PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh!!!

Eric McTavish
08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Sorry, been batteling with Fundie's misconceptions and need some cheering up...there are some intelligent and sane people in this world arent there????? :shock:

Absinthe d'Accalia
08-30-2004, 10:45 AM
There are! Just look around here and you'll see a sea of intelligent and (relatively) sane folks! :D

Antonio_della_furfante
08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok take a deep breath, renfaire is just a few days away! :D

MacKahlia
08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
I will admit intelligence... Sanity.... well, thats a little different...
just hang in.

RichardMacHugely
08-30-2004, 03:46 PM
there are some intelligent and sane people in this world arent there?????

Yes there are. In fact, I met one myself once. Her name was Betty. She smelled like lilac.

Naturally, I stalked her.

Kerowyn (fire)Hawke
08-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Define sane..... Hugs hun, I get the same thing around here. Just breath and remind yourself that you are loved.

Keeley135
08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
HEY!!! Who you callin' SANE???!!???!!

Eric McTavish
08-31-2004, 08:00 AM
ok feeling a bit better now :?

Katerinka Kotenoka
08-31-2004, 12:10 PM
You know I'm hanging onto sanity by a thread... intelligence yes....but borderline insanity! Maybe it's my guy buddies I hang out with... they're taking me down into the pits of doom w/them! EEK! Wait...did I just eek?

Foxglove2660
09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
some intelligent and sane people in this world

Intelligence I offer freely... I won't promise sanity...

:grouphug:

Adriana Rose
09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
:smooch: :grouphug:
feel better!
We all hold some sembleance of sanity here :D

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Or we fake it pretty good, Adriana! :wink: (but sanity is the ONLY thing we fake...)

Adriana Rose
09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
:twisted: :wink:

Eric McTavish
09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
OK I know it's silly and naive of me but I am still shocked at the amount of pure hate some "Christians" have against us... It really bothers me!

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think it is silly or naive of you Eric. I think we'd like to have people hold themselves up to the same or similar standards/ideals that we have ourselves - respect for each other, the ability to appreciate someone else's ideology/theology without necessarily subscribing to it, and just the common decency to be non-judgmental of another human being. :meow:

Foxglove2660
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
intolerant people confuse me. :?

MacKahlia
09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
intolerant people confuse me, too. they also hurt me and make me worry about my job. School teacher and all.... I have to try and keep the kids from finding out my religion, while its against my very nature not to be honest when asked.... it sucks.
I hate having to deal with stupid, ignorant people :x

Sunshine O'Brightly
09-08-2004, 05:46 PM
OK I know it's silly and naive of me but I am still shocked at the amount of pure hate some "Christians" have against us... It really bothers me!

I think alot of this hate stems from a deep seated fear. Many still think that satan is somehow still involved (even if you explain otherwise).

It just downright scares the snot out of 'em and it comes out in very ugly ways.

What was your latest experience?

Eric McTavish
09-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Ok honestly this was all my fault but...
I've been going to the "Christian Exodus" http://christianexodus.org/index.php?module=PostWrap&page=home Webpage forums (I'm interested in conspiracy theories and stuff like that so this site attracted me just for the similarities to a few theories out there) well theirs a spot on their forums for "I donít agree with your movement" as a place to "learn" about their Ideals so I went and posted and WHAMMO, I have never been on the receiving end of so much hatred! I began by not even mentioning my beliefs... but soon the issue of "those 'Evil' witches came up so I popped in to defend things (nobody else would) I even posted WitchVox's FAQ on Wicca and then the fecal matter really hit the rotating air circulation system! It's basically gone downhill from there. I know what your gonna say stop posting or looking at the site but it's like a car wreak! I just think that sooner or later common sence will prevail! I even agree with some things on the board like Religious extracurricular clubs at the schools (as long as any group is aloud to start one and it's run by the students and not the school) but their reaction was no only Christian (and only their specific view of Christianity) should be allowed oh and maybe Jewish but thatís it!
I just canít believe that such a LARGE group of people can be so hateful and even more frightening organized in that hatred.

emalia
09-09-2004, 08:29 AM
intolerant people confuse me, too. they also hurt me and make me worry about my job. School teacher and all.... I have to try and keep the kids from finding out my religion, while its against my very nature not to be honest when asked.... it sucks.
I hate having to deal with stupid, ignorant people :x

I just reply that I am spiritual.. I think that sums it up nicely, and politically correct.

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Emalia - I use a similar tack - I say that I'm a child of the Divine. Covers the whole thing pretty neatly. :wink:

Leela
09-25-2004, 06:49 PM

Ok honestly this was all my fault but...
I've been going to the "Christian Exodus" http://christianexodus.org/index.php?module=PostWrap&page=home Webpage forums (I'm interested in conspiracy theories and stuff like that so this site attracted me just for the similarities to a few theories out there) well theirs a spot on their forums for "I donít agree with your movement" as a place to "learn" about their Ideals so I went and posted and WHAMMO, I have never been on the receiving end of so much hatred!

Whew Eric.

I just clicked on your link and read a bit of the home page and realized that going further would be the equivalent of diving into a pool of acid.

I, too, know the desire of wanting to try to understand where certain groups are coming from..know thy enemy is sometimes what it feels like when confronted with such a group of organized, paranoid, and terrified people. But you intruded on their turf. And as someone who is not afraid and ripe for indoctrination into the order, you terrified the bejeezus out of them. No wonder they went at you with both barrels (and a flamethrower and a bazooka) blazing.

Deep breath.

There are ways to learn about these cults and behaviors, and letting yourself experience the worst is one way of getting a sense of them, but really, you can't look at it objectively while you're in the thick of battle. The best you can do when you are surrounded is remain calm and look for the nearest escape route.

People will only change when they are ready. All the talking and persuasion in the world isn't going to do anything until they are able to ask questions without fear. Talking one on one? Fine. Taking on a hoard? Well...sure you wouldn't like a nice trip to the fiery pits of hell instead? I hear it's rather nice this time of year. :wink:

But I have to say, you've got guts going in there like you did, and hats of to you for that, and for having the interest and humanity to try talking it out.

Respectfully,

biker
09-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Emalia - I use a similar tack - I say that I'm a child of the Divine. Covers the whole thing pretty neatly. :wink:

now has a joke Ive told people Im a agent of satan, but my duties are mostly cermonial.

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-25-2004, 10:58 PM
That's funny Biker :snicker:

Leela
09-26-2004, 07:21 AM

...my duties are mostly cermonial.

Is THAT what you call it? :twisted:

Eric McTavish
09-27-2004, 08:41 AM
But I have to say, you've got guts going in there like you did, and hats of to you for that, and for having the interest and humanity to try talking it out.

Respectfully,

Wow thanks for that! I really needed some cheering up today... had a really REALLY bad weekend... :cry:

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Eric McTavish Writes:

Wow thanks for that! I really needed some cheering up today... had a really REALLY bad weekend...

:smooch: Here's hoping your week will be better...

Eric McTavish
09-27-2004, 09:19 AM

It can't be worse... Thurs night I had a "Cardiac Episode" and had to go to the ER... TinkerWench is a bit beside herself with worry right now...

Nightfire
09-27-2004, 09:37 AM
I don't like this one bit, but all I can say, is that they aren't all like that. :) :? :)

Leela
09-27-2004, 10:49 AM

It can't be worse... Thurs night I had a "Cardiac Episode" and had to go to the ER... TinkerWench is a bit beside herself with worry right now...

:shock:

Okay. So. NO EXTRA STRESS FOR YOU, YOUNG ROGUE!!!

Take care of yourself, :grouphug:

Eric McTavish
09-27-2004, 11:18 AM

:shock:

Okay. So. NO EXTRA STRESS FOR YOU, YOUNG ROGUE!!!

Take care of yourself, :grouphug:

I'm doing my best!

Adriana Rose
09-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Hang in there Eric things are gonna get better fron here! :smooch: :grouphug:
And don't let those closed minded people get under your skin, they have the idea that they are always right. I have lost count of how many times that an a mother pulled her kids away when she saw my pentical. Or how many times a stupid jock said " Are you gonna cast a spell on me?" To that I calmly reply, " How do you know I haven't" that shuts them up.
Now back to my piont. Things are gonna get better, and you are gonna get better too :grouphug: :smooch:
Smile and tell those closed minded people to piss off. It really works!

Eric McTavish
09-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Now back to my piont. Things are gonna get better, and you are gonna get better too :grouphug: :smooch:
Smile and tell those closed minded people to piss off. It really works!

Well I did find some great comebacks on the "net" check these out...

Responses to Nasty Fundies
Kaatryn MacMorgan

Effective Answers When Christians Get Nasty:

"I forgive you for your acts against me, here, have the other cheek"
"Here seems you have a plank stuck there, lemme help you pull it out"
"<<Insert nasty word here>>, huh?? That word in the bible??"
"Seems to be you're not being exactly christ-like. How about this. You go out and become a real christian, then we can discuss our religions together"
"Which bible would that be? Masonic, gideon, kjv, nce, satanic, greek orthodox, book of mormon, apocrypha, torah...??"
"Funky, I don't recall christ ever saying that."
And my favorites:
"So basically, as a christian, you believe that do unto others thing. So what you're saying is that you want me to belittle your faith. I don't play those games, but you might want to try http://www.Antichrist.Com."
"That's okay. You are misrepresenting your faith and mine. Seems to be a pattern with you. Maybe you should talk to a minister."
"Well, actually, you've got my faith completely wrong, but that's understandable, i've studied it, you haven't. But I forgive you."
"I affirm your right to act like a moron, and I promise I will not hold it againsts real christians, in fact, I forgive you."

Responses to "I will pray you find Christ"

"What, he lost?"
"Will that prayer be in a marketplace or on a street corner"
"Edwin Goodenough, a scholar of religions, studied many cultures and noticed that in most of them, the feeling of having lost one's faith was as real as losing a leg or a hand. I hope you're happy praying someone lose their faith, and I pray that it never works should someone do it to you."
"You know, Pat Robertson says that there are satanists out there praying good christians lose their faith. And you pray I lose mine...And you are different from them in what way??"
"I won't pray you lose your faith, though you'd pray I lose mine. I will pray you find yours, though."

Responses to Jesus Loves You!!

"Jesus loves me? Sure, if jesus loves me, he loves my religion, it is a sacred part of me I won't be changing anytime soon."
"Yes, dear, but Apollo loves me more and he's a hottie."
"Then why doesn't he return my phone calls??"
Lastly, When I'm Feeling Really Nasty:
"You know, I want to thank you. It's folk like you that have made my religion grow and grow. Who knows, without enemies our faith might've died out, again, I thank you!!"

note: no disrespect ment to the Christian members of these boards...

Constance Innuendo
09-28-2004, 07:15 PM
As a christian I would have to say that if anyone is offended by those statements it might be because they're hitting too close to home. . . .personally. .. I thought they were hilarious. . . .
and another response to "have you found Jesus?" "Yes! can you believe he was behind the couch the whole time?!"

As a christian naturalist. . . .I find that more often than not I get along better with pagans than other types of christians. . .SOME other christians find out about herbalism and me practicing folk magic and uh suddenly. . . .they're like "(backing away slowly) thats great. . .you do your thing, but you DO know you're going to hell right?" Which to me is absolutely the most unchristian sentiment possible. . . .
Pagans on the other hand hear about who I am/what I do and are like 'cool . . .thats really similar to a lot of things we do. . .different god though. . . . ' end of story. . .. I can tell you who I'd honestly rather deal with:)

Eric McTavish
09-29-2004, 07:55 AM
LOL I know the feeling, and I understand that some Christian Sects require their members to "testify" to the unsaved but, when say not intrested I expect it to stop, no have the effort redoubled! :shock:

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-29-2004, 08:42 AM
We had some folks come through our subdivision last Saturday, doing their 'witnessing' thing. Hubby said to not even bother answering the door, as were in mid-pancake breakfast, but I did - albeit with a hand on the collars of both of our dogs, who were doing their best Cujo imitations at the time. After a polite 'may I help you?' from me, they looked at me, looked at the dogs and turned around and walked away from the house. I guess I didn't look like I needed to be saved... 8)

Eric McTavish
09-29-2004, 08:46 AM
We had some folks come through our subdivision last Saturday, doing their 'witnessing' thing. Hubby said to not even bother answering the door, as were in mid-pancake breakfast, but I did - albeit with a hand on the collars of both of our dogs, who were doing their best Cujo imitations at the time. After a polite 'may I help you?' from me, they looked at me, looked at the dogs and turned around and walked away from the house. I guess I didn't look like I needed to be saved... 8)

LOL down Cujo bad dog, no! No, you cant eat the Fundies...

:shock: sorry weird image just popped into my head there.

Antonio_della_furfante
09-29-2004, 12:22 PM
On that note

http://ohmygods.timerift.net/strips/2004/09/07.jpg

Oh my Gods is a very liberal comic "a comic for the polythesitic masses" enjoy!

Eric McTavish
09-29-2004, 12:27 PM
I LOVE "oh my gods" !!!! GREAT COMIC!!!

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Poo. All I see is a red 'x' and no comic. :?

Antonio_della_furfante
09-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Oh my Gods!

http://ohmygods.timerift.net/

Very liberal comic; you have been warned.

Best read from the begining.

Absinthe d'Accalia
09-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Grazie, Antonio! :smooch: I'll have to do some reading this evening!

Eric McTavish
09-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Trust me you'll love that comic!!! :D

Antonio_della_furfante
09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Grazie, Antonio! :smooch: I'll have to do some reading this evening!

:wink: Not a problem signorina, my pleasure

just remember when dying your hair read say your using babies blood really loudly in front of the fundie! ^^

Ravynne
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
It's not just us. ALL folks who don't adhere to their ideal of "okay" are abused. But sometimes, just sometimes...folks do make a stand. A friend pointed me to this...and I pass this along just for a giggle. This person had a GREAT presence of mind to deal with the situation in this way:

http://www.ezoons.com/2004/09/19/show_tunes_1_fundamentalists_0.html

Make sure you read the whole thing...it goes on...

Enjoy!

Eric McTavish
09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok now I wish I had seen that!