PDA

View Full Version : Tarot question

Kylan Navon
03-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know the significance of a figure in the card having one foot in water and one foot on land? Temperance, for example as well as The Star have this...at least in the Robin Wood deck. Thanks in advance. :wink:

Ysobelle
03-06-2003, 01:38 PM
I would imagine it indicates an ability to function in two worlds, or to be a bridge between them. That's odd, though-- in all my decks, The Star is standing in water, I believe. I can't remembed Temperance, though I think she's standing on land, pouring water.

Hmmmm.

Do you have any other decks?

Tempest_Gypsy
03-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I also have the Robin Wood deck, and I love it. I never drew that connection between Temperance and the Star, though.
I think on Temperance it's just another way to demonstrate balance between two extremes. However, on The Star I think it might have more to do with the intuitive power of water. Or, I think the idea of beng able to operate in two worlds at once is another very good one. Or a willingness to work in a space that's not the normal way one works (on the dry ground).
In The Star it seems a rather fearless and unconcious pose as opposed to Temperance where I get the impression that it's VERY self-concious. Rather bludgeoning the reader over the head with the idea of balance, don't you think?

Kylan Navon
03-07-2003, 11:25 PM
It seems like it. :) Unfortunately, I just balanced the front end of my car into the back end of another. *sigh* Will have to reflect on this whole balance thing..though I'm fairly certain it has to do with my 'work' life taking more time than my 'home' life.

Thanks, girls!

jmthane
03-08-2003, 03:03 PM
In "The Robin Wood Tarot - The Book", which Robin wrote after figuring out that no one was going to do it for her (see her website at http://www.robinwood.com), Temperance "stands with one foot on land to show that he is firmly grounded in reality" and the "other foot is in the water to show that he is also established in the unconscious". (Note also that he is not only established in earth and water, but also air (the wings) and fire (the sun, represented by the headpiece he's wearing).) Same reasoning for the maiden portrayed in The Star.

In my primary deck, "The Greenwood Tarot", The Star is known as The Pole Star, and is shown as the star shining down on the Earth, showing both land and water. In this deck, Temperance is known as Balance, and a vastly different design, but it still shows establishment in earth, water, fire, and air.

Isabella
03-15-2003, 03:48 AM
If a person/animal is standing in water and on the earth it means they are residing in two realms.

Water if seen as the ocean usually means a femine aspect, or the aspect of the "other World", afterlife.

The earth can be seen as the male aspect in this instance.

So it's kinda of a Yin Yang ideal here. A balance of two worlds, and two types of energy. Most conder earth energy to be male, and female energy to being the psychic energy.

You usually see this also in the High Priestess card, where she is holding a sword pointed up, or a bowl. Sometimes she is seen with half the card as black and the other as white. Depends on the deck. That's how I know how to translate it.

Temperance usually is a "hope" card, from some decks I've had. I'd have to look at my deck now to tell what what the one means.

I hope that helped some.

~EV~

ShawnMarie
04-21-2003, 09:36 PM
I checked my deck also and what was said about a person having connections in both the physical and psychic planes is the essence of the Temperance card. My deck shows a woman with her foot in the water and the other on stone.

My Star card shows a man and his horse in a similar fashion.

ShawnMarie
Drawing a blank on witty siggy lines tonight