PDA

View Full Version : Those Lemony Snickett books...

Daelyn
10-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Has anyone read them? Are they a decent read? I ask, because we went to catch "Sky Captain" at the theater this week, and they showed a preview for a movie based on "A Series of Unfortunate Events"... the music sounded like a cross twixt Harry Potter and Nightmare Before Christmas, and Jim Carrey was playing the uncle-ish guy...
So, are the books worth the time to read? *curious*

Morte
10-03-2004, 03:43 PM
They're great!
they're very well written and amusing, if rather grim. next time you're in a bookstore pick one up and read the introduction... or better yet, check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0064407667/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-5714508-2728948#reader-page
i love the first two (im anal about reading things in order and that's all i have so far.

one of ym favorite thing about them is that the children are very bright and the book uses big words, but explains them in an easy to accept format that isn't jarring even to an adult reader.

they have a very narrative style, it's as if your creepy aunt is reading you a story

i hope you enjoy them!

Mairi the Herbwench
10-04-2004, 10:42 AM
I've also read just the first two- stole them from my niece - and I thought they were great!! Now I want them all!

Absinthe d'Accalia
10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I've read the first three - they were great! I can have a bit of dark sense of humor, so they definitely appealed to me. Plus they were super quick reads.

Emrld
10-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I have read all 11 that are currently out. And the Unoffical Auto Biography
I can't remember the website at the moment but, Harper Collins is the publisher. (Just google Lemony Snickett)
The web site has some games and work sheets that kids are supposed to enjoy (I don't have kids so I don't know)

I have truly been enjoying the series. I started them because I saw the preview for the movie with the local children's librarian at another movie. On Children's movies I like to read the book first then see the movie. (Other way around with Adult movies . . . like "The Firm")

I can't wait for my nephew to be old enough to enjoy them so that I can share with him.

Just as an FYI the movie is only based on the first three books.

Psyche
10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
We have them all and love them. Can't wait for the movie!

vanessa
10-07-2004, 05:24 PM
my mother got the first 8 in a series for my son last holidays and the whole family devoured them as we were in a post - Harry Potter doldrums (we had all just finished the latest book and were wanting something else to read).... we're now read all the ones that are out...

the movie that's coming out is actually based on the events of the first 3 books, so if you've only read the first two, get the third before you see the movie! :)

Will Tessa
10-07-2004, 06:24 PM
well, i guess i know what I'm reading after bitten and incubus dreams.

Cupcake149
10-08-2004, 05:29 PM
read #3 as my entertainment during the kids day today. Gonna go get 4 & 5 to keep me entertained next week.

How long until the movie???

Will Tessa
10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
i bought the first one last night, and got half way through it. so far, i like them.

Emrld
10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
I got an update from Harper Collins. They have some new books coming out along with the movie. The are calling them "movie tie in" They also have behind the scenes with Count Olaf and a games book

Will Tessa
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
I finished the first book and am almost done with the second. I like them. pretty good stuff. can't wait to see how they are going to do the movie though, seeing how its supposed to be based on the first three or something , right?