PDA

View Full Version : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Strange Jane
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
I was curious as to if anyone else has read The Gospel According to Biff.
I just finished it, it was the funniest thing I think I have ever read. :rotfl:
If there was ever a book to convert me to Christianity this would have been it... :twisted:

Curious as to what others thought...

Bonnie Strangeways
10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I was curious as to if anyone else has read The Gospel According to Biff.
I just finished it, it was the funniest thing I think I have ever read. :rotfl:
If there was ever a book to convert me to Christianity this would have been it... :twisted:

Curious as to what others thought...

Oh yes, I've read it twice. I loved it, but was concerned that it might offend some people, so was afraid to post anything here. (lacing on the bulletproof bloomers!)

I truly found it hysterical, and yet, if you look past all of the witty prose and social issues, the message of the book was one of the most peaceful and glorious I've ever had the privilege of reading.

Of course, I *live* for the irreverence of it all!!!!

Strange Jane
10-12-2004, 04:37 PM
My intent is not to offend, just wanted to see if anyone shared my like for the story.
Unfortunately we can't please everyone.

Will Tessa
10-12-2004, 04:41 PM
never heard of it! but I'm interested - what's the deal with it? who's it by?

Strange Jane
10-12-2004, 05:42 PM
It is a ficton story filling in the gaps from Christ's birth to his death, in a humorous yet touching manor.
It is by Christopher Moore.

Cupcake149
10-12-2004, 06:01 PM
As a Catholic Sunday School teacher, I found it HYSTERICAL!!!! Loved every minute of reading it.

Yes, it is very irreverent (sp?) & in many ways just wrong, but that's what I liked about it.

Will Tessa
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
that sounds interesting ! thanks alot! I'm going to go check that out.

po silvertop the rogue
10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I thought it was hilarious!

But then again- I'm a Moore fan- all of his stuff is worth a read- it's all hysterically twisted-

if you liked this one- you should read his new one- "The Stupidest Angel" it's an Xmas story for those of us who get tired of Xmas stories... (I root for the grinch every year and every year he and scrooge disappoint me... sigh.)

-The SwashBOOKlin' Rogue:

Strange Jane
10-12-2004, 06:55 PM
if you liked this one- you should read his new one- "The Stupidest Angel" it's an Xmas story for those of us who get tired of Xmas stories... (I root for the grinch every year and every year he and scrooge disappoint me... sigh.)

The Stupidest Angel? Hmmmm...sounds like my kind of book...and it's not about Raziel? :lol:

One of my friends had suggested Biff, but it sounds like I should check out Chistopher Moores other books as well.

I gave up on the Grinch and Scrooge along time ago...along with the hope that the easter bunny has "SHARP POINTY TEETH!" *does hand movements and voice*

lauradake
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Himself (a Christian) and I (a pagan) read this out loud to each other on our cross-country trip from Raleigh, NC to Los Angeles last summer. It was a glorious way to make the hours fly by - and we both found it a very sweet, touching, funny book. :)

pngwnmama
10-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Stupidest Angel os now avaialable. The other is actually called Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff. And it is funny and I have suggested to preists and nuns to read who come back and tell me that found it hysterical and well written. lol. His first book, Practical Demonkeeping, is wonderful and a must read for Christopher Moore fans.

Blue Pixie
10-13-2004, 01:57 AM
O these books sound really good

I'Cin
11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm just finishing Biff. Blasphemous .... and absolutely hilarious. Lots of Monty Python-esque scenes:
(After an early attempt at raising a dead Roman soldier, and the soldier's superior: "You're, you're dead." ... "Am not." "You have knife wounds all over your chest." ... "Seems I have been nicked, sir." "Nicked? Nicked? You've been stabbed half a dozen times. You're dead as dirt." "I don't think so, sir. Look, I'm not even bleeding." "That's because you've bled out, son. You're dead." ... "I am feeling a little woozy.")

Explains a lot about Christianity, too. A friend of mine who is a good Catholic (I'm a very bad Catholic - pretty much not one anymore) has asked to borrow it.

Off to Borders website with my gift cards to look for more Moore.

I'Cin

Fiona Freckl'dbottom
11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
I want that. Sounds like a fun read.

And The Stupidest Angel sounds like a lot of fun too!

pngwnmama
11-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Read the Stupidest Angel in one sitting. Had to. Too funny to put down! :rotfl: