PDA

View Full Version : Costume regs for tux

Will Tessa
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
hey all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the coustume regs are for employess of the tux faire. I have someone in the booth that is going to be working and I'm not sure if her costume is going to be ok or not. Does anyone know?

Will Tessa
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
hey all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the coustume regs are for employess of the tux faire. I have someone in the booth that is going to be working and I'm not sure if her costume is going to be ok or not. Does anyone know?

Tink
08-04-2004, 05:08 PM

The usual guides are...no royal colors...red, dark blue/green, purple. Not too much black either. A piece is ok, but most working class couldn't afford to die things dark enough to own black. Go with earth tones.

All workers must wear some sort of head covering. Women must be in skirts, long chemises. No bodices without a shirt.

No belly dancing costumes.

Tink
08-04-2004, 05:08 PM

The usual guides are...no royal colors...red, dark blue/green, purple. Not too much black either. A piece is ok, but most working class couldn't afford to die things dark enough to own black. Go with earth tones.

All workers must wear some sort of head covering. Women must be in skirts, long chemises. No bodices without a shirt.

No belly dancing costumes.

Will Tessa
08-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks, Tink. You hit the nail on the head with the belly dancing call. I really appreciate it.

Will Tessa
08-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks, Tink. You hit the nail on the head with the belly dancing call. I really appreciate it.

Alianne
08-04-2004, 06:14 PM
I think the only exception to anything close to the belly dancer look is for the girls who do the henna painting....and even then, they're more modest in their look. Some of the employees on Mystic Way appear to look more 'Middle Eastern/Gypsy' in their garb, but it's in line with much of what they do and are more gypsy-ish in their working persona.

Alianne
08-04-2004, 06:14 PM
I think the only exception to anything close to the belly dancer look is for the girls who do the henna painting....and even then, they're more modest in their look. Some of the employees on Mystic Way appear to look more 'Middle Eastern/Gypsy' in their garb, but it's in line with much of what they do and are more gypsy-ish in their working persona.

Tink
08-04-2004, 06:53 PM

I know in lagnuage class this past Saturday, Bethany from Fellowship who taught it said that in regards to some middle-eastern type garb...gypsies or some such, if you wear it be able to back it up...like would what you sell or do at faire be done so by merchants from such a land? Did they exist in the 1500's? If you can back it up, you can usually get the ok to go with it.

Traditional belly dancing outfits, are just "too much skin" though.

The kadesia (sp?) outfits like the ones sold at Moresca can be gotten away with, as they are much more modest. BUT, I'd double check with Chris DeTroy or the office for a definite answer on them.

Tink
08-04-2004, 06:53 PM

I know in lagnuage class this past Saturday, Bethany from Fellowship who taught it said that in regards to some middle-eastern type garb...gypsies or some such, if you wear it be able to back it up...like would what you sell or do at faire be done so by merchants from such a land? Did they exist in the 1500's? If you can back it up, you can usually get the ok to go with it.

Traditional belly dancing outfits, are just "too much skin" though.

The kadesia (sp?) outfits like the ones sold at Moresca can be gotten away with, as they are much more modest. BUT, I'd double check with Chris DeTroy or the office for a definite answer on them.

Dmitri
08-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Like tink says, back it up... I have issues with Scots wearing dew rags...

Gypsies SHOULD NOT DRESS AS BELLY DANCERS!!!! Romani women, on the whole were quite modest, especially in the presence of gajÚ.

On the other hand, Chris is pushing the fantasy thing as well. The Faire's By-line is:

Where Fantasy is King!

Don't go making that Plane-touched Genasi Assassin you play in your weeklt D&D game. But Peter Jackson showed us how to do fantasy 'realistically...

Remember, if your having fun the PATRON is having fun...

Dmitri
08-05-2004, 08:56 AM

Gypsies SHOULD NOT DRESS AS BELLY DANCERS!!!! Romani women, on the whole were quite modest, especially in the presence of gajÚ.

On the other hand, Chris is pushing the fantasy thing as well. The Faire's By-line is:

Where Fantasy is King!

Don't go making that Plane-touched Genasi Assassin you play in your weeklt D&D game. But Peter Jackson showed us how to do fantasy 'realistically...

Caitriona
08-05-2004, 10:05 AM

Some do that for other reasons that what are directly evident :wink: If you catch my meaning.

Caitriona
08-05-2004, 10:05 AM

Some do that for other reasons that what are directly evident :wink: If you catch my meaning.

Tink
08-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Jim does that and his back-up is...he doesn't want the sweat pouring into his eyes. Can't help the patrons, if you can't see... :wink:

Normally he also wears a hat over it though.

And no he *doesn't* wear one for *that* reason. :lol:

Tink
08-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Jim does that and his back-up is...he doesn't want the sweat pouring into his eyes. Can't help the patrons, if you can't see... :wink:

Normally he also wears a hat over it though.

And no he *doesn't* wear one for *that* reason. :lol:

PriestesM
08-05-2004, 12:43 PM

You are 100% correct that belly dancing costumes are inappropriate for Romani women, historically speaking her clothing depended greatly on which clan or family, what the woman's marital status was, and how she was involved in "earning their living"...remember with as much as they traveled, and how they where influenced by the cultures where they went, there where some very great differences in clothing.

PriestesM
08-05-2004, 12:43 PM

You are 100% correct that belly dancing costumes are inappropriate for Romani women, historically speaking her clothing depended greatly on which clan or family, what the woman's marital status was, and how she was involved in "earning their living"...remember with as much as they traveled, and how they where influenced by the cultures where they went, there where some very great differences in clothing.

biker
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM

Whats with the :wink: ?? what ya trying to say???? :lol:

biker
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM

Tink
08-05-2004, 01:32 PM

Nothing Biker dear...we all know your, um haircut...is due to being active military.... :snicker:

Tink
08-05-2004, 01:32 PM

Nothing Biker dear...we all know your, um haircut...is due to being active military.... :snicker:

biker
08-05-2004, 01:42 PM

I WIL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I HAVENT CUT MY HAIR IN 5 DAYS!!!!!! according to the house wench I now have dreadlocks. :shock: :lol:

biker
08-05-2004, 01:42 PM

I WIL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I HAVENT CUT MY HAIR IN 5 DAYS!!!!!! according to the house wench I now have dreadlocks. :shock: :lol:

Tink
08-05-2004, 03:19 PM

Awww...geez, the poor woman is going blind? Damn shame....

Tink
08-05-2004, 03:19 PM

Awww...geez, the poor woman is going blind? Damn shame....

BlueSilkRibbon
08-05-2004, 04:00 PM

Where Fantasy is King!

i would say the technology required to tie a cloth around ones head to prevent sweat in the eyes or ahem...sunburn. was probably available to the Scots of the 16th century.

just my 2p.

BlueSilkRibbon
08-05-2004, 04:00 PM

Where Fantasy is King!

i would say the technology required to tie a cloth around ones head to prevent sweat in the eyes or ahem...sunburn. was probably available to the Scots of the 16th century.

just my 2p.

Dmitri
08-05-2004, 04:13 PM

just my 2p.

No Doubt. But they didn't, culturally.

The technology required too construct the pyramids existed too... But there's no 300foot+ high Robert the Bruce tomb either...

Dmitri
08-05-2004, 04:13 PM

just my 2p.

The technology required too construct the pyramids existed too... But there's no 300foot+ high Robert the Bruce tomb either...

Will Tessa
08-05-2004, 04:20 PM
well, the girl in question had a belly dancing outfit that, while pretty, is a little too much skin for a booth worker. The only time i've seen people be able to wear things like that are if they work for a place like Milestone , where they wear what they sell. But now that we got to talking about it, does anyone know where I can find more books on the romanii women? I'm really interested in learning some more stuff.

Will Tessa
08-05-2004, 04:20 PM
well, the girl in question had a belly dancing outfit that, while pretty, is a little too much skin for a booth worker. The only time i've seen people be able to wear things like that are if they work for a place like Milestone , where they wear what they sell. But now that we got to talking about it, does anyone know where I can find more books on the romanii women? I'm really interested in learning some more stuff.

BlueSilkRibbon
08-05-2004, 04:59 PM

just my 2p.

Ya know, much as I tried not to laugh...

BlueSilkRibbon
08-05-2004, 04:59 PM

just my 2p.

Ya know, much as I tried not to laugh...

PriestesM
08-05-2004, 05:02 PM
There's a great website (www.romani.org) that gives some good basics on the Romani people and history, and their bibliography is pretty extensive.

PriestesM
08-05-2004, 05:02 PM
There's a great website (www.romani.org) that gives some good basics on the Romani people and history, and their bibliography is pretty extensive.

Will Tessa
08-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Great! Thanks! I can't wait to see whats on it later tonight. I'm always interested in learning something new... :D

Will Tessa
08-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Great! Thanks! I can't wait to see whats on it later tonight. I'm always interested in learning something new... :D

Dmitri
08-09-2004, 10:39 AM

The Patrin Web journal is also very good...

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5121/

Dmitri
08-09-2004, 10:39 AM

The Patrin Web journal is also very good...

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5121/

Saphyne
08-09-2004, 11:23 AM

Damn. I completely forgot tot talk to you about this this past weekend, and now I won't be back on site for 2 weeks. If I can catch you at a rare moment of free-ish time, I'd like to pick your brain about the correct way to be a gypsy woman.

Its funny - I was never interested in doing Romani - until I found that it is the only accent I can come remotely close to - and I mean remotely. But, if it works, it works!

Saphyne
08-09-2004, 11:23 AM

Damn. I completely forgot tot talk to you about this this past weekend, and now I won't be back on site for 2 weeks. If I can catch you at a rare moment of free-ish time, I'd like to pick your brain about the correct way to be a gypsy woman.

Its funny - I was never interested in doing Romani - until I found that it is the only accent I can come remotely close to - and I mean remotely. But, if it works, it works!

Dmitri
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
The Rom are a fascinating people. My Dmitri persona is based loosely on eastern european/slavic/roumanian gypsies. (Vladescu is a typical Roumanian last name.) I beleive that would be the Kalderash Nation.

The Rom passed through many lands coming from India in the late 9th century and were persecuted, murdered and enslaved by many of the countries they travelled thru, hence their distrust of non-gypsies (gajÚ, gadzo, giorgio, etc.)

The reason I say Dmitri is LOOSELY based is that I like to portray the best of romani life. Not the paranoia that these people muct have felt in the time frame in which we play... Course Dmiti has alot of fantasy elements in him too...

Search on Gypsies, or Romani should get you what you need but we can talk when you come back from Pennsic Doll...

Sastimos!

Dmitri
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
The Rom are a fascinating people. My Dmitri persona is based loosely on eastern european/slavic/roumanian gypsies. (Vladescu is a typical Roumanian last name.) I beleive that would be the Kalderash Nation.

The Rom passed through many lands coming from India in the late 9th century and were persecuted, murdered and enslaved by many of the countries they travelled thru, hence their distrust of non-gypsies (gajÚ, gadzo, giorgio, etc.)

The reason I say Dmitri is LOOSELY based is that I like to portray the best of romani life. Not the paranoia that these people muct have felt in the time frame in which we play... Course Dmiti has alot of fantasy elements in him too...

Search on Gypsies, or Romani should get you what you need but we can talk when you come back from Pennsic Doll...

Sastimos!