PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Fforde

pngwnmama
08-03-2004, 12:21 AM
So has anyone else read this great series by Fforde? The 4th one came out this week

The series takes place in a an alternate reality where our heroine, Tuesday Next, investigates literary crimes (ie. characters step out of or step into a book and wreak havoc!). It's downright hysterical and mind-bending. If you love classic lit, this is a must read!!

pngwnmama
08-03-2004, 12:21 AM
So has anyone else read this great series by Fforde? The 4th one came out this week

The series takes place in a an alternate reality where our heroine, Tuesday Next, investigates literary crimes (ie. characters step out of or step into a book and wreak havoc!). It's downright hysterical and mind-bending. If you love classic lit, this is a must read!!

I'Cin
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Three, soon to be four I suspect, of my favorite books. Brush up on puns, sayings ("Chalk and Cheese") and classic literature though to keep up. :D And I have very bad habit of not reading footnotes until I get to the bottom of the page. I had to stop that; I was very confused for a bit until I figured it out.

I think I did actually post a similar question, but I think you and I may be it.

I'Cin

I'Cin
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Three, soon to be four I suspect, of my favorite books. Brush up on puns, sayings ("Chalk and Cheese") and classic literature though to keep up. :D And I have very bad habit of not reading footnotes until I get to the bottom of the page. I had to stop that; I was very confused for a bit until I figured it out.

I think I did actually post a similar question, but I think you and I may be it.

I'Cin

Ysobelle
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh, no-- sign me up!

Betty, can I buy the first one through you?

Ysobelle
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh, no-- sign me up!

Betty, can I buy the first one through you?

pngwnmama
08-05-2004, 12:13 AM
It's in paperback. Let me know when.

pngwnmama
08-05-2004, 12:13 AM
It's in paperback. Let me know when.

Ysobelle
08-05-2004, 12:14 AM
NOW!

I'm a desperate woman!

Ysobelle
08-05-2004, 12:14 AM
NOW!

I'm a desperate woman!

I'Cin
08-27-2004, 03:42 PM
So Betty, did you read #4? How'd you like it?

Cindy

pngwnmama
08-31-2004, 01:43 AM
About a third of the way through it. I like the direction it is going in so far, but am disappointed by some of the relationships that aren't developing. What did you think!

Ysobelle
08-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Poke!

I still want one!

I'Cin
08-31-2004, 10:57 AM
I'll wait till you're done Betty, don't want to influence you.

Darling Nikki, if I can get mine back from a friend here at work, I'll send them home with Sean this weekend - as a loan. Oh, darn, that means I'll have to either come back to PARF or meet you in Philly, or have you come to DC to get them back . . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'Cin

pngwnmama
08-31-2004, 10:59 AM
I will pick up the 1st one for you this week from my store, Nikki.

Ysobelle
08-31-2004, 11:02 AM
I'Cin, Betty-- have I mentioned lately how much I love you girls?

I'Cin, you WILL send him back in one piece, right? Mostly? And with that wolf's-head tankard strap, preferably?

Morte
08-31-2004, 06:31 PM
oooh those sound good i will ahve to chekc them out!

thanks for the reccomendation!

I'Cin
09-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Morte, they are enjoyable books. Hope you like them.

And now, for more thread jacking - - - - -

Y, you know I'll send him back ship-shape and Bristol fashion. And is the tankard strap something he has, or something he's supposed to obtain?

Oh, talking to Heather about this weekend she mentioned that she would have to do some homework and then was put out when I said that's okay, I'll take him out to a bar or two while she's working. I pointed out it would work well, she can't get in any of the places I go after 10:00, she needs to get work done, he needs to be safely amused while she does it. She still wasn't quite convinced. :D

I'Cin

Ysobelle
09-01-2004, 11:16 AM
She's a smart girl-- she'll get it. Say hi to her for me! And the strap is one he's looking for for me. Black leather with a thin cord going around a wolf or fox's head pewter button. I WILL find one if I have to send minions to the corners of the earth! Muhahha!

Er...anyway.

So. Read any good books lately?

I'Cin
09-01-2004, 11:58 AM
I think I know the strap you're looking for - and it may be available at MDRF and if I can remember which shop its in I'll send him to it . . . . If I can't and he doesn't stumble across it, I'll see if I can find it for you. I know I've seen them, just can't remember where. I have a friend who's a wolf and I think I was looking at it for her but bought her a, wait a minute, was it at GARF?, oh bought her a checkbook cover with a wolf head on it. I'm not doing well with complete sentences today. :lol:

I'm always reading at least one good book, and occasionally a couple of bad ones, usually all a tthe same time.
Just finished re-reading Heinlein's "To Sail Beyond the Sunset" or something like that.
I'm currently re-reading Wodehouse "The Code of the Woosters".
Also just finished a bunch of "Aunt Dimity" books, and a couple of other "Woosters".
Also currently reading "A River Runs Through It" and "Cold Mountain"
Also just finished several Catherine Coulter books

I need a twelve step program - Hi, My Name Is Cindy and I'm a Book-a-holic. Would claim to be a bibliophile but that puts too good a face on an otherwise turning-ugly vice.

I just filled up a 6 ft bookcase with just the paperbacks - stacked four across and two deep. Not sure what I'll do with the hard covers. And this is after I weeded out and kept only the ones I absolutely had to. HELP

I'Cin