why thank you, Baroness! Glad you like the new pic. It's great when the boyfriend is also a photographer. That was one of my Christmas prezzies. He did a photo shoot for me, Rhiannon and Mum. The pix turned out great!

Allie- Cheeto Man....that is soooooo funny! I am so going to have to tell one of the goils at work that one! She hates George of the Perpetual Tan!

PK

Tink
03-07-2003, 10:32 AM
ooooo oooooo ooooooo

a totally new pin ... a copper 1 between two BIG boobs?

(@)1(@)

:bananada: :lumpy: :bow: :stunned:

Ah geez...another branch off guild? :lol:

Guess I can never go blonde again or else you gals will oust me :shock:

As for George...I Liked him in "Love at First Bite" ( I actually had a HUGE crush on him when it came out...mind you I was like 7....)

Tempest_Gypsy
03-07-2003, 10:04 PM
OK - new thought ... mutual admiration society = redheads? Mayhaps we develop a redheaded "local" ... we'll call it the BIG RED 1!!!!!

We'd need copper pins!!!!!

dB

I would completely be in on that! Woot!!!! What a great idea, Baroness!

AllieSutherland
03-08-2003, 04:54 PM
I was flipping channels last night, and they advertised that on Monday, on one of the Access Hollywood or Extra type shows, they will *reveal* (ooh, ahhhh) about how one of the girls on "Married by America" IS STILL MARRIED.

:faint:

You think that Fox might learn to start doing background checks...

XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Allie