PDA

View Full Version : Art critics anyone?

Alchemist23
08-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if this is the correct forum for posting any art I want you all to tear apart...especially my new sculpture work. (I am really new to 3D, but I think I am falling in love with it.)

I am in need of feedback outside of the academic institution critiques I get.

Let me know. :D

Eric McTavish
08-26-2004, 03:59 PM
As an "ex" fine artist (I work of a living now LOL) I would love to see your stuff!

Isabelle Warwicke
08-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes, ths would be the place for that sort of thing. It is something you "crafted" right? Then you are all good. Post links to pics and we'll let you know what we think. We're good at that.

Alchemist23
08-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Ex-Fine artist? Don't make me cry Eric, have we lost yet another one?

OH yes, Isabelle, I know ya'll are good at that. :wink:

Eric McTavish
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
NO Im not "lost" just found I like eating on a regualr basis!!! LOL
I do multimedia animations and graphics for a Goverment Contracting firm, I studied (Double major) in Fine arts and Illustration, I may work for "corprate" but it pays for my own stuido where I "work" for myself!

Alchemist23
08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Ah, you are still working...good. I feel better now.

Leela
09-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Heya!

First off, I really like the painting of your cabbage um...radicchio (this isn't coming out right at all) :lol: You obviously have a strong eye and appreciation of shape and color.

I also liked your drawing, Suflowers. And I completely relate to the whole working till your ill scenario...only in my case, it was over a black and white modular design (16 panels in all) that I HAD to base on a Celtic knot pattern. I nearly passed out in the critique! Never again.

But I digress.

There's some nice sensitive work in Chiam Potock, though I think the forehead loses a bit of form on the left side.

I like your mark making in your drawing studies, and your anatomy has definately developed over the years (based on what you have posted)...it's an ongoing relationship, this seeing thing. Still working on it meself. Like what your seeing, though (the parking lot)...for me it's been laudromats, though any decaying industrial object will send me off into raptures...particularly if the lighting is right!

Now, as for the sculptures.
I'm going to reserve most comments other than I like the thumb against the cheek (It's All in Your Head), and I'd love to see the rest of that hand! The first thing you need to do is get a neutral, flat backgroud for these...a light grey sheet or poster board at 50% would be good. Then get some cheap metal dome lights to eliminate shadows when you take your pictures. Then give yourself a bit more distance between you and your subject, if possible. The major thing is, play around with those lights till you find the angles that define the best and distort the least. Use white foam core or heavy weight paper to diffuse the light if you need to. Take shots of more than one angle.

I know how tricky it is to get good photos of your work...it's expensive as hell to get it professionally done. So I've settled for shots I've taken myself, some with better results than others. But I dont have a keen website like you do...yet. (Any hints in this regard I would SO appreciate) :wink:

If you have the wall space to set up your lights at least the width of your painting away on either side, and tripod to set up far enough away to get the entire image (getting a straight shot by using the broomstick method is what works for me...after you hang your painting on the wall, find the exact center, mark the height on the broomstick with a pencil, then set your tripod to the same height) go for it. You'll save a ton of money. Just be sure to use Tungsten bulbs in your lights.
Otherwise, you have to resort to good weather (a bright but overcast day) and the great outdoors with a nice grey sheet as your backdrop.

Sorry, didn't mean to give a whole textbook on photographing artwork...it kind of ran away with itself...

Anyways, Your PRODUCING. That, ultimately is what marks the working artist. So congratulations!
I'd love to see what you do next!

Cheers,

Alchemist23
09-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Oh, Leela, if you know what kind of hell I go through trying to take pictures!

I HATE taking photographs anyway, even the fun kind...and everything on my website has been skewed to some extent...err. (I think that might be some of the prob with Chiam) I guess that is the fault of having a 30 dollar digital camera and bad software.

I might as well start saving now for a professional...I do have a couple of friends.

By the way, thanks for actually looking through my website. I have told friends about it, but even my mom doesn't care to look at it. LOL, isn't that sad? I mean, I know it is nothing special...

I'd love to see some of your work up. If I can put together a website you can. I did it the old fashioned way with Html codes...pain in the neck, but at least you have it up right!?

:O)

Leela
09-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey, don't knock your accomplishments. You did the work and got your website up. That's GOOD. I also like the header font...haven't seen it before. What's it called?

I don't have a digital camera, I've been using my mom's old 35 millimeter and an APS camera I bought with part of a tax return a few years back (before digital took off). Scanned in the images. So I actually HAVE some of my work on my machine. It's a start. Just picked up the Adobe CS for my new home business and started looking at GoLive. Whew. Got some MAJOR training before me.

As soon as I can get it up...I'll let you know. :D

Cheers!